A recent S service experience with Leica

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought a contax 645 80mm lens with Leica S to C adapter recently. I have the adapter myself but because it is a combo deal, I bought the adapter anyway. The lock pin is slightly lose (this was disclosed by seller) on this new one but fully functional. After one trip out, I found the small lock nut disappeared. Everything else is still there but the out side nut. I regret I didnt spend time investigate when I got the adapter. After this accident happen, I took a close look for the one I have. It should be a easy job to tight it up. (maybe half hour, because I need remove the mount ring to do so) 

Without thinking, I send to Leica NJ. and the adapter was send to Germany.  A few day later, I got the invoice. $1400 plus shipping. I can't believe my eyes, then I saw the detail: they claimed they dont have spare part but as complementary service, they offer me one with 25% discount plus tax.  

I don't know if this is some type of joke or not. What they expect I respond. I am quite sad to see Leica customer service deal customer case like this. If I am service manage, I will for sure to solve customer problem to meet reasonable expectation. 

I refuse the "service" obviously. I specified that ship the adapter back and make sure every single screw and spring I send with the adapter come back to me so I can DIY fix myself. It is on its way. I have some adapter lying around, and Novoflex one (R to GFX, or NIkon F to GFX) has almost the same lock nut as Leica one, or I will see if I can break down other cheaper one to fulfill the function. Anyone have good suggestion, please let me know. Much appreciate. 

I share this because I feel it is relevant and interesting story. and for anyone with Leica S adapter, check the screw and make sure they are tight up to avoid spend thousand dollor for losing nut or screw.   

That is truly embarassing…1400 dollars for a screw? It is less than ten years old too, so I believe they are required to have spare parts by the EU for ten years after they discontinue something. Even so, shouldn’t it be within the capacity of Leica to machine a new screw for you? I am ignorant of manufacturing, so perhaps it is harder than that, but it is rather embarassing and certainly bad to inflict something like that on a customer. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Stuart Richardson said:

1400 dollars for a screw?

doesn't he mean 1400 for a new adapter ?

"the adapter was send to Germany.  A few day later, I got the invoice. $1400 plus shipping. I can't believe my eyes, then I saw the detail: they claimed they dont have spare part but as complementary service, they offer me one with 25% discount plus tax.  "

Edited by frame-it

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I understand, but my point is that they want him to pay 1400 dollars for a new adapter because they cannot replace a screw. It seems as though it would be better practice and cheaper for them to make or obtain the part, since this may come up again. It is just depressing that they cannot fix a lens adapter that is no more than a few years old. It certainly does not bode well for the repairability of the S system in the long term.

Posted (edited)

I recently had a hot water faucet for a bathroom sink fail. Turns out the plumbing was fine, but a cheap plastic connector inside the 13 year old but relatively expensive polished chrome faucet handle broke. I called the manufacturer and the plastic connectors were not available separately.  They instead sent me a complete new chrome faucet handle and assembly… for free, including expedited shipment…and offered an apology.  Customer service takes all forms.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

It appears that Leica has taken a page from the Apple service manual.

Why sell a $1.50 screw when you can manipulate the consumer into spending $1400 for a new widget?

Apple pulled this stunt on me when I had a keyboard problem on a MacBookPro. Apparently, according to others on the internet, this is common practice due to their death grip on parts and repair manuals. My incident involved them offering me a "repair" that literally exceeded my initial purchase price 13 months prior. I used Louis Rossmann's company* and he repaired it for $600 including shipping.

*Rossmann Repair Group 141 W. 27th St New York, NY 10001 (347) 552-2258 Monday-Friday – 12 PM to 8 PM Saturday-Sunday 12 PM to 4 PM

Leica seems to have a policy to offer a discount on a new item if they don't have parts to repair an old one. This seems reasonable, other companies won't even look at an item after a few years.

In this case, the cost of replacement is out-of-line with the apparent damage to the item, even after discount. I'm sure you can find an independent source that will take-on this repair.

My local camera-repair shop once turned a screw on a lathe for a Hasselblad lens hood. It was a non-standard size, and they had three others to compare it to, so it was the work of a few minutes for them to make a new one rather than bodge the repair or refuse the job.

I can foresee a world where Leica can CNC or 3D-print parts on-demand, but we are not there yet. In the meanwhile, turning a screw should be a relatively simple job for any local machinist, provided they can work on pieces that small.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, djmay said:

There is usually more to the story besides what is reported.

This is disrespect and ignorant. Well, it is internet, people are free to write something they won’t say face to face. 

Edited by ZHNL

I have a Leica Contax to S adapter in front of me. I see 8 screws around the lens side, and a locking pin, and a tiny black screw behind it. On the camera side, five screws around the outer edge and three small black screws inside. I see no nuts anywhere. Do you mean the release button itself?

