New firmware for the SL2? I

All 9000

2 hours ago, LBJ2 said:

Today is July 30th! Last working day of the month 😃😎

Someone in the other thread mentioned it is now "end of summer" for the availability of the new firmware. I've emailed Leica several times and tweeted at them as well, hoping for at least an update for those of us who spent significantly more than the SL2-S (which has had the improvements for months now), and of course no response...

Edited by TheGerman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

24 minutes ago, TheGerman said:

Someone in the other thread mentioned it is now "end of summer" for the availability of the new firmware. I've emailed Leica several times and tweeted at them as well, hoping for at least an update for those of us who spent significantly more than the SL2-S (which has had the improvements for months now), and of course no response...

My imagination tells me the flagship SL2 firmware update might come with a few special feature surprises that might have taken additional time to configure, test and refine.

My technical brain tells me there are some technical hurdles in the SL2 compared to the SL2-S that might make for a more complex firmware update. When I first encountered the battery power alert message while shooting the SL2 in burst mode for a short period of time, I was made keenly aware there is an underlying weakness in the SL2 that might need to be addressed other than presenting an alert message which might also make for a more complex firmware update. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, LBJ2 said:

My imagination tells me the flagship SL2 firmware update might come with a few special feature surprises that might have taken additional time to configure, test and refine.

My technical brain tells me there are some technical hurdles in the SL2 compared to the SL2-S that might make for a more complex firmware update. When I first encountered the battery power alert message while shooting the SL2 in burst mode for a short period of time, I was made keenly aware there is an underlying weakness in the SL2 that might need to be addressed other than presenting an alert message which might also make for a more complex firmware update. 

Edit: This should have been obvious to me. I put the SL2 through several more high burst scenarios this morning. As soon as I put a fully charge battery into the camera, Viola no more low power alert messages. I am not sure what level of battery power the SL2 deems insufficient for burst photography, if somebody knows, please post. I think I was good at lest until about 60-50% but hard to tell with just the battery symbol. Also, is there anyway to display battery power percent? 

5 hours ago, LBJ2 said:

Edit: This should have been obvious to me. I put the SL2 through several more high burst scenarios this morning. As soon as I put a fully charge battery into the camera, Viola no more low power alert messages. I am not sure what level of battery power the SL2 deems insufficient for burst photography, if somebody knows, please post. I think I was good at lest until about 60-50% but hard to tell with just the battery symbol. Also, is there anyway to display battery power percent? 

Leica SL lenses used? On my 24/90 i am good until 1/4 and below.

I was beta-testing the future firmware... it's gonna come out, eventually.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Slender said:

Leica SL lenses used? On my 24/90 i am good until 1/4 and below.

I was beta-testing the future firmware... it's gonna come out, eventually.

Thank you. I've been testing burst with the SL 35 and 50 and if I forget that Low Battery Power Alert msg really trips me up, stops me cold and I have to scramble for the new battery and lose shots. But if I can know more or less, than I can plan accordingly. Thanks again and good to know new firmware is more than just a rumor !

Edited by LBJ2
  • Like 1

@jrp idk to be fair there is no disclosed infos in my post... and what I may or may not have seen is probably different in the definitive version.Any one from the forum can let the admins know they would be keen to help, I believe you can fill this in your forum member profile section.

Leica stated the FW improvement will come to the SL2, no mystery here. Probably some further corrections backloged to the SL2s at the same time?

It's a small company, and its the most complicated cameras they ever put on the market... so they want it to be good and remain relatively easy for their customer target I believe... the downside is the wait. Be happy they are great cameras out of the box already. Even the most reluctant crowds with a Sony background will come to master their SL cameras 😄 and love it. FW improvements are nice but definitively not a buying argument like for panasonic cameras....

On 8/1/2021 at 10:15 AM, caissa said:

The last update was a year ago. So I think it is time for a next step. I would not mind if it is just a partial update (not the final totally perfect all encompassing version). 😎

Or at the very least some kind of official update from Leica keeping us in the loop...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, owning leica can be very frustrating.  The camera industry is moving fast these days yet, leica seems no sense of urgency and continues to fall further behind.  Really makes me think of dumping it all and just using Sony.  

9 minutes ago, Timkr said:

Yeah, owning leica can be very frustrating.  The camera industry is moving fast these days yet, leica seems no sense of urgency and continues to fall further behind.  Really makes me think of dumping it all and just using Sony.  

That is going too far. Sony never!

I suppose I could go back to Nikon… But no. If I’m going to be treated badly by a camera company, it might as well be Leica.

Edited by Jeffry Abt