Black pro mist filter

stephengv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 8/9/2021 at 4:50 PM, toothlessdentist said:

I can attest to a positive experience of 5 years of shooting with the Tiffen Black Pro Mist 1/8 living on all my M & R lenses (1956-1995 range) , both on my Leica M240 and Leica M3. For portraits, landscape, street, everything… I won’t go into what the filter is designed to do because I’m assuming if you’re reading this you’ve understood the intention…

My background is in the cinema, and we are constantly filtering beautifully sharp and outrageously-priced glass to create the look “in camera” via a mattebox, not in post. I’ve found these Tiffen Black Pro mist filters to be the best solution to achieve the same while shooting both photo and video with lenses of these small sizes.

I advise against stacking multiple filters (NDS, colour) with BPM in general if you’d like to avoid vignettes.

IM USING:

1/8 Black Pro Mist *  37, 40.5, 55, 77mm

1/4 Black Pro Mist  37, 40.5, 55, 77mm

1/8 Warm Black Pro Mist   40.5mm

SIZE:

The 37mm are the smallest of the available filters and I’ve had success using them with 39-37mm STEP-DOWN ring with no/minimal vignetting on my vintage 50mm Summicron/35mm Summicron respectively.

40.5mm are the smallest filters available to cover 39mm thread Leica glass using a 39-40.5 STEP-UP ring. This is my suggested setup as older filters for 40.5 size are more available online, it maintains small profile, and doesn’t vignette. 

77mm 1/8th BPM functions for my Cine-Modded LEITZ R set, with 55-77mm (80O.D. for mattebox attachment).

STRENGTH: 

*1/8 BPM is my go-to, living on as many lens as I can afford them to be on… “subtle” is the key word here, which confuses & draws some critique from some online but I personally love this look for everything I shoot.

1/4 BPM is the highest intensity I would personally use without going down a deeply “artistic soft” direction. 1/4 BPM has a noticeable filter look. For me it moves from a subtle image adjustment to a noticeable filtered effect, both in photo and video. I like this filter but use it for studio portraits with older people, or for an even softer “cinematic film look” look when shooting video wide open on sharp Sony sensors.

I am working with lenses opening up no more than f/2 and cannot comment on mixing it with some of the “softer” wide lenses that open wider.

That’s my take, and feel free to AMA, but otherwise you do you!

@ mitchellsturm  via instagram for images

Really helpful, many thanks. As someone with experience just in stills photography, I feel I can learn a lot from people like you with a background in cinema! I get the impression that cinematographers are rather up to speed in knowing how to use some of these filters, including detuning the "digital" look into something more subtle and beautiful.

I'm recently using a 1/4 Black Pro Mist on a medium format GFX100S. Early days, but so far am liking the filter across many scenes, from portraits to landscapes.

Personally I find this Black Pro Mist more controlled and less over the top than I'd expected, gently lifting the strength of the blacks and shadows, but with a halation of the highlights that is a bit reminiscent of, well, a Leica "glow" of an older lens.  I also find this effect is reminiscent of some of my images off 5x4 + Schneider Super Symmar 110 XL.  See an example below of a forest scene, where there seems to be gentle halation of the light coming through the trees in the background.  It's a subtle glow on this film shot, but to me it makes a large difference to the beauty of the image that might have ended up more harshly rendered with an unfiltered digital capture.  I expect (TBD) that the Black Pro Mist will help my digital get closer to the subtly dreamier look like that I so enjoy off film.  Also looking to get a Tiffen Glimmerglass 1, and will see if / how that is any different to the Pro Mist.  A lot still to try out and learn, but I feel like I'm heading in a good direction now to attaining more gentle and cinematic images off my digital camera via such filters.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 1/16/2023 at 6:28 AM, rtai said:

I want to see if the K&F 1/4 black diffuser filter can cut the hard edge digital look of my Q2 Monochrom in daylight use.

This is the type of reason that I’m investigating filters (I have a black pro mist and also a glimmerglass), and/or different (more “classic”?) lenses too. I have an M10M, and very modern lenses, hence looking for a look that is gentler. I think a lot of it is down to contrast, I was recently comparing the same scenes between my 5x4 film camera using Ektachrome and my GFX, and noted how much lower the contrast was from the film. When I reduced the mid-tone contrast on the GFX, they started to look a lot more similar in terms of rendering.

