M 10 R black paint shutter button failure ?

dieter123456

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Hope you never buy a new Leica product that has a problem requiring exchange. You’ll have to switch brands. 

Jeff

Has never happened to any product I’ve bought new. 

My camera is the last body I’ll ever buy. Lenses, the ones I have now are perfect so I’m not so sure I’ll be getting any lenses either. I think I’m pretty set. 

money spent on plane tickets will get me better photos than money spent on gear. 1 camera and 2 lenses is all I need. 

Edited by KeyofG

2 hours ago, wogg said:

Mine was new, Nov '20, from dealer. I've never put anything in the shutter release at all. It seems to happen when the camera is having its first cold start of the day, then go away once it warms up.

Oh so it was over a year after owning it. Is it like a sticky shutter button? Did you try spraying contact cleaner? When I had an XT2 it had a sticky shutter button and it got very bad when I was in an island with very humid weather. To the point where it was down and it wouldn’t pop back up. I sprayed a little contact cleaner and that fixed it. If it happened in a few months again I would spray contact cleaner again. 

NOTE: This is NOT WD-40. This is Contact Cleaner. Never spray WD-40 on your digital camera. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by KeyofG

17 minutes ago, KeyofG said:

Has never happened to any product I’ve bought new. 

My camera is the last body I’ll ever buy. Lenses, the ones I have now are perfect so I’m not so sure I’ll be getting any lenses either. I think I’m pretty set. 

money spent on plane tickets will get me better photos than money spent on gear. 1 camera and 2 lenses is all I need. 

So no need for forum gear talk, which is most of it, outside of photo sections.

Jeff 

9 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

So no need for forum gear talk, which is most of it, outside of photo sections.

Jeff 

Unless there’s a potential issue with the camera I bought 6 months ago. I want to investigate that. We aren’t talking gear here. We are talking about an issue with 1 particular camera  

seems like shutter button issues are spread out. Normal 10Rs, other M10s  MPs. Etc. Some reports that Leica said it was “known” with the 10R BP. So I’m investigating when they were bought and if they addressed the issue.

No bodies. But lenses it’s a possibility. 

Edited by KeyofG

7 minutes ago, KeyofG said:

We aren’t talking gear here. We are talking about an issue with 1 particular camera  

That’s part what I mean by gear talk, but no matter. Some here experienced this problem with new a camera, which is why I commented about buying used vs new.  Buying new doesn’t preclude problems, despite your good experience.  This is but one of many issues, for many products, reported here over the years.  The good news is that reputable dealers will routinely expedite repairs or replacement when necessary. Until then, nobody can predict what will happen to your specific camera, regardless of serial or purchase date, AFAIK.

Jeff

On 5/1/2022 at 11:49 PM, Jeff S said:

nobody can predict what will happen to your specific camera, regardless of serial or purchase date, AFAIK.

Hopefully I’m in the majority. 7 months later that shutter button is like butter still. 

I’ve read about this issue with the normal 10R also. 

have they said what exactly caused the button failure?

Edited by KeyofG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/1/2022 at 8:46 PM, wogg said:

Mine was new, Nov '20, from dealer. I've never put anything in the shutter release at all. It seems to happen when the camera is having its first cold start of the day, then go away once it warms up.

Does it feel like a sticky button? Gummed up? Like you press and it sticks down there? Like this from the M240 board 

“Wondering if anyone has run into this? 

It seems to have developed over the last few months on my 2.5yr old M240. 

I noticed a few months back that in between shoots, the shutter release got very stiff. 
The first click (when powered on or off) there was a lot of resistance, and I could not feel the two-step shutter release (half press / full press). 
Once I clicked once, it loosened back up and behaved like normal.”

Edited by KeyofG

59 minutes ago, KeyofG said:

. .have they said what exactly caused the button failure?

Post# 3, but I haven’t read anything official.  My M10-R (BP) and M10 Monochrom have fared well, so far. I don’t worry about it, and would have a backup for any important project or trip, regardless of this.

Jeff

On 12/7/2021 at 11:12 PM, cheeseyk said:

I have the same issue with the shutter release on my M10R BP. It's a minor irritant but obviously on a camera that is this expensive I want it put right. Customer care in London can send it to Wetzlar but it's likely to be gone for 10 to 12 weeks🤨

It’s weird because I can see a pattern. Either it develops after 1 day of use, so obviously something wrong from the factory, or it developed after 5 or 6 months of use. 🤷🏻‍♂️ … But mostly everyone who reported it here (which is only maybe like around 10 people) they said it happened very quickly after they bought it. I’ve only read 2 or 3, you and Photon and maybe someone else, that it happened 5 or 6 months after purchase. 

mine is 7 months (built in September night in October 2021) and everything works like new. And I’ve shot a LOT with it. I can’t count how many shots I’ve taken but thousands. 

