28mm, F2 or F2.8?

overexposed

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there,

i am currently considering the 28mm FL, i was able to quick test a F2 at a dealer and was not convinced.....at least not 100% Tried all stops at infinity

I couldn't try the 2.8 yet.

Whats your opinion? and yes, i would be most after sharpness between F4 and F8.

the pro for the 2.8 is i could continue to use my orange filter that i use for my 35 cron.

the pro for the F2...well F2 when using it wide open for separating subjects from the surroundings

Looking forward to your opinions

Mirko

41 minutes ago, overexposed said:

i am currently considering the 28mm FL, i was able to quick test a F2 at a dealer and was not convinced.....at least not 100% Tried all stops at infinity

With this and all the other information you gave I would suggest following David’s suggestion.

• Like 1

Mirko, go for the Elmarit-M 28mm asph.

nothing lesser than Summicron from f/2.8 onward.

Benefit of everything, minimal finder hiding, size weight, filter size, lower price, etc.

size comparing

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

The 28/2.8 asph v1 (no experience with v2) may feel a bit more contrasty but as far as my lenses are concerned, it is in no way an economic version. I prefer the 28/2 for its indoor capabilities and the 28/2.8 asph for its smaller size on compact cameras. Both great lenses anyway, the best compact 28/2 and 28/2.8 ever made IMHO.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, wda said:

I disagree with this unsubstantiated claim. Character might vary; performance does not at similar apertures.

The notoriously harsh DigLloyd has done head-to-head comparisons and the only finding of note outside of the more-obvious size, weight, and cost is that the Summicron has higher distortion, which probably won't matter for all but the pickiest architecture photographers. The Summicron is analyzed to have minor rearward focus shift, and the Elmarit is analyzed to have minor rearward field curvature. Both are considered excellent for their era, and roughly equivalent aperture-for-aperture.

• Like 1

I started with the Elmarit ASPH v2, but traded in earlier this year to the current Summicron. I very nearly kept both, but the Summicron has continued to shine on my Ms (M10M, M10, film MP). 

At f2, it really does complement the rendering of my 50 Lux ASPH, which has been described many times in LUF (something to which I had remained skeptical before buying the Cron). It is such a nice gentle rendering wide-open compared to what I could achieve with the Elmarit at f2.8.

I also found the Cron’s lower contrast to be more to my liking with digital post-processing and with my go-to film stocks (the clichè triad of Tri-X, HP5, and Portra 400).

Stopped down, no discernible difference for me. Both razor sharp. VF blockage of the Cron has not bothered me.

Pre-owned Elmarit is one of the best modern Leica lens deals currently. 

Bottom line: Can’t go wrong with either, and from a functional/practical standpoint, I’d take either as a staple of my kit over the beautiful but cumbersome Summilux.

• Like 4

Not sure if you even want to consider but the new version II Voigtlander Ultron 28 f/2 could also suit your needs.. speed, size, weight, 39mm filter thread.  I've only had mine around a week now but it seems plenty sharp enough. Maybe if your dealer has one in stock it would be worth you checking out also.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, overexposed said:

........the good about the summicron, i might be able to trade-in my fuji gf30mm lens which i hardly use.

With repect, that is not the best of reasons to justify your choice.

Best price/quality ratio is with 28/2.8 Elmarit-M lenses when going with the Leica brand. One more stop of light with f/2.0 can be useful with film or indoors without flash/studio lighting. I second to look in such case for the CV 28/2.0. I have version one and like it a lot but rarely use it wide open. Version II is the newer version which was just released. I use in parallel the Leica 28/2.8 Elmarit version IV (pre-ASPH) which is very sharp and has excellent contrast wide open. I bought the latter recently used including hood and caps. 

Edited by Martin B

46 minutes ago, Martin B said:

Best price/quality ratio is with 28/2.8 Elmarit-M lenses when going with the Leica brand. One more stop of light with f/2.0 can be useful with film or indoors without flash/studio lighting. I second to look in such case for the CV 28/2.0. I have version one and like it a lot but rarely use it wide open...

Before I bought my Elmarit asph I had (and still have) the same as you; Voigtlander Ultron 28mm f2 v1. When I was contemplating buying a Leica 28 I looked-back through the data to see how regularly / often I shot wide-open. The answer was 'Never; Not Even Once'.

Made my decision-making rather a formality.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 4