Going from Q2 to M10R

Jeff Wagner

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is quite the transition and shows how user-friendly the Q2 really is. 
I’m trying out the M10R with the Summilux-M 1.4/35 ASPH and an older Summicron-M 2/50. Using the 50 is a lot easier for some reason (although I’m not sure how it’s listed in the menu for choosing a lens manually). The EVF lines are brighter and the patch larger making focusing easier. Using the 35 the lines are dimmer and the patch smaller, and it’s really distracting seeing both the lens and the lens hood while composing an image. 
What am I missing?

thank you 

Look up the lens number, ie: 11826, and look for that number in the list of 50mm lenses in the menu.

The focus patch takes a little getting used to for a new user. You’ll get it.

You will learn to ignore that hood in the viewfinder. Try keeping both eyes open briefly while  framing.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jeff,

Congratulations on getting an M10-R! Have you kept your Q2 as well? I notice you didn't mention a 28mm FL and was wondering that was because you already have it in the Q2 or whether you decided you wanted a change?

I originally looked at a Q2 but didn't want to be confined by the 28mm FL.

I haven't really noticed changes in my RF patches or the brightness of the frame lines as I switch between lenses (21/50/90) but I'll look out for it in the future. 

At the risk of sounding silly, new M shooters can occasionally experience dimmer framelines and RF patches if they hold their cameras and lenses in a way which obstructs light from entering the little light window on the top left of the lens. This may not be an issue for you but it did catch me out when starting with my M10 so I thought I'd at least mention it in case it helps.