I’m going to assume I’m in the majority. 

6 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

My M10-R (BP) and M10 Monochrom have fared well, so far 

Mine too. M10R BP 7 months later it’s like butter. So I’m going to assume we are in the majority and maybe about a dozen people got unlucky here. From what I read here the vast majority had this issue within a day or two of purchase. 

I just want more people without issues to post too. That way it doesn’t give the impression that ALL BP M10R have this problem. 

Edited by KeyofG

On 8/1/2021 at 4:43 PM, dieter123456 said:

Has anybody here experienced the shutter button on the M 10 r BP refusing to fire after half-pressing it ? 
I had to send mine back to Wetzlar where apparently they did not hear of this problem yet. 
🙂

Hello, the exact same thing happened to me. The camera would freeze up after half pressing the shutter and refuse to fire. In the end I was able to substitute it for another M10 r BP. All has been fine with that new camera for months until I used it yesterday and it did exactly the same thing. I really hope it’s not a faulty batch. 😬

On 5/1/2022 at 1:55 AM, KeyofG said:

FWIW, mine is

Made: Sept. 9, 2021

Purchased: Oct. 12, 2021

Shutter: Buttery Smooth

I am going to take a wild guess and declare that a lot of these shutter failures can be tracked back to people using these stupid soft shutter release buttons. If you’re using it, stop. They’re not needed. 

I have never used a soft shutter release … my first M10 r BP was declared DOA after consistently refusing to fire (then the screen froze too) and it was sent back to Wetzlar. I then luckily managed to get a replacement

7 hours ago, Balancetransfer said:

I have never used a soft shutter release … my first M10 r BP was declared DOA after consistently refusing to fire (then the screen froze too) and it was sent back to Wetzlar. I then luckily managed to get a replacement

Did you buy it soon after it was released?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2021 at 4:45 PM, wrussell said:

I have the same issue with mine. 1 day old. Took like 30 photos before it started happening, and then took 100+ more that night to confirm the action. Cable release works fine so it must be something mechanical in the button housing/action. Did anyone in this thread get resolution without tearing camera apart? I hate digging into a brand new 10k camera body…

Hi all I had the same problem on one of my M10M's: shutter rarely fires when pressed all the way (I could get it to fire if i "mashed" the button, but that ain't a good idea if you want images w/o movement blur 😉)

Also didn't like sending a brand new camera in for service, knowing that gonna take ages ...

After some experimenting found out the shutter fires just fine with a cable release (which presses on a pin inside the centre of the shutter button mechanism). so I cut off a piece of small plastic rod to around 2 mm length, placed it in the centre of the shutter button (where the cable release pin usually goes) and closed it off using a soft release button. the soft release button pushes the plastic button down on the same pin activated by the cable release and voilá everything works fine now! 🙂

A bit of a Rube Goldberg construction, but it worked for me!

Best rgds

Hendrik

www.hendriximages.com

• 2 weeks later...

I’m an M10R owner literally from the very beginning. This has been an issue for me from day 1. I came up with a number of reasons why “I thought” this issue was happening, metering, etc. Finally, after thinking now, I’m going to search and see if this might be posted somewhere, so here I am.

This information is very helpful, but dismaying that a BRAND NEW camera at this level needs to be repaired. I shoot a lot of Leica’s. Im glad that I still own my M10.

• 1 month later...

my M10R is not the black paint, just black- shutter fails and I have missed 2 shots I needed because of it

sent it back, under warranty and was told it was fine- tried new batteries, new SD cards- still happens

big trip common up- will send it again once that trip is over- love the camera, need it to never fail-

no problems with my Q2 Reporter-

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Vinncent:

Is it the way you’re pressing the button? Because if you press it just on the corner of the button and not straight down then sometimes it won’t register the press. 

Not at all

• 2 months later...

Mine failed to fire at some very inopportune times and started to fail regularly.  Sent it to Leica in NJ who tore the camera apart and replaced the sensor.  They were moving so it took about 8 weeks.  Got it back and the shutter still failed from time to time.  So, it’s back at Leica NJ.  I will call them Monday to make sure they’re replacing the shutter entirely after reading this thread.  Pisses me off to spend $9k and have this happen.  My Fujis never had this issue, for a lot less money.