Black pro mist filter

stephengv

34 minutes ago, jankap said:

Using the lenses, that cost the most on the market, and then this.....

Perhaps a business idea for TOPAZ.

Understandable. But sometimes the vintage look is nice. That’s why we have the thambar

• Like 2

13 hours ago, stephengv said:

Anyone using a Pro mist filter on their M lenses? Is it worth it? 

I primarily use soft focus filters for portraits.

I take most of my individual portraits with medium format cameras.

I use a 77mm Tiffen Black Pro Mist #1 soft focus filter on my medium format camera.

I do not have a Tiffen Black Pro Mist #1 soft focus filter for any of my M-mount lenses.

I do, however, have the following soft focus filters that I use on my M-mount lenses:

Tiffen Center Spot  52mm

Tiffen Soft FX #1 52mm

Nikon Soft Focus #2 52mm

Vivitar Halo-spot 52mm

Vemar Softon 48mm

In my opinion, these other soft focus filters work just as well.

Is the 1/4 a bit to harsh?

Not at all. It's a perfect place to start. The lower densities are for when you want the effect to be barely noticeable.

14 hours ago, rramesh said:

Can't the effect be created in PP?

Same question here. 

Nah it can't. Not without extensive masking and lots of manual work. But it's pretty pointless when you achieve better results effortlessly with a $20-$50 filter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

16 hours ago, Narsuitus said:

I primarily use soft focus filters for portraits.

I take most of my individual portraits with medium format cameras.

I use a 77mm Tiffen Black Pro Mist #1 soft focus filter on my medium format camera.

I do not have a Tiffen Black Pro Mist #1 soft focus filter for any of my M-mount lenses.

I do, however, have the following soft focus filters that I use on my M-mount lenses:

Tiffen Center Spot  52mm

Tiffen Soft FX #1 52mm

Nikon Soft Focus #2 52mm

Vivitar Halo-spot 52mm

Vemar Softon 48mm

In my opinion, these other soft focus filters work just as well.

I was taking a look at the Tiffen website and its diffusion filter options, which seem more expansive (and confusing to me personally, given the huge choice on offer!) than I'd expected.

I understand the Black Pro-Mist can encourage a halation spill effect, which perhaps produces something reminiscent of a traditionally cinematic & film look. 

For Portraits specifically, I guess what I'm looking for is a filter that takes the "edge" off the digital sensor, making the image more subtle for Portraits (ie, in order to reduce the small wrinkles, pores and fine hair that digital seems to capture, but film often really doesn't with that same intensity).  Do most of these Tiffen (or other brand) diffusion options achieve essentially that and help get to a gentler look that film gives for Portraits, or are there any ones that come to mind that are more suitable in that regard? 

Edited by Jon Warwick

2 hours ago, Jon Warwick said:

For Portraits specifically, I guess what I'm looking for is a filter that takes the "edge" off the digital sensor, making the image more subtle for Portraits (ie, in order to reduce the small wrinkles, pores and fine hair that digital seems to capture, but film often really doesn't with that same intensity).  Do most of these Tiffen (or other brand) diffusion options achieve essentially that and help get to a gentler look that film gives for Portraits, or are there any ones that come to mind that are more suitable in that regard? 

I think it is a matter of personal preference. I had to try a variety of soft focus filters until I found the ones that I liked.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Thanks. I've ordered a Tiffen "Digital Diffusion FX" to see what I think ....apparently it might help to soften skin blemishes, but without generically destroying the overall sharpness of the image, nor does it add halation.  I agree with you that it's a personal preference so I think I just need to dive in and see where I get to!

3 hours ago, Narsuitus said:

I think it is a matter of personal preference. I had to try a variety of soft focus filters until I found the ones that I liked.

Thank you Narsuitus, these are great examples - did you shoot the Nikon wide open? 

I think you could do better using the Nik Suite software. In Color Efex (also good for B&W)  you have a variable soft focus filter and the 'glamour glow' filter and also a dedicated 'fog' filter, and you can stack them all. It's a horrible name for a filter but I often use 'glamour glow' to replicate the beautiful highlight roll-off that we once had with the M9.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, markhout said:

... did you shoot the Nikon wide open?

All images were shot with a tripod mounted  Fuji X-Pro1 mirrorless camera body and an adapted Nikon 105mm f/2.5 manual focus lens at ISO 400, f/5.6, 1/15 sec, tungsten white balance, tungsten light source.

• Thanks 1

A personal opinion on the pro mist filters. They are not soft-focus as such. In fact they have very little effect if any on the sharpness of the image. They affect contrast more than anything. Bright highlights tend to spill and dark shadows tend to lift slightly. The effect is not unlike a well-controlled uncoated lens. I use 1/8 as I found 1/4 etc too obvious. I enjoy the effect most at night or when shooting into the light.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, convexferret said:

A personal opinion on the pro mist filters. They are not soft-focus as such. In fact they have very little effect if any on the sharpness of the image. They affect contrast more than anything. Bright highlights tend to spill and dark shadows tend to lift slightly. The effect is not unlike a well-controlled uncoated lens. I use 1/8 as I found 1/4 etc too obvious. I enjoy the effect most at night or when shooting into the light.

Very helpful, many thanks. If you use the 1/8 pro mist filter to take a portrait in non-bright light (so the halation effect on highlights is less apparent).....what's the effect? Does it help to make skin look less "digitally captured" in terms of seeing every minor detail like pores / fine wrinkles / small hairs, or not really?

Edited by Jon Warwick