TL 18-56mm or X Vario

I would get the glass. The X-Vario was a 16MP camera which was wonderful in image quality but pretty old at this point. The 18-56 is a wonderful walkabout lens that is tack sharp and fast enough for a daily driver. I use mine all the time. Its been a goto on my CL.

• Like 1

Hi,

I have a Sigma 30mm f1.4 and the 56mm f1.4 on the way. 

For the CL and 18-56mm combo, indoor average to low light, what ISO do you usually need for the minimum f3.5?

Thanks for the feedback. Helps a lot.

BTW, I got decent price for the Sigma’s, open box so it was hard to pass up, although maybe I should have applied those funds towards the 18-56.

Edited by Taki8888

12 minutes ago, Taki8888 said:

Hi,

I have a Sigma 30mm f1.4 and the 56mm f1.4 on the way. 

For the CL and 18-56mm combo, indoor average to low light, what ISO do you usually need for the minimum f3.5?

Thanks for the feedback. Helps a lot.

BTW, I got decent price for the Sigma’s, open box so it was hard to pass up, although maybe I should have applied those funds towards the 18-56.

Look at my article here https://david2008.photium.com/my-way-with-the-leica  and you will see several examples of my employing high ISOs. I also rate the standard zoom highly.

With two fast primes already in your possession, your needs possibly lie elsewhere, depending on your regular photographic projects. Perhaps you can explain what are your interests.. In fact, already I think you might be better served by adding the X Vario, used in conjunction with your fast primes. It is also better at macro, working at the 70mm setting, not 18mm on the CL.

I have CL and the trinity zooms, but now I prefer XV to CL + 18-56mm for the color rendering. I use 11-23mm a lot when I carry CL, almost same as 18-56mm, It makes absolute sense to me to carry CL + 11-23mm and XV to avoid switching lenses. XV (~US$850) is about half the price of 18-56mm (~US$1600) alone.

• Like 1

CL + 18-56mm is better because you get a very useful 85mm equivalent with f/5.6 aperture. Instead of the shorter 70mm f/6.3

For macro, you can use the excellent ELPRO 52 or just adapt the cheap but absolutely excellent Elmarit-R 60mm f/2.8

For indoors ? just change the lens for Summicron-TL 23mm f/2 or Summilux-TL 35mm f/1.4

CL AF is so much faster. EVF is a must have and CL one is fantastic. 

CL 24MP open the world of cropping. In camera 1.3x and 1.7x crop is very handy. You get actually an equivalent of 28-85mm + 105mm + 150mm with Vario-Elmar-TL. Its IQ is excellent, it is my favourite TL lens, and I has owned them all at one time.

Am 26.7.2021 um 19:33 schrieb Taki8888:

Hi,

Just curious what your thoughts are. Getting the TL 18-56mm for the CL or X Vario camera with about the same lens. Asking since price wise they can be close. 

A lens or an older camera with lens.

CL + 18-56mm is the best kit you can have for day shooting. The IQ of the Vario 18-56mm is very good. it's my favorite lens with the CL.

The size of the CL (with thumbup or grip) is perfect and you can can use any kind of lens with the CL  L,  M lenses.