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, mgrayson3 said:

I have a Leica Contax to S adapter in front of me. I see 8 screws around the lens side, and a locking pin, and a tiny black screw behind it. On the camera side, five screws around the outer edge and three small black screws inside. I see no nuts anywhere. Do you mean the release button itself?

yes, the release button itself. I can see inside screw and lock pin still in the adapter. But release button is the only one gone. 

Edited by ZHNL
5 hours ago, frame-it said:

doesn't he mean 1400 for a new adapter ?

"the adapter was send to Germany.  A few day later, I got the invoice. $1400 plus shipping. I can't believe my eyes, then I saw the detail: they claimed they dont have spare part but as complementary service, they offer me one with 25% discount plus tax.  "

What if you loose a screw on your 50 APO lens, and Leica charge you $8950 with 25% discount to fix it for you? Really, there is no much difference in attitude how to treat customers.   

2 hours ago, BernardC said:

Leica seems to have a policy to offer a discount on a new item if they don't have parts to repair an old one. This seems reasonable, other companies won't even look at an item after a few years.

In this case, the cost of replacement is out-of-line with the apparent damage to the item, even after discount. I'm sure you can find an independent source that will take-on this repair.

My local camera-repair shop once turned a screw on a lathe for a Hasselblad lens hood. It was a non-standard size, and they had three others to compare it to, so it was the work of a few minutes for them to make a new one rather than bodge the repair or refuse the job.

I can foresee a world where Leica can CNC or 3D-print parts on-demand, but we are not there yet. In the meanwhile, turning a screw should be a relatively simple job for any local machinist, provided they can work on pieces that small.

Thank you for your reply. Thank you for being polite. 

I don't agree with you one thing:

Other company? Which other company have this issue you are talking about. Keep in mind, Leica C to S adapter is current product in their listing. I am not talking something 30 years old M or R accessories. If this logic applied, do I pay 25% discount buy a new car if my engine miss a screw or cap? 

Sorry to hear about your predicament. I also have this same combination on my S006, and it is worth every penny Leica asks for the replacement of the damn release button. No, I wouldn't pay $1400 of course, that's quite ridiculous, but what I am saying is that once (hopefully) you will get the adapter to work with the lens and the lens talk to the body, it is a dream setup. 

1 hour ago, HuntingSand said:

Sorry to hear about your predicament. I also have this same combination on my S006, and it is worth every penny Leica asks for the replacement of the damn release button. No, I wouldn't pay $1400 of course, that's quite ridiculous, but what I am saying is that once (hopefully) you will get the adapter to work with the lens and the lens talk to the body, it is a dream setup. 

Thanks. I have another adapter. It is just feel regretfully I didnt investigate it a little when I see the lose lock button. That is one of main purposes I made the post to inform more people in addition to, of course,  express unhappiness. 

I know post like this seems offending some users that emotionally attach with the gear or brand they use.

I love my S. Just it is me get treat this way than some who complain about my posts, if I or any random X guy did not disclose it, nobody will know what happened and the situation could be worse I figured. I'd be happy to share my happy experience with Leica here which just didnt happen with anything involve with S systems. 

I won't get any benefit doing so as I am not try to bargain with them at all after initial invoice other than a simple refuse service and I didn't complain to customer Service in NJ that I only have access to given it is not their faults at all.      

BTW, yes, I love contax lens, I feel the true stars of the system are 80 and 120. S glasses are still perform better technically, but C645 offer different charms. 

There is no reason a machinist with a mini lathe can not make you a nice brass button to thread on in place of the Leica button. Since you have another adapter, take both with you and be prepared to pay a 1 or 2 hour labor fee ($100 to $250 depending on where you live). Or call a community college and inquire about their 3d printing skills and equipment. For a few dollars donation, a professor will make it a class project.

vor 6 Stunden schrieb ZHNL:

BTW, yes, I love contax lens, I feel the true stars of the system are 80 and 120. S glasses are still perform better technically, but C645 offer different charms. 

Have you tried the little Contax Distagon 55mm as a light-weight walkabout lens on the S? THAT is an amazing piece of optical design, quite old by now of course, but it is aging really well. 

4 hours ago, Brian C in Az said:

There is no reason a machinist with a mini lathe can not make you a nice brass button to thread on in place of the Leica button. Since you have another adapter, take both with you and be prepared to pay a 1 or 2 hour labor fee ($100 to $250 depending on where you live). Or call a community college and inquire about their 3d printing skills and equipment. For a few dollars donation, a professor will make it a class project.

Thank you for the info. It is very helpful. I will keep this in mind.