TOP travel lens-set for M8

citrus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am looking to optimize my lenses I carry around when travelling - so far I only have the WADE for the M8 - which other lenses do you recommend.

I am thinking of :

1. Summilux M 1:1.4 / 35 Asph. or 2,0/28mm Asph. Summicron

2. Summilux-M 1,4/50mm Asph or Noctilux

3. APO-Summicron-M 2,0/90mm Asph.

Pls. let me know your opinion on the most favourite set-up respectively what you would go for as favourite lens-set.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You must consider weight factor, carrying a camera bag all day with you ...... If you are not going to be doing lots of interiors or late night shots than F2 is fast enough and less weight. I even have an Elmar - Macro 90mm F4 for travel..... in the daytime it is fast enough and it use far less space in the bag! It may even be wiser to carry less lens and have a back-up camera like a second M8 with a lens attached to it....... (save time of not having to change lens as often)

I am looking to optimize my lenses I carry around when travelling - so far I only have the WADE for the M8 - which other lenses do you recommend.

I am thinking of :

Pls. let me know your opinion on the most favourite set-up respectively what you would go for as favourite lens-set.

1. I would rather take the 28/2.0 than the 35/1.4; for me 28 is more usefull than 35, and many people have focus issues with the 35/1.4asph

2. Because of weight issues and focus shift I would rather go for the^50/1.4asph

3. I prefer the 90macro for travel or 90/2.8 if f4 is too slow.

IMO a very very felxible set is:

wate

mate

28/2.0 for low light

90macro

or, wate, 28/2.0, 50/1.4asph and 90 macro

I've traveled internationally with my M8 about 8-10 times now. None of those have been pleasure trips, so I have to balance my spare-time photography/sightseeing needs with the needs for work (a laptop).

I've used the following lens combinations on trips:

24/2.8, 35/1.4, 50/2

CV15/4.5, 35/1.4, 50/2

24/2.8, 50/2, 90(MEM)/4

Today I'm leaving for the Middle East and I'm bringing the CV15, 35/1.4, and my just-delivered (nice surprise!) 30% off 75/2. That set is the set I've been thinking about being ideal for travel--nice spread, not too heavy, good for low light (since I work during the day, it's nice to be able to take low-light photos). We'll see how it goes.

I carry it all in my bag setup, detailed in this blog post.

If I were traveling for pleasure, I'd probably bring the 24 and the 90, though maybe not. I like to travel light. We'll see how this setup fares on this trip.

Cheers.

I am thinking of :

Citrus, for travelling the WATE is a must (though too expensive now). I have the WATE, 28/2, 50/2 (all three are very easy to carry) and I hesitated between the APO 75/2 and the APO 90/2... At the end, I went for the 90/2. I love that lens (when you don't have back focus problems).

On Tuesday I ordered at CameraQuest the CV 35/1.2 (bulky and heavy) as special lens for people and street photography (low contrast, not suitable for landscapes). I would also like to find a MATE...

Cheers.

For me:

WATE w/ finder

35 f/2 ASPH

90 f/2.8

This is what I used in Germany for the Leica/Porsche trip. I borrowed the 28 f/2.8 ASPH and 24 f/2.8 ASPH for a few shots, but those three did 90+% of the work.

I love the 35 cron for its size, ease of focusing, and superb quality. This is my go-to lens. The 90 elmarit is great for getting close to subjects and pinpointing details. Easy focusing and not too big. The WATE is just plain fun and totally unique. Set it to f/8 and use it like a point and shoot.

YMMV. Good luck.

David

HI There

I have the WATE as well, my pick for a trip is:

16-18-21 tri-elmar

28-35-50 tri-elmar

75 'cron (because it's great for close ups as well as portraits.)

Not for the first time, I find myself largely in agreement with Jono. This is exactly the kit I took to Italy earlier this summer. I was not entirely happy with the Tri-elmar -- I miss having my 35 and 50 Summilux primes -- but you have to love the flexibility it gives you. However, I found I didn't actually use the 75 'cron very much.

Having spent a lot of time traveling this year, I now think the ideal kit -- if you can take the weight -- is the WATE, the Tri-Elmar, the 90 'cron (because if you are going to need a long lens, take a long lens), and one fast prime. In my case, probably 35 Summilux. JB

Here's another take on this:

CV 15

28 2.8 Elmarit - small and none too pricey. Basic lens.

50 f 2 Summicron - bokeh, small, short tele, amazing usefulness

CV 75 2.5 for the long shot, or the thin Tele-Elmarit 90 f 2.8 (really small)

and for an extra - add the 35 f2 - but only if you see shots that way. Otherwise the 28 does just fine.

This is my kit, and with this, the MATE stays at home. It is a bit too slow, and the camera is not balanced with it. Sometimes its useful, but its not fun to haul around.

Geoff G

21/2.8, 35/2, 90/2.8 because you can use the 1.25 mag for all three lenses and an external 28 mm finder for the 21.

I use a CVM 35/2.5 now but plan to also get a 35/2 Summicron.

Weight with the M8 is 3.3 lbs (a kilo and a half).

Tom

Where are you travelling? What are you going to take pictures of? What else will you be doing? All this will make a world of difference. As stated, your question cannot be answered.

Here are some options:

General city use, street and indoor: 28mm Summicron + 75mm Cron or CV (don't underrate it).

Or 28 + 50 + lightweight 90.

Or 28 + 50 + a 'Miliched' CV 15.

Great outdoors: 35 + lightweight 90. I have just returned from a trip to Lapland, carrying a set of 'jubilee' (1983) 35 Summicron and 90 Tele-Elmarit. Great results.

Don't overburden yourself. You will work not only lighter but quicker with just two lenses.

The minimalist old man from the Age of Roll Film Folders

With a film M, I usually traveled with 35 and 50 Summicrons, and a 90/3.5 CV. I've always liked the classic trio of 35-50-90.

When I went to Europe, where the streets are skinny, I added a VC 25/4, later replaced by a 21/4. I didn't use them much, but I was glad to have them for a few shots.

I'll be taking an outdoor trip with the M8 soon, and I think I'll bring: 28, 35, 90.

Which in film terms is 37, 47, 120. Virtually the same trio as before, with a stretched 90. Outdoors, I always wanted the 90 to be longer, anyway.

When traveling, small is good. Light is good. Fanny packs are good.

--Peter

wait a sec...... u have all those lenses and u have no clue which to use ?????

if u dont manage with 35 or 50 alone (or on m8 it sould be 28 or 355 alone) then simple take point and shoot camera...... if u know how to manage one lens alone then u should know which additional ones will be useful for u .....