New firmware for the SL2? I

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought a RX100 as a companion to my M for its auto focus. If I need that I use it.

I think improvement will come in SL3 but for right now Id say use the Leica stuff for slower photography.

That said there was a german youtube where a reviewer of the Sl2  got support from Leica and they tested with a runner and the results were OK.

For quick moving kids, F stop up, speed up, Iso up and it might be ok

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It all comes down to preferences..... There is no doubt the Sony's are technological marvels. If you need/want the tech they have then they're available and you should buy one. Hoping and praying that the SL2 will get to that level is a fools errand. It won't. Not even close. Ever. Then, some will use the above to say that the SL line is "behind" or "last gen". This is false. Simply a matter of expressed disappointment or misplaced expectations. We'll get that line, "at what it costs i

This thread is full of opinions, mostly biased, being passed off as fact.  I have no doubt you found ‘articles’ that support one opinion or another.  The fact is both the Sony a1 and leica SL2 are great cameras, and one may be better than the other in a given scenario.   I just want a firmware upgrade to bring the SL2  to a level equal to the Lumix S1.  The rest of this is noise.

Are we expecting a firmware update to improve AF in the SL2 to bring it in line with the SL2-s (therefore having similar performance to the Panasonic S5)?  Have we been expecting this for some time?   Anyone know/ or can guess why it's taking so long, could it be that the SL2 hardware is not able to take this step forward in autofocus?    I am a fairly patient person, having tried a Panasonic S5 I know it's not a giant leap forward but it would be welcome, and it seems a long time coming.

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

Yes, must be the reason why the SL line is selling like hotcakes and overtaking even the M, while Sony camera division will be the next Olympus, right?

I'm sure Corolla's outsell Chiron's too. 

Posted (edited)

I think that owners have every right to expect firmware updates and bug fixes in a reasonable period. Leica needs to throw the SL line some love. They are years behind in lens releases, and months behind in firmware releases... Given the price point vs the competition, it is unacceptable, and Customers have every right to complain in these circumstances. Leica needs to step up, if Panasonic can do it, so can Leica. Firmware is just programming and testing, it shouldn't take this long. 

Where is my SL 21mm Summicron?

Edited by Andrew Gough
8 hours ago, Jk1002 said:

That said there was a german youtube where a reviewer of the Sl2  got support from Leica and they tested with a runner and the results were OK.

Yes, especially with the latest firmware update, the SL2s can keep up with a runner like the one in the video, which is a runner running alone, same speed and direction, in a controlled environment.

Not a real life situation most of the time though. Try that on a bustling city street and see if it works.

We won't see any AF-C parity with other systems before a SL3, if not a SL4. The tech is not there for non-phase detect systems.

11 hours ago, Speeding said:

Better, I have experience.

I’ve had just about every leica body since the m8 and Sony since the a7. Instead of behaving like a child, why share your experience to support your opinions?

Posted (edited)

A lot of unnecessary and pointless discussion here. I suggest you all stop and concentrate on the essential: When will the update be available ?

If I wanted a A1 I would follow a different forum. Everybody can own both a Leica and a Sony. Still we need an update here. But we need no “clever” hints to buy a A1. If we really needed one, we would buy it any time without “clever advisers”. Maybe we have already. Still we need an update for the SL2, ASAP.

And even if we have a A1, it adds other problems and other frustrations. This is simply normal. So stop telling us the A1 is perfect. This is no forum for Sony marketing. Nobody believes it anyway.

Edited by caissa
29 minutes ago, AKorenc said:

The A1 is also twice the camera that the SL2 is.

It depends what your priorities are. The SL2 has a better interface, better lenses, better colour, better IBIS, and of course it works better with M lenses. The A1 has more speed, but it's not as fast as Canon and Nikon's professional bodies.

There's no point in arguing this over and over again. In the end, we each pick the one that we like best, and that suits us best. Obviously, if you absolutely have to have the fastest camera on the market, you will choose Canon or Nikon. That's what they excel at. Leica is a great choice if you want a camera that is easy to use and intuitive, if you like their colour science, and if you want no-compromise lenses (not including extreme telephoto, which is a special case). I don't see the point of criticizing others for having different priorities.

10 hours ago, Timkr said:

I’ve had just about every leica body since the m8 and Sony since the a7. Instead of behaving like a child, why share your experience to support your opinions?

My experience with Sony's dating back to the A7 is they are miles behind in build quality, reliability, handling, GUI, IBIS, weather sealing and M-mount lens performance vs SL2.  Not to mention like using an appliance with a shutter button.  

20 hours ago, BernardC said:

The A1 has more speed, but it's not as fast as Canon and Nikon's professional bodies.

Really? You must be living in some kind of a parallel universe then, because in this wold A1 is the fastest (if the definition for speed is fps) by a significant margin and the speed is also coupled with a superior resolution.

Here is one listing for you to study the specs: https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/buying-guides/the-best-cameras-for-professionals

You can look down on Sony all you like but please don't make things up.