R-to-M + M-to-L adapters for R lenses?

thetankengine

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Seeing the Leica R-to-L is ridiculously expensive, I'm wondering if anyone has tried to use the R-to-M and M-to-L adapters together in order to mount a R lens on the SL/SL2?  If you have tried it, could you please let me now if the R lens info will be recognised by the camera?  I was thinking bout getting a Novolex one for R-to-L, but it doesn't pass any lens info to the camera body, so the inconvenience of the need to manually select the lens every time when taking my shots put me off.  I've already got a M-to-L adapter, and seeing the R-to-M adapter is not overly expensive, I'm wondering if the combination of the two adapters would work?

I regularly stack the two “dumb” Leica adapters. They work fine but as stated by others - no data passing. On very long R lenses (e.g. 400 and 560 Telyts), there can be some vignetting from the stack versus a single adapter likely due to narrowness of the M mount transition.

Edited by ardbeg

I use the stack since several years. No problems. I simply do not have the money to buy the single adapter. It works with the R 350. The 400 and 560 are not really good lenses anyway. Ok, but not more. Not necessary/worth to worry about them.

I also have a cheap dumb L-R adapter, but I find the stack better.

Edited by caissa