Anti-reflective black mounting area next to sensor

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey all!

So while being in the heat of the moment, me dumba*s, who never has anything but M-Lenses on his CL, wanted to change lenses and in a moment of brainlessness removed the M-to-L-Adapter with the lens and with a routined muscle-memory started mounting my M lens on the CL without the M-to-L-Adapter ... for a split second... immediately removed the lens again realizing the Adapter is missing...

But the bayonet of the M Lens bumped the inside of the CL's mount slightly, and after inspection at home the bayonet seemed to have scraped the inside of the CL mount, this super matte anti reflective area around the sensor. Blew with the rocketblower to clean it, and then in a moment of indecisive nervousness I took a (what I deemed to be clean and soft) microfiber cloth and tried cleaning the scratched area to see if the scratch maybe is mostly just leftover dirt and not a real scratch. 
Turned out yes. Not really a scratch, black coating is fine! But my cloth has polished the black matte paint and I'm left with a ... less matte black and more shiny coating at that area now...

Yeah I know weird topic but I never ever had to deal with that area in all those years, most full frame camera don't have a large enough attack-area so that this coating might be damaged anyways, but this gorgeous CL has an APS-C in a Full Frame L Mount area, so the anti reflective black coating is rather a large area. 

Does that matter? Could become problematic that it is now more shiny? Or doesn't matter at all as long as it is black and no silver shines through? 

Y'all have a nice day :)

Edited by Marckyokay

Yeah the first idea of course is to look through the EVF, point to a light source, make some pics... No problem so far.  
I'm just kinda nervous and wanted to hear if anybody (with maybe well used CLs TLs) can calm me that these things happen / there is no deficit along the line with this... 

What I know is that it is quite a common mistake. 
It happens to me once with an M body cap put on the CL instead of an L body cap. 
No scratch at all. Hopefully body cap are plastic instead of steel or brass. 
But some used TL, CL or even SL exhibited some scratches on the inner black mask. You are not alone. 
It can happen. But when I saw this. I would ask for a substantial discount. 
But I don’t think that it will be really detrimental to image quality 

I see, it is a bit calming to hear from others it is not a rare mistake. Upon reading your message I got the idea of checking out some used CL and TL offerings. 

Indeed many exhibit light or sometimes strong marks in that area! Interesting. 
Luckily I didn'T really "scratch" or "scrape off" the black paint. Just "polished" it a little bit more shiny with the microfiber cloth... Also good to learn that a microfiber cloth has the capability to do that with this area... Good to know and to avoid next time. 

I checked the construction of the L to M Adapter and the bayonet of the M lens seems to be super close to the sensor anyway, so the extra shininess will probably not do any reflecting.  

• Haha 1