Do late model M6 TTLs already have MP finder?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was wondering if M6 TTL cameras made in around 1998 had already transitioned to the MP finder, or if you would still need to replace the finder from such a camera? Was thinking of purchasing one of these and vaguely remember hearing something about Leica transitioning to the MP finder in later model M6s, but not sure if this is actually true...

1 minute ago, augustwest100 said:

I was wondering if M6 TTL cameras made in around 1998 had already transitioned to the MP finder, or if you would still need to replace the finder from such a camera? Was thinking of purchasing one of these and vaguely remember hearing something about Leica transitioning to the MP finder in later model M6s, but not sure if this is actually true...

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the M6 TTL has the MP finder, based purely on my early M7 that I purchased in 2002 doesn't even have the MP finder.  In my case, I'm looking to have Leica upgrade it, sometimes the rangefinder patch in my M7 whites out to the extent that it can be barely usable for me, even after readjusting my eye through the viewfinder.  I find my M7 generally harder to focus than my M240. I don't know how much closer an MP finder will get me towards the clear and contrasty M240 finder (ie, is contrast even better in the M240 onwards due to their electronic framelines?), but perhaps someone can opine?

28 minutes ago, Jon Warwick said:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the M6 TTL has the MP finder, based purely on my early M7 that I purchased in 2002 doesn't even have the MP finder.  In my case, I'm looking to have Leica upgrade it, sometimes the rangefinder patch in my M7 whites out to the extent that it can be barely usable for me, even after readjusting my eye through the viewfinder.  I find my M7 generally harder to focus than my M240. I don't know how much closer an MP finder will get me towards the clear and contrasty M240 finder (ie, is contrast even better in the M240 onwards due to their electronic framelines?), but perhaps someone can opine?

I have owned and used the M240 and MP film camera without experiencing any issue with white out, though I have sometimes drooled over the gigantic M3 finder. If you upgrade the finder, I'm sure you will see a difference, but whether the difference is worth the cost of the upgrade is probably a question of a more personal nature. From your answer to my question, it sounds like there was no "automatic" switchover to the MP finder in the late model M6 TTLs? Would be good if someone in the forum could confirm this, but it sounds like that is where this is headed...thanks! 

• Like 1

No they didn't have the MP finder because one of the selling points of the MP was its improved finder. But I've been using M cameras for forty years and on the very rare occasions of white out moving my viewing eye a fraction solved it. The whole thing is one of those Leica myths that people would have carried on coping with if not for Leica introducing the insecurity offered by 'an improved' finder.

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 1

MP finder were found only on MP and M7 produced after the introduction of MP in 2003. 
Therefore M6 TTL did not have it. 

Also bare in mind that you cannot repair M6 TTL light meter anymore. Except if your local repair shop still has parts available. Otherwise M6 TTL with failed light meter will become a kind of M4-P. 

If you have the choice. Classic M6 is a better choice than M6 TTL. 
Because M6 and MP share the same electronic parts. 
M7 will eventually run out of electronic parts too in the future. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

MP finder were found only on MP and M7 produced after the introduction of MP in 2003. 
Therefore M6 TTL did not have it. 

Also bare in mind that you cannot repair M6 TTL light meter anymore. Except if your local repair shop still has parts available. Otherwise M6 TTL with failed light meter will become a kind of M4-P. 

If you have the choice. Classic M6 is a better choice than M6 TTL. 
Because M6 and MP share the same electronic parts. 
M7 will eventually run out of electronic parts too in the future. 

Hmm...it was for this reason, I was originally looking to get the M3! The option became available for me to pick up an M6TTL with .85 finder so that got my attention! Maybe I should continue my search for an M3 in working condition. Thanks for the heads up.

Now, all we need to do is find a way to make a digital camera without any electronics! Hahaha...

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 minutes ago, augustwest100 said:

Hmm...it was for this reason, I was originally looking to get the M3! The option became available for me to pick up an M6TTL with .85 finder so that got my attention! Maybe I should continue my search for an M3 in working condition. Thanks for the heads up.

Now, all we need to do is find a way to make a digital camera without any electronics! Hahaha...

Other thing is if you want the .85 magnification…. Quite some people don’t like it.

