A recent S service experience with Leica

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 minutes ago, HuntingSand said:

Have you tried the little Contax Distagon 55mm as a light-weight walkabout lens on the S? THAT is an amazing piece of optical design, quite old by now of course, but it is aging really well. 

I haven’t. I tried 45/80/120/140. 55 is a very small lens for MF so I think it could be a very fun one especially we don’t have this focal in S line. 

On 7/24/2021 at 7:42 AM, HuntingSand said:

Have you tried the little Contax Distagon 55mm as a light-weight walkabout lens on the S? THAT is an amazing piece of optical design, quite old by now of course, but it is aging really well. 

I have been using the 55mm for a long time. It’s my body cap. Light and sweet. The only thing I do not like about the lens is it’s bokeh at short distances with busy backgrounds. 

On 7/23/2021 at 1:37 PM, ZHNL said:

What if you loose a screw on your 50 APO lens, and Leica charge you $8950 with 25% discount to fix it for you? Really, there is no much difference in attitude how to treat customers.   

That doesn’t happen very often and isn’t the way it works.  It is also possible that Leica cannot get spare parts quickly right now and was offering a quick solution.  Manufacturing is very slowly coming back, but the most important parts to make with limited capacity right now are new items, not spare parts.  

I have had very good experiences with Leica and third parties repairing equipment - film and digital - as well as my S007.  I would consider reaching back out to Leica and ask if they expect to get that part in the future, or it is gone for good.  If it is the lens release, is that not similar for all the S lens adapters?  I would also consider asking a Leica store for some assistance if you have a relationship with one. 

I hope you are successful in finding a fix.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to update this thread. I received an email from LUF admin and a contact info from Leica Germany. I sent all the info I have (pretty much the same as my initial post and service invoices) to Leica. Within a few days, I received an email back that indicated that what they did was wrong and a band new adapter is on its way from Leica Germany directly to me. (because Leica NJ doesnt have it in stock)

I truly appreciate all the helps I got from here and LUF admin. Of course Leica CS, they went extra mile on service in this case to make things right. I said I want to reports good news just that good news never happen with S service for my cases. Well, here you go, i am delivering the good message to all Leica users and who are potentially Leica or particularly S users. We are in good hand in need of help. This proves I am right about my choice to be a lifelong Leica user, a Leica S user. 

I am glad I can share something positive and joy here; A happy ending S story, cheers!    

16 minutes ago, ZHNL said:

I want to update this thread. I received an email from LUF admin and a contact info from Leica Germany. I sent all the info I have (pretty much the same as my initial post and service invoices) to Leica. Within a few days, I received an email back that indicated that what they did was wrong and a band new adapter is on its way from Leica Germany directly to me. (because Leica NJ doesnt have it in stock)

I truly appreciate all the helps I got from here and LUF admin. Of course Leica CS, they went extra mile on service in this case to make things right. I said I want to reports good news just that good news never happen with S service for my cases. Well, here you go, i am delivering the good message to all Leica users and who are potentially Leica or particularly S users. We are in good hand in need of help. This proves I am right about my choice to be a lifelong Leica user, a Leica S user. 

I am glad I can share something positive and joy here; A happy ending S story, cheers!    

Glad to hear. Now the key will be for Leica Service to handle all subsequent issues with the same quick resolution and satisfaction as you eventually experienced on your second attempt, but on the first attempt, and without outside assistance, consistently for all.  Just like my plumbing company experience described in post #8.

Jeff

1 hour ago, ZHNL said:

Kudos to Leica for doing the right thing!  

It is nice to see that Leica is made aware of issues through this forum, and/or follows up on issues that crop up. 

Rob

Advertisement (gone after registration)

16 hours ago, ropo54 said:

Kudos to Leica for doing the right thing!  

It is nice to see that Leica is made aware of issues through this forum, and/or follows up on issues that crop up. 

Rob

I agree, I am glad I made the post and it changed the direction to the right way. A big surprise to me anyway!

They went extra mile in this case but I do hope more people get the right treatments at the first place that is what make Leica special compare to others IMHO.       

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2021 at 12:42 AM, HuntingSand said:

What mount are you saying to buy for the S