28mm, F2 or F2.8?

overexposed

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, Capuccino-Muffin said:

Now that is some politically empty talk.

Unnecessary inflammatory comment.

In over 9000 posts here I have never made a personal attack on another member. I have at no time made any inappropriate comment directed towards you,  I just don't agree with you Mr Cappuccino-Muffin.  Neither do most of the others who have posted here who also have experience with these lenses.

What is your problem?

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 2

My take on this is if i need f1.4 get that,if i do not get f2 and if i need neither get f2,8 ,,,,all of equal quality optically but offering different speeds for a given photographers need.

4 hours ago, steve 1959 said:

My take on this is if i need f1.4 get that,if i do not get f2 and if i need neither get f2,8 ,,,,all of equal quality optically but offering different speeds for a given photographers need.

That is quite reasonable as they are all lenses of outstanding  quality (construction and IQ), but many of us are also writing that they do image somewhat differently (not better or worse).  Whether the latter is relevant to your photography is entirely up to you.

Edited by MarkP

On 7/28/2021 at 12:37 PM, overexposed said:

the pro for the F2...well F2 when using it wide open for separating subjects from the surroundings

Having owned the first version and now the second version of Summicron 28 asph AND the Summicron 35 iv, I can tell that I cannot remember having used the 28/2.0 so much for selective focus and if I have done it I cannot remember that I was impressed with it. The 35 however is excellent for this job, makes a lot of difference. The only thing is, because I want to go smaller and profit from the 39mm filters too, that I hesitate because the Elmarit draws a bit softer, has less microcontrast, than the Summicron. I associate it with the Zeiss philosophy of lens drawing. 

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, otto.f said:

The only thing is, because I want to go smaller and profit from the 39mm filters too, that I hesitate because the Elmarit draws a bit softer, has less microcontrast, than the Summicron.

I would not say so. As far as v1 is concerned (no experience with v2), the Elmarit 28/2.8 asph feels a bit more contrasty than the 28/2 but it has not less acutance in my view so it may feel a bit harsher, not softer than the Summicron. Differences are not huge anyway.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MarkP said:

That is quite reasonable as they are all lenses of outstanding  quality (construction and IQ), but many of us are also writing that they do image somewhat differently (not better or worse).  Whether the latter is relevant to your photography is entirely up to you.

Of course but how each lens renders is subjective.

That said you could read reviews and take note of forum posters and end up going for say the summicrom even if you only need the speed of the elmarit,i get that totally.