Edited by Jon Warwick
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Jon Warwick said:

This is the type of reason that I’m investigating filters (I have a black pro mist and also a glimmerglass), and/or different (more “classic”?) lenses too. I have an M10M, and very modern lenses, hence looking for a look that is gentler. I think a lot of it is down to contrast, I was recently comparing the same scenes between my 5x4 film camera using Ektachrome and my GFX, and noted how much lower the contrast was from the film. When I reduced the mid-tone contrast on the GFX, they started to look a lot more similar in terms of rendering.

How do you like the Glimmerglass compared to the Black ProMist? I have Black ProMist filters and like them but have been thinking of trying Glimmerglass. What is the approximate conversion between them-- i.e., if you have a 1/4 strength BPM, what Glimmerglass equivalent did you get? Any samples you can share? 

27 minutes ago, eyeheartny said:

How do you like the Glimmerglass compared to the Black ProMist? I have Black ProMist filters and like them but have been thinking of trying Glimmerglass. What is the approximate conversion between them-- i.e., if you have a 1/4 strength BPM, what Glimmerglass equivalent did you get? Any samples you can share? 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm also interested in using other filters such as glimmer glass. Tiffens website has sample video of differing filters with various strengths. As much as I like black pro mist I find it's halation has a global haze that reduces contrast whereas I think the glimmer glass has a tighter halation over highlight areas only, which means contrast is not reduced as much

Unfortunately Tiffens has yet to make glimmer glass with 39mm filter size unless custom made. Hopefully in the future.

Thanks @Jon Warwick  For mentioning the 39-37 step down ring doesn't vignette as I hoped it wouldn't as I recently bought one and eager to try

I find the black pro mist just dials down off slightly the edge modern glass that's otherwise too much for my likeing

13 hours ago, Jon Warwick said:

I also have an M10M and can select the right lenses for that gentler look. Sharp and contrasty need not apply. The K&F was just a budget choice. I probably won’t stick with it because I think a yellow or orange filter is essential and I don’t want to stack one on top of the black mist. 

Nisi 1/4 black mist filter w/ 49mm-48mm adapter on a canon 50mm 1.4 LTM. 

personally I think 1/4 is on the strong side. 1/8 is perfect to leave on the lens for everyday shoot.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by 69xchange
  • Like 8

1/8 Black Promist filter (plus ND filter) on a 50 Noctilux 1.2 reissue and a M10M

• Like 2

9 hours ago, intangiblethings said:

I usually keep a 1/4 strength filter on most of my modern lenses (Zeiss Planar, Voigtlander 35/50mm f/1.2) and it’s usually not discernible unless I shoot into strong light sources.

Are you using a Tiffen filter or a copy ?

7 hours ago, JMF said:

Are they matching in their effectiveness from brand to brand?

Each brand applies their coating differently and in different strengths so the effect is different. Tiffen is very good but expensive. There are others, some made in China that are reasonable but cheaper. There's one made by Moment called CineBloom which is apparently very good, though it's not available where I am.

Also since my lenses are mainly 39mm and 46mm, the choice is limited.

Edited by rramesh
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, rramesh said:

There's one made by Moment called CineBloom which is apparently very good, though it's not available where I am.

Also since my lenses are mainly 39mm and 46mm, the choice is limited.

I'm using the CineBloom 10% on my SL50 & 90 APO. I also got the 20% (roughly equivalent to a Tiffen 1/2), but it's too strong and I used it only a couple of times. The 10% is permanently glued to my lenses. 

Sadly Moment doesn't make their CineBloom filters in a 46mm size. When I inquired they told me that at the moment there was no plan to add them.

On 1/25/2023 at 3:19 PM, 69xchange said:

Nisi 1/4 black mist filter w/ 49mm-48mm adapter on a canon 50mm 1.4 LTM. 

personally I think 1/4 is on the strong side. 1/8 is perfect to leave on the lens for everyday shoot.

I think it mostly depends on the type of lens. On lenses with a more modern rendering, 1/4 is fine. Then of course it's also a matter of taste.

1 hour ago, intangiblethings said:

As far as I know, Tiffen is the only brand to do 39mm. 

Mist filters are popular with videographers who tend to use lenses with larger filter threads. Hence, why brands make these in sizes 50+. It does not make sense to buy 39mm speciality filters as it would be unusable on larger filter mounts.

Most of my Leica lenses are either in 39mm or 46mm, so I buy 46mm and use a 39-46 step up when needed.

Edited by rramesh