Jump to content

New firmware for the SL2? I


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It all comes down to preferences..... There is no doubt the Sony's are technological marvels. If you need/want the tech they have then they're available and you should buy one. Hoping and praying that the SL2 will get to that level is a fools errand. It won't. Not even close. Ever. Then, some will use the above to say that the SL line is "behind" or "last gen". This is false. Simply a matter of expressed disappointment or misplaced expectations. We'll get that line, "at what it costs i

This thread is full of opinions, mostly biased, being passed off as fact.  I have no doubt you found ‘articles’ that support one opinion or another.  The fact is both the Sony a1 and leica SL2 are great cameras, and one may be better than the other in a given scenario.   I just want a firmware upgrade to bring the SL2  to a level equal to the Lumix S1.  The rest of this is noise.

Are we expecting a firmware update to improve AF in the SL2 to bring it in line with the SL2-s (therefore having similar performance to the Panasonic S5)?  Have we been expecting this for some time?   Anyone know/ or can guess why it's taking so long, could it be that the SL2 hardware is not able to take this step forward in autofocus?    I am a fairly patient person, having tried a Panasonic S5 I know it's not a giant leap forward but it would be welcome, and it seems a long time coming.

Posted Images

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, LBJ2 said:

Today is July 30th! Last working day of the month 😃😎

Someone in the other thread mentioned it is now "end of summer" for the availability of the new firmware. I've emailed Leica several times and tweeted at them as well, hoping for at least an update for those of us who spent significantly more than the SL2-S (which has had the improvements for months now), and of course no response...

Edited by TheGerman
Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

24 minutes ago, TheGerman said:

Someone in the other thread mentioned it is now "end of summer" for the availability of the new firmware. I've emailed Leica several times and tweeted at them as well, hoping for at least an update for those of us who spent significantly more than the SL2-S (which has had the improvements for months now), and of course no response...

My imagination tells me the flagship SL2 firmware update might come with a few special feature surprises that might have taken additional time to configure, test and refine.

My technical brain tells me there are some technical hurdles in the SL2 compared to the SL2-S that might make for a more complex firmware update. When I first encountered the battery power alert message while shooting the SL2 in burst mode for a short period of time, I was made keenly aware there is an underlying weakness in the SL2 that might need to be addressed other than presenting an alert message which might also make for a more complex firmware update. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, LBJ2 said:

My imagination tells me the flagship SL2 firmware update might come with a few special feature surprises that might have taken additional time to configure, test and refine.

My technical brain tells me there are some technical hurdles in the SL2 compared to the SL2-S that might make for a more complex firmware update. When I first encountered the battery power alert message while shooting the SL2 in burst mode for a short period of time, I was made keenly aware there is an underlying weakness in the SL2 that might need to be addressed other than presenting an alert message which might also make for a more complex firmware update. 

Edit: This should have been obvious to me. I put the SL2 through several more high burst scenarios this morning. As soon as I put a fully charge battery into the camera, Viola no more low power alert messages. I am not sure what level of battery power the SL2 deems insufficient for burst photography, if somebody knows, please post. I think I was good at lest until about 60-50% but hard to tell with just the battery symbol. Also, is there anyway to display battery power percent? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LBJ2 said:

Edit: This should have been obvious to me. I put the SL2 through several more high burst scenarios this morning. As soon as I put a fully charge battery into the camera, Viola no more low power alert messages. I am not sure what level of battery power the SL2 deems insufficient for burst photography, if somebody knows, please post. I think I was good at lest until about 60-50% but hard to tell with just the battery symbol. Also, is there anyway to display battery power percent? 

Leica SL lenses used? On my 24/90 i am good until 1/4 and below.

I was beta-testing the future firmware... it's gonna come out, eventually.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Slender said:

Leica SL lenses used? On my 24/90 i am good until 1/4 and below.

I was beta-testing the future firmware... it's gonna come out, eventually.

Thank you. I've been testing burst with the SL 35 and 50 and if I forget that Low Battery Power Alert msg really trips me up, stops me cold and I have to scramble for the new battery and lose shots. But if I can know more or less, than I can plan accordingly. Thanks again and good to know new firmware is more than just a rumor !

Edited by LBJ2
Link to post
Share on other sites

@jrp idk to be fair there is no disclosed infos in my post... and what I may or may not have seen is probably different in the definitive version.Any one from the forum can let the admins know they would be keen to help, I believe you can fill this in your forum member profile section.


Leica stated the FW improvement will come to the SL2, no mystery here. Probably some further corrections backloged to the SL2s at the same time?

It's a small company, and its the most complicated cameras they ever put on the market... so they want it to be good and remain relatively easy for their customer target I believe... the downside is the wait. Be happy they are great cameras out of the box already. Even the most reluctant crowds with a Sony background will come to master their SL cameras 😄 and love it. FW improvements are nice but definitively not a buying argument like for panasonic cameras....

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2021 at 10:15 AM, caissa said:

The last update was a year ago. So I think it is time for a next step. I would not mind if it is just a partial update (not the final totally perfect all encompassing version). 😎

Or at the very least some kind of official update from Leica keeping us in the loop...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, owning leica can be very frustrating.  The camera industry is moving fast these days yet, leica seems no sense of urgency and continues to fall further behind.  Really makes me think of dumping it all and just using Sony.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Timkr said:

Yeah, owning leica can be very frustrating.  The camera industry is moving fast these days yet, leica seems no sense of urgency and continues to fall further behind.  Really makes me think of dumping it all and just using Sony.  

That is going too far. Sony never!

 I suppose I could go back to Nikon… But no. If I’m going to be treated badly by a camera company, it might as well be Leica.

Edited by Jeffry Abt
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...