SL2 (typ601) two EVF issues, too dim and flickering.

David8732

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I hope you can help guys. 
I have just purchased my first ever Leica, an SL (typ601), I bought it used, as new, from a respected seller. 
I already own the Panasonic S1. 
However I have two issues. 

Firstly I notice that the EVF is incredibly dim in all light, quite shockingly so, especially compared to my S1. Is this standard for the SL or do you think it may be faulty? I’d say it’s about 50% darker than my S1 and will make focusing manually pretty tough.

Secondly When I achieve AF and the green square lights up at exactly the same time there is a quite pronounced flicker visible in the EVF.
i have the Panasonic 24-105 and the Sigma 35 f2. I’ve researched both of the above issues before posting but can’t find any definitive answers.

Any advice or opinions would be really appreciated, as if these can’t be solved then I will have to send the camera back as I can’t live with either issue. 

Thank you

Edited by David8732

Have you tried performing a factory reset and/or updating to the latest FW version?

Dim EVF could be because of the EVF display setting. I’m not familiar with the SL but the SL2-S has options for various brightness settings and also offer an ‘Auto’ option.

EVF flicker while AF. It would be good to know what AF mode you were using (i.e. AFs, AFc, iAF, etc…).

Thank you for your reply, it’s appreciated as this is driving me nuts!

As far as I know with the SL601 you don’t get an option to change the EVF brightness levels, that changed in the SL2, I think. 
However it’s the flickering which is the biggest problem for me. I have already reset the camera and made sure I’m not in electronic shutter. It was with a Panasonic 24-105 and it was in AFC mode, there’s another issue the AF modes are continuously greyed out no matter what I do. 
Thanks again. 

17 hours ago, David8732 said:

I have just purchased my first ever Leica, an SL (typ601), I bought it used, as new, from a respected seller. 

I would take it back to the dealer and get him to sort it or swap it for a suitable alternative.