Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 minutes ago, MarkP said:

I agree. I have a 2.8/28 Elmarit-M and 2.0/28 Summicron ASPH (initially v1 and now v2) so also speak with experience.  Apart from the obvious size and weight comparisons, construction quality of both lenses is obviously outstanding.  Both lenses demonstrate outstanding image quality. The Elmarit is sharp as a tack and quite contrasty compared with the Summicron. The rendering of the Summicron is harder to describe, more gentle and muted with excellent micro-contrast - one of my favourite lenses.

Thanks for the informed opinion. Short but more convincing than the "more expensive = better" approach.

These threads would be so much more useful if owners of the lenses discussed could post examples of side-by-side identical photos showing the characteristics of each lens. We don't need a ton of them but as they say, one picture paints a thousand words.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I disagree with this unsubstantiated claim. Character might vary; performance does not at similar apertures.

So if I file down the aperture blades of an Elmarit I get a Summicron? And a bit more I get a Summilux? RESULT!! Mr Karbe actually has a very easy job. (and does manicures in his spare time)

A couple of years back Leica did, and it stayed an Elmarit. 

Posted Images

Posted (edited)

Ian, do you really think that couples of same examples (side by side photos taken from lenses) can do ?

Years ago, that idea was mine ...but in real life, no couples 'side-by-side' same pics could make  decision easier.

That is just me, of course, maybe hard to convince with couples of pics to buy this or that lens.

Sorry I can NOT provide those to prove (what for ? ) my feelings/observings/subjective criterias.

My only (for some time now) advice is : take opinions then try the 'thing' oneself to make decision which can vary in time.

Even trying hard I wouldn't be able to provide those anyway, as I take only one lens at one time, since long now.

Edited by a.noctilux
17 hours ago, pippy said:

Before I bought my Elmarit asph I had (and still have) the same as you; Voigtlander Ultron 28mm f2 v1. When I was contemplating buying a Leica 28 I looked-back through the data to see how regularly / often I shot wide-open. The answer was 'Never; Not Even Once'.

Made my decision-making rather a formality.

Philip.

👍

This is one of the best ways to find out which lens you need. Search through the data to find out which apertures you mostly use. If you rarely shoot wide open (like I hardly ever do) consider the Elmarit. It's the sharpest of the lenses I have (others are 50mm Summilux ASPH; 35mm Summicron v4; 90mm Summicron pre-ASPH) and it's the most-used. Unless you need f2.0 for a specific purpose - and, if so, why not the f1.4? - then I would strongly recommend the Elmarit. For me, it has been a revelation. 

Peter

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

That is just me, of course, maybe hard to convince with couples of pics to buy this or that lens.

Well the point of these threads, in my view anyway, is not to convince people to buy anything, just inform and offer advice based on experience. Express opinions or preferences is all good and well but if they can be supported by images it makes them more useful.

Of course, as you so correctly wrote, the best way to choose a lens is to test oneself, there is no substitute for that.

Edited by ianman
42 minutes ago, ianman said:

These threads would be so much more useful if owners of the lenses discussed could post examples of side-by-side identical photos showing the characteristics of each lens. We don't need a ton of them but as they say, one picture paints a thousand words.

I agree but have never felt the need to do so for myself because I know when I want to use each of them.  When I want a small compact lens, or part of a compact set, then it's the Elmarit. When I want a more contrasty 'modern' look, especially to go with a more 'modern' contrasty lens, then it's the Elmarit.  When I just want to use one of my favourite lenses because I love how it images, or because it images sympathetically with a number of my other other lenses (ie 50 Summilux, etc), or I really need that extra stop then it's the Summicron. I usually reach for the Summicron just because I love the images I get from it.

I might get around to some comparisons this weekend if I get the time.  I can also throw pics from a 2.8/28 Elmarit-M 11804 and at 28mm from a 28-35-50 MATE E49.

ps:  To those calling the Elmarit a 'cheap' lens in a derogatory sense, its costs less than faster lenses because it is easier and cheaper to make an f2.8 than f1.4 or 2.0 lens, not because of compromised build or imaging quality.

2 hours ago, ianman said:

Did it several years ago here, i didn't keep the links, but differences were very subtle IIRC. Now doing valid comparos is not that easy actually. Keeping same light, framing and focusing is difficult to achieve with any camera, let alone rangefinders. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Reading through the comments, I don't doubt that the 28/2.0 Summicron has a bit the edge over the Elmarit versions - especially if the additional stop of light is beneficial for the photographer. What is more stunning to me is the significant difference in price. It excluded for me the f/2.0 option upfront. The Elmarit version IV (pre-ASPH) does all performance I need so far - I have no complaints. I also keep my CV 28/2.0 version I lens which delivers well with bit of different rendering, too. 

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Martin B said:

Reading through the comments, I don't doubt that the 28/2.0 Summicron has a bit the edge over the Elmarit versions - especially if the additional stop of light is beneficial for the photographer. What is more stunning to me is the significant difference in price. It excluded for me the f/2.0 option upfront. The Elmarit version IV (pre-ASPH) does all performance I need so far - I have no complaints. I also keep my CV 28/2.0 version I lens which delivers well with bit of different rendering, too. 

Again, although the rendering of the Summicron is generally more to my liking, it is not a better lens but a different lens.

I’m surprised you’re stunned by the price difference.  Approx $2500 USD per stop from Elmarit to Summicron to Summilux.

It has always been so…

Edited by MarkP
1 hour ago, MarkP said:

Again, although the rendering of the Summicron is generally more to my liking, it is not a better lens but a different lens.

Spot on. It’s a shame and a bit strange that so many people don’t understand this. They equate lens speed (and thus price) to mean better. We see this over and over again.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, MarkP said:

I’m surprised you’re stunned by the price difference.  Approx $2500 USD per stop from Elmarit to Summicron to Summilux.

It has always been so…

It’s not better but different? Now that is some politically empty talk.

What would happen if you took the elmarit and made It better? I will tell you: it would happen that it would become a summicron.

A full stop faster, keep it as tiny as possible, make it sharper, less light falloff, fine image character... all of a sudden you’re holding a summicron.

As simple as that.

Edited by Capuccino-Muffin
54 minutes ago, pedaes said:

A couple of years back Leica did, and it stayed an Elmarit. 

Yes. But they created the elmarit asph’s design,  not from the old design but from the summicron’s design.

In reality, what happened is they took the summicron and worked an elmarit asph out of it. Just look at the construction and optical design, it’s obvious.