Buy Open Box M10R Now or Wait for M11? No M Currently, ~12.5% Off Retail

eyeheartny

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, tom0511 said:

Do you want a camera to use now and over the next at least 12 months? Buy it now. Do you miss anything in the m10r what you expect to get in the M11? For me the M10r works really well, I don't really miss anything. M11 too far away IMO.

The M11 is supposed to drop on 11-11-21.  It will be 6-12 months or possibly more after that date before the M11 is readily available. 

Given that, I say get the open box M10R now - particularly since it is new, will have the Leica warranty and is priced favorably. 

If you get the M10R now, you will get 12-18 months of use/enjoyment with it. 

IMHO, for the foreseeable future M11 is pie in the sky.  Live in the now.  😎

• Like 1

The value of a digital camera is the use you get out if it, so if you intend to use it now then get one now. The M10-R is just about perfect. Besides I will not buy a just released Leica product without waiting 6 months until they ironed out the kinks.

As your first M, just get a used M10 from someone with a good reputation and at least a 2-week return policy. Some people rush to conclusions on shooting with an M without giving it a proper chance. You really need a few months with it.

M10s are already at a good depreciation point and you will not lose too much if you decide to sell it a year later if you decide that you need an M11.

Instead, get a good Leica lens (at least a Summicron) now and they don’t usually go down in value much, unless you beat it up. 

If you decide to sell the kit all together in a year, your M10 will probably not go down by more than a grand and you should reclaim most of the money from a good lens.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, roma said:

As your first M, just get a used M10 from someone with a good reputation and at least a 2-week return policy. Some people rush to conclusions on shooting with an M without giving it a proper chance. You really need a few months with it.

M10s are already at a good depreciation point and you will not lose too much if you decide to sell it a year later if you decide that you need an M11.

Instead, get a good Leica lens (at least a Summicron) now and they don’t usually go down in value much, unless you beat it up. 

If you decide to sell the kit all together in a year, your M10 will probably not go down by more than a grand and you should reclaim most of the money from a good lens.

I’ve been thinking about this option indeed. Part of me wants to just get an M10R at a good price and trust that the depreciation won’t be terrible in a few months if I resell on Facebook or FredMiranda. If I go with an earlier model as you suggest, the question is around what to pay for an M10-P. There’s a local private seller with one for $5900, but that’s high compared to what I’ve seen on the forums ($5400 or so). Or would you go even cheaper and get a pure M10 and not even pay for the P?

Edited by eyeheartny

On 7/22/2021 at 12:13 AM, TheGerman said:

How are they able to sell it for so cheap if it's brand new (might have to pull the trigger myself)? Were you able to register it with Leica?

i just bought a M10M for 50k RMB in Beijing, roughly 6500€, brand new, i wonder so much how they could sell it like that, dont dare to register the camera on the website haha

7 hours ago, eyeheartny said:

I’ve been thinking about this option indeed. Part of me wants to just get an M10R at a good price and trust that the depreciation won’t be terrible in a few months if I resell on Facebook or FredMiranda. If I go with an earlier model as you suggest, the question is around what to pay for an M10-P. There’s a local private seller with one for $5900, but that’s high compared to what I’ve seen on the forums ($5400 or so). Or would you go even cheaper and get a pure M10 and not even pay for the P?

Sure, I understand the desire to get the latest. It just depends on your funds situation and patience with a whole new way of operating a camera.

I got my M10 classic in like-new condition on Fredmiranda from someone I know for $4200 a year ago. I tried an M10P, but refused to pay that much for a camera that wakes up so slowly. So, my M10 is a temporary solution until the next one comes out, and I really hope it’s faster and has a better battery life. I may still keep my M10 as a backup, in case my new one has to spend weeks/months in service.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, eyeheartny said:

Post #11.  Buy a clean used copy from a reputable Leica dealer with warranty and return policy. Or at least demo one first.  The M10 is a fabulous camera, but even the M240 is fully capable, with the RF experience and terrific files. Some dealers, like Leica Miami, will offer 80% on a later trade if you decide to ‘upgrade’ and don’t want the hassle of selling on your own. 

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

On 7/21/2021 at 10:57 AM, eyeheartny said:

Looking around for my first M. Debating whether to pull the trigger on an open-box M10-R at a good price from a reputable seller or wait for the M11 when it drops later this year. I'll be turning 40 at the end of the year and it would be a present to myself, so waiting would also be somewhat symbolic/not too bad. Or would the other option be to buy the M10-R now, baby it, and sell it when the M11 comes out? Would appreciate any thoughts/guidance. 

At age 40, wait. One only needs to jump on these things when time is short. 

That said, the purported specs on the M11 seem rather odd. Occasionally, Leica does seem to lose its way. If the 11 is a dud or more likely, if the reporting is to be believed, wildly controversial then the 10-R resale price could strengthen.  It's a great camera, as was its forebearer. As owning an M is never about having the latest and greatest, it's hard to go wrong either way.

• Like 1