Thinking of taking the plunge into MF. S3 or Fuji GFX 100s?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 hours ago, chrismuc said:

Can you send a link for scientific proof of your statement? 

I will let you in on the great secret of the internet: every post is simply an opinion. You can tack on "It is my opinion that" before any post  and you will not change its meaning in any way. This post included. "Scientific proofs" included. Peer reviewed journal articles included. (Sadly, I know what I'm talking about here, but you have no reason to believe me.) You're welcome to query why the poster believes such a thing, and they might reply with their opinion of why they believe it. It's qualia all the way down.

I happen to agree that the S is far superior to the SL, ( I have and use both) but that's for *my* needs. If I regularly needed a stabilized long zoom or faster AF that would be different.

To the landscape camera question, I preferred my S(007) to the SL. The quality of an image is not measured in the number of pixels. (There - my opinion again.)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pure personal preference. The Fuji will get a wider range of sharp images. But after using it for a year, I sold my GFX100 and a half dozen lenses, upgraded my S(007) to the S3 (I already had S lenses), and I'm much happier. Granted, you are not asking in the most unbiased forum 😁, but I just *like* the S3 images, and I *like* the ergonomics and UI. Ah. Here's what it is. On the GFX 100, the extra pixels add detail. On the S3, they add smoothness. I suppose that's another way of saying

I will let you in on the great secret of the internet: every post is simply an opinion. You can tack on "It is my opinion that" before any post  and you will not change its meaning in any way. This post included. "Scientific proofs" included. Peer reviewed journal articles included. (Sadly, I know what I'm talking about here, but you have no reason to believe me.) You're welcome to query why the poster believes such a thing, and they might reply with their opinion of why they believe it. It's qu

There is another option. This is cheeky, but you can buy my S3 and pick it up in Reykjavik, and I will send you home with some free prints from my studio (my main job, aside from photographer and teacher is printing exhibitions for the museums and galleries here). I am also pretty sure I know quite a bit more about Iceland than David Farkas, as lovely as he is, haha, so if you have any questions, I am happy to help. No pressure though. Regarding resolution, both the S3 and SL2 have more res

Posted Images

2 hours ago, mgrayson3 said:

I will let you in on the great secret of the internet: every post is simply an opinion. You can tack on "It is my opinion that" before any post  and you will not change its meaning in any way. This post included. "Scientific proofs" included. Peer reviewed journal articles included. (Sadly, I know what I'm talking about here, but you have no reason to believe me.) You're welcome to query why the poster believes such a thing, and they might reply with their opinion of why they believe it. It's qualia all the way down.

I happen to agree that the S is far superior to the SL, ( I have and use both) but that's for *my* needs. If I regularly needed a stabilized long zoom or faster AF that would be different.

To the landscape camera question, I preferred my S(007) to the SL. The quality of an image is not measured in the number of pixels. (There - my opinion again.)

Jim Kasson for example at his blog and at his posts at dpreview delivers facts. His findings on cameras, sensors and lenses are really valuable to follow. 

Opinions shall be marked with ‘IMO’, as in the according section of serious news papers, to verify the intention of the author. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, chrismuc said:

Jim Kasson for example at his blog and at his posts at dpreview delivers facts. His findings on cameras, sensors and lenses are really valuable to follow. 

Opinions shall be marked with ‘IMO’, as in the according section of serious news papers, to verify the intention of the author. 

Those info are very useful and interesting to read. However, If you value those highly, you may not be a Leica user at first place:)

I don’t take side but I would say the only way to find out is try both to find your own answer. No scientific test can answer your own calling for best tool. No one can answer what is far better or worse for your need. 

Edited by ZHNL
2 hours ago, ZHNL said:

Those info are very useful and interesting to read. However, If you value those highly, you may not be a Leica user at first place:)

I don’t take side but I would say the only way to find out is try both to find your own answer. No scientific test can answer your own calling for best tool. No one can answer what is far better or worse for your need. 

A continuation of the above (as I see it)Go for SL-bodies if technical advances are of key importance and the SL-Crons if optical perfection is the goal. The S-system is something different, not as optically perfect, not with stabilisation, etc., but with character and raw files generally not given by the SL-system. IMHO, after using the two systems (SL, SL2, S006, S3) for years. But I do miss stabilisation and/or electronic shutter on the S. And I do miss a long lens on S, although 280mm f4 APO-TELYT-R+1.4x extender serves my well on the S

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2021 at 10:49 AM, tedwill said:

Another option is to buy a used S007 and rent the appropriate lenses.  How does the S007 compare with the SL2 for image quality?

Since this is a trip lead by David Farkas, who shot with the S for years and knows all the lenses, I'd personally get an S 007 with a few lenses and have a much better time learning from David.  You can come by yourself with a GFX later...  The rendering of the S system is amazing.  Heck you can get @Stuart Richardson to do some prints for you while there, and even buy his S3 if you like the 007 a lot.:)

On 8/5/2021 at 1:44 PM, Jeff S said:

David Farkas has been to Iceland many times, and had much success using the S007.  I'm sure the S3 is marginally better, but the S007 is no slouch.  

https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2015/09/my-photographic-adventure-through-iceland-with-the-leica-s-typ007/

You'll have so much to talk about, gear, lenses, experiences, and such a good time doing that!  Almost wish I'd join y'all...  With a 007...

• 2 weeks later...

Since money seems to not be an issue, I’d say get both!! Overtime, sell what you don’t end up using much.. I have a 100s and Leica S 007.. (along with many other FF camera systems)

The S is just heavy for me and i seldom use it.. but It’s a keep sake and I intend to keep it.. few months ago, I got a used mamiya 80 f1.9n for the S007 and it’s awesome.. 

Edited by aksclix