Black pro mist filter

stephengv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1. I use the soft filters on my M when needed
2. No, the same effect CAN NOT be achieved in post
3. You should look into the latest ones, Glimmerglass, black glimmerglass and bronze glimmerglass. Start somewhere between 1/2 and 1 grade.
4. My fav effect ATM is the ProMist 1/2 for that 70's look

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Jon Warwick said:

Very helpful, many thanks. If you use the 1/8 pro mist filter to take a portrait in non-bright light (so the halation effect on highlights is less apparent).....what's the effect? Does it help to make skin look less "digitally captured" in terms of seeing every minor detail like pores / fine wrinkles / small hairs, or not really?

You would see a very slight reduction in overall contrast. The Pro Mists as I said don't really affect sharpness as such and so I wouldn't use them for straight portraiture expecting them to hide pores etc. You would want a more classic soft-focus filter for that. I have used them for outdoor portraiture in strong backlight though where they really accentuated the glow on backlit hair etc and caused a low-level veiling flare across the whole image. I keep one on my lens all of the time though as they cut back a bit of the perfection of the latest glass, particularly in strong lighting. Think of them as whisky for your lens, it won't be quite as reliably perfect as it was ... but everything might seem a bit more interesting

• Thanks 1

Messing around with my Tiffen Pro Mist 1/2....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

So, this sort of conversation is fairly pointless without comparative examples. Here are two almost identical photos, same settings, same minute, same lens, a 35/1.4 FLE as hated by @Steven(TM). The second with a 1/8 Black Pro mist. No exposure compensation needed. The photos were underexposed and pulled up a bit to maintain a little more detail in the windows. In day to day photography the effect is almost invisible except if you compare two examples directly. Cases like this though with strong and contrasty lighting are where you see the effect, very much like old and uncoated lenses. But sharpness is identical.

Edited by convexferret
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, convexferret said:

So, this sort of conversation is fairly pointless without comparative examples. Here are two almost identical photos, same settings, same minute, same lens, a 35/1.4 FLE as hated by @Steven(TM). The second with a 1/8 Black Pro mist. No exposure compensation needed. The photos were underexposed and pulled up a bit to maintain a little more detail in the windows. In day to day photography the effect is almost invisible except if you compare two examples directly. Cases like this though with strong and contrasty lighting are where you see the effect, very much like old and uncoated lenses. But sharpness is identical.

Thank you for the sample. The photo with the filter looks dreamy. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 7/25/2021 at 2:52 AM, stephengv said:

Is the 1/4 a bit to harsh?

I ordered both, tried them out and felt the 1/4 worked best after testing. I use it at night in NYC and love the way it plays with all the lights. I don't use it all the time, only if I'm trying to portray that mood. 

And no, I don't think the exact look is achievable in post. If that's the look I'm going for, I'd rather slap a $60 filter on the lens then mess around in photoshop. 

• Thanks 1

Can't help it, I ordered the 1/8 in 52mm. Here is a shot with the M240 and 35 Summicron ASPH: 

• Like 2

Another shot with the 50mm Zeiss Sonnar. I love the rendering of this combination.

• Like 2

I can attest to a positive experience of 5 years of shooting with the Tiffen Black Pro Mist 1/8 living on all my M & R lenses (1956-1995 range) , both on my Leica M240 and Leica M3. For portraits, landscape, street, everything… I won’t go into what the filter is designed to do because I’m assuming if you’re reading this you’ve understood the intention…

My background is in the cinema, and we are constantly filtering beautifully sharp and outrageously-priced glass to create the look “in camera” via a mattebox, not in post. I’ve found these Tiffen Black Pro mist filters to be the best solution to achieve the same while shooting both photo and video with lenses of these small sizes.

I advise against stacking multiple filters (NDS, colour) with BPM in general if you’d like to avoid vignettes.