10 hours ago, augustwest100 said:

It makes me smile the way people on this forum get paranoid about the, extremely unlikely, failure of the electrics on an M7 or M6TTL but will happily buy an M10R.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Danner said:

Over the last several years, I've settled on a pair of M6 classics, and that's been good.  Although, I would like an 0.58 body.

I have an 0.58 on my M6TTL and can recommend it (well it all depends what lenses you use the most).

6 hours ago, Matlock said:

I have an 0.58 on my M6TTL and can recommend it (well it all depends what lenses you use the most).

My widest today is 35mm, and I'd like to shoot 28, but wear eyeglasses.  This is why I'd like an 0.58.  But, rather not a TTL due to shutter sped dial change.  Hopefully, one day, I'll come across an MP of M-A with the 0.58 finder (but they are pretty rare).

1 hour ago, Danner said:

My widest today is 35mm, and I'd like to shoot 28, but wear eyeglasses.  This is why I'd like an 0.58.  But, rather not a TTL due to shutter sped dial change.  Hopefully, one day, I'll come across an MP of M-A with the 0.58 finder (but they are pretty rare).

I take your point but, in my case, I have an M7 and M10-D so the shutter dial matches. Having said that I don't have problems when changing to and from my M-A and IIId. 

19 hours ago, Danner said:

Over the last several years, I've settled on a pair of M6 classics, and that's been good.  Although, I would like an 0.58 body.

I have a 50mm on my .85 ttl and a 35 on my .58. Perfect combos for glasses wearers if you ask me.

Edited by plaidshirts

On 7/30/2021 at 9:59 PM, Gobert said:

Other thing is if you want the .85 magnification…. Quite some people don’t like it.

M6 TTL 0.85x is more prone to flare than standard 0.72x

Just FYI. If it bothers you, upgrade the viewfinder 

On 7/31/2021 at 8:35 AM, Matlock said:

It makes me smile the way people on this forum get paranoid about the, extremely unlikely, failure of the electrics on an M7 or M6TTL but will happily buy an M10R.

It is not the same thing. Digital is digital and analog is analog. 
People know what to expect with brand new digital M. But old analog M is another story. Some of them can be decades old  eg. M5 & CL

70-80-90’s electronics were nowhere near as reliable as today’s. 

If some models are no more repairable you ought to know. Especially when M6 TTL can be bought around 2500-3200€ nowadays. 

Repair shops and Leica stated that M6, M7 and MP electronics are still serviceable. 
But CL, M5 and M6 TTL electronics are not. 
Knowing it does not make M6 TTL less reliable. But at least you know what you are buying : a potential M4 (not a M4-P because, without electronics you also lose the hot shoe flash) 

Edited by nicci78

2 hours ago, nicci78 said:

It is not the same thing. Digital is digital and analog is analog. 
People know what to expect with brand new digital M. But old analog M is another story. Some of them can be decades old  eg. M5 & CL

70-80-90’s electronics were nowhere near as reliable as today’s. 

If some models are no more repairable you ought to know. Especially when M6 TTL can be bought around 2500-3200€ nowadays. 

Repair shops and Leica stated that M6, M7 and MP electronics are still serviceable. 
But CL, M5 and M6 TTL electronics are not. 
Knowing it does not make M6 TTL less reliable. But at least you know what you are buying : a potential M4 (not a M4-P because, without electronics you also lose the hot shoe flash) 

You make a good point but it is not quite as simple as that. With the M6TTL it rather depends on what the fault is, if it is a component fault then there is very little chance of a repair but not all faults are that serious. I have a couple of CLs and an M5 and all three are working well, if the meters stop working I will simple use a hand held meter or sunny 16. However the point I was making is the assumption that all these cameras are likely to fail at any minute and that has put a lot of potential users off some wonderful cameras. I suppose it is that old "profit of doom" syndrome that seems to be so prevalent on these forums 🙂 . 

2 hours ago, Matlock said:

... if the meters stop working I will simple use a hand held meter or sunny 16. 

Even with my M7 too, if the electronics become utterly broken and irreparable, I'm assuming it would still "work" via the 1/60 and 1/125 back-up mechanical shutter setting. 

So I don't foresee my M7 as ever becoming a paperweight; nor do I envisage 1/60 or 1/125 as that limiting, with those speeds covering many situations with (say) a 50mm or wider lens when hand-held.

Edited by Jon Warwick
  • Like 1