Comparison of SL 601 w/ SL75 summicron versus Leica CL w/ SL 50 1.4?

ropo54

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone compared images from an SL  601with an attached SL 75 summicron versus the Leica CL with an attached SL 50 1.4 ? 

What differences might one expect to see?  (I would assume the weight of either kit would not be significantly different).

Appreciate your thoughts.

Rob

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tom0511 said:

I have owned those items (or own them) but the 40/1.4 SL is allready big and heavy for the SL bodies, so I can not imaginge using a small CL body with such a big lens. (I mean handling wise)

Tom0511: thanks for your reply.  

While the CL with the SL 50 1.4 is a bit unbalanced, I find it manageable when cradling the body of the lens.  I had been thinking about acquiring the SL 75 summicron, but now am reconsidering.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tom0511 said:

Do you own both bodies, Cl and SL? For me the 35/1.4TL works quite well on the CL also for people/kids/family images. Of course its shorter than 50mm.

Yes, I have both bodies along with the TL 35 1.4, and like it very much.  (The SL 50 1.4 would give me  the equivalent 75mm focal length when used with the CL, so just thought 'why' acquire the SL 75mm summicron?)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 2 Stunden schrieb ropo54:

Yes, I have both bodies along with the TL 35 1.4, and like it very much.  (The SL 50 1.4 would give me  the equivalent 75mm focal length when used with the CL, so just thought 'why' acquire the SL 75mm summicron?)

I would think: If you want to shoot at home occasionally the combi CL + 50/1.4 might work well. But if you do it more often, or at other locations/situations, where you want to use your SL and dont have the CL with you, than you might want the 75SL. I really like the 75SL, but in reality I bring my 50mm or a zoom more often. (For family, adventure, kids,...)

I find the 50/1.4 renders very nice and smooth bokeh on the SL2, so I would expect it to also render great with the CL as a (big)portrait lens.

I am maybe a bit strange but have not used SL lenses on the CL. But I have sometimes used the 23mm TL on the SL2 for compact evening combo during vacation where I only brought my SL2 body.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 10:30 AM, ropo54 said:

Has anyone compared images from an SL  601with an attached SL 75 summicron versus the Leica CL with an attached SL 50 1.4 ? 

What differences might one expect to see?  (I would assume the weight of either kit would not be significantly different).

Rob

Hi Rob,

I use the Panasonic 50/1.4 on the SL, SL2 and CL.  On the CL and SL2 (APS mode) you get a lovely 20-24MP image at 75mm f/2.1 equivalent.  As much as I would love to own the SL 75 summicron, I just don't use that focal length enough to justify.  I don't see any reason why the Leica 50/1.4 SL would not produce excellent results when used in this manner.

Yes both 50/1.4 lenses are big/heavy on the CL but for occasional use it is fine.  

I use the 90mm SL summicron as 135 f/3 on the CL which is also lovely look to it. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/24/2021 at 10:30 AM, ropo54 said:

Rob

Just last week, I saw a YouTube video where that question was raised. They compared the same image using crop sensors, full frame, and medium format, all shooting the same equivalent lenses. There was a significant perception difference. Most notably when comparing the crop sensor to the medium format sensor. The subject's shoulder width appeared quite different, very narrow in the crop sensor image. There were significant differences in the backgrounds as well.

Edited by Brian C in Az
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here is a great article explaining how sensor size affects DOF, the circle of confusion, and hyper focal distance.

https://pixelsandwanderlust.com/hyperfocal-distance-explained/

Sensor size is the final factor that determines the hyperfocal distance. Full frame sensors produce the smallest hyperfocal distance. The more you crop a sensor, the larger the hyperfocal distance becomes. 

A full-frame sensor gives you the widest field of view and places the frame closer to the camera. As a result, your hyperfocal distance will be smaller because you will be focusing on closer objects. 

On the other hand, crop sensors have a smaller field of view, which pushes the frame farther into the scene. As a result, your hyperfocal distance will be larger and farther away from the scene. 

draft.jpg

That link contains a calculator so you can compare the SL with a 75 to a CL with a 50 and decide what best suits your needs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1