IM USING:

1/8 Black Pro Mist *  37, 40.5, 55, 77mm

1/4 Black Pro Mist  37, 40.5, 55, 77mm

1/8 Warm Black Pro Mist   40.5mm

SIZE:

The 37mm are the smallest of the available filters and I’ve had success using them with 39-37mm STEP-DOWN ring with no/minimal vignetting on my vintage 50mm Summicron/35mm Summicron respectively.

40.5mm are the smallest filters available to cover 39mm thread Leica glass using a 39-40.5 STEP-UP ring. This is my suggested setup as older filters for 40.5 size are more available online, it maintains small profile, and doesn’t vignette. 

77mm 1/8th BPM functions for my Cine-Modded LEITZ R set, with 55-77mm (80O.D. for mattebox attachment).

STRENGTH: 

*1/8 BPM is my go-to, living on as many lens as I can afford them to be on… “subtle” is the key word here, which confuses & draws some critique from some online but I personally love this look for everything I shoot.

1/4 BPM is the highest intensity I would personally use without going down a deeply “artistic soft” direction. 1/4 BPM has a noticeable filter look. For me it moves from a subtle image adjustment to a noticeable filtered effect, both in photo and video. I like this filter but use it for studio portraits with older people, or for an even softer “cinematic film look” look when shooting video wide open on sharp Sony sensors.

I am working with lenses opening up no more than f/2 and cannot comment on mixing it with some of the “softer” wide lenses that open wider.

That’s my take, and feel free to AMA, but otherwise you do you!

@ mitchellsturm  via instagram for images

Edited by toothlessdentist
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 8/9/2021 at 11:50 PM, toothlessdentist said:

I can attest to a positive experience of 5 years of shooting with the Tiffen Black Pro Mist 1/8 living on all my M & R lenses (1956-1995 range) , both on my Leica M240 and Leica M3. For portraits, landscape, street, everything… I won’t go into what the filter is designed to do because I’m assuming if you’re reading this you’ve understood the intention…

My background is in the cinema, and we are constantly filtering beautifully sharp and outrageously-priced glass to create the look “in camera” via a mattebox, not in post. I’ve found these Tiffen Black Pro mist filters to be the best solution to achieve the same while shooting both photo and video with lenses of these small sizes.

I advise against stacking multiple filters (NDS, colour) with BPM in general if you’d like to avoid vignettes.

IM USING:

1/8 Black Pro Mist *  37, 40.5, 55, 77mm

1/4 Black Pro Mist  37, 40.5, 55, 77mm

1/8 Warm Black Pro Mist   40.5mm

SIZE:

The 37mm are the smallest of the available filters and I’ve had success using them with 39-37mm STEP-DOWN ring with no/minimal vignetting on my vintage 50mm Summicron/35mm Summicron respectively.

40.5mm are the smallest filters available to cover 39mm thread Leica glass using a 39-40.5 STEP-UP ring. This is my suggested setup as older filters for 40.5 size are more available online, it maintains small profile, and doesn’t vignette. 

77mm 1/8th BPM functions for my Cine-Modded LEITZ R set, with 55-77mm (80O.D. for mattebox attachment).

STRENGTH: 

*1/8 BPM is my go-to, living on as many lens as I can afford them to be on… “subtle” is the key word here, which confuses & draws some critique from some online but I personally love this look for everything I shoot.

1/4 BPM is the highest intensity I would personally use without going down a deeply “artistic soft” direction. 1/4 BPM has a noticeable filter look. For me it moves from a subtle image adjustment to a noticeable filtered effect, both in photo and video. I like this filter but use it for studio portraits with older people, or for an even softer “cinematic film look” look when shooting video wide open on sharp Sony sensors.

I am working with lenses opening up no more than f/2 and cannot comment on mixing it with some of the “softer” wide lenses that open wider.

That’s my take, and feel free to AMA, but otherwise you do you!

@ mitchellsturm  via instagram for images

Thank you for the reply. Very much appreciated. 

Here's a shot I took a couple of weeks ago while playing around with these filters. The sky was hazy to begin with - happens very often here when there's 35+°C and humidity 

SL2-S with the 90 APO SL + Moment Cinebloom 10%,

Edited by Simone_DF
  • Like 3