Buy Open Box M10R Now or Wait for M11? No M Currently, ~12.5% Off Retail

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Looking around for my first M. Debating whether to pull the trigger on an open-box M10-R at a good price from a reputable seller or wait for the M11 when it drops later this year. I'll be turning 40 at the end of the year and it would be a present to myself, so waiting would also be somewhat symbolic/not too bad. Or would the other option be to buy the M10-R now, baby it, and sell it when the M11 comes out? Would appreciate any thoughts/guidance. 

Normally I am the person who suggests waiting, but the M11 is not even announced yet, and while the rumors may be true, it is unlikely you will get one until next spring unless you put in a preorder or get lucky, so you might as well get the M10R at a decent price now and have almost a year of use with it before the M11 comes.

Rent one in the meantime and see if it satisfies and if you bond with the M/RF experience; some do, some don’t.  No need to rely on future predictions or opinions from strangers, which will cover the spectrum.

Jeff

15 minutes ago, eyeheartny said:

Looking around for my first M. Debating whether to pull the trigger on an open-box M10-R at a good price from a reputable seller or wait for the M11 when it drops later this year. I'll be turning 40 at the end of the year and it would be a present to myself, so waiting would also be somewhat symbolic/not too bad. Or would the other option be to buy the M10-R now, baby it, and sell it when the M11 comes out? Would appreciate any thoughts/guidance. 

You should expect to lose about 3k when you trade or sell your M10R for an M11through a dealer.

If that's acceptable to you then go ahead and enjoy the M10R now. Otherwise I would wait.

I was thinking the same, at the end I got a good deal on a M10-r and upgraded from M10-p. all and all much better camera.

I got it for $7500 new from a store in NJ. I don't know the people, but I came in 2 days.

https://www.hhgregg.com/products/leica-m10-r-digital-rangefinder-camera-silver-chrome-20003?_pos=1&_sid=063cbab40&_ss=r&fbclid=IwAR3qJ1VksUXgkYmZSeBOpIItbw-GYujjgmdSQDuJvSaBTRRnahchbqnasMg

with electronics you can always wait. or you get it now, enjoy it and when you get the itch again in a few years you try a new one.

39 minutes ago, Kwesi said:

You should expect to lose about 3k when you trade or sell your M10R for an M11through a dealer.

If that's acceptable to you then go ahead and enjoy the M10R now. Otherwise I would wait.

What about selling the M10-R privately? As an example, if I buy it for $7800, use it for 9 months, and list it (a silver one) for $6.75k, would that be realistic to sell for that amount? It's way cheaper than renting. 

You should be able to. Especially if you can offer the warranty along with it. I think its safe to assume that the M11 will come in between 9-10k. Given that M10 R is now 9k

So 6.75 k is attractive price esp if it comes with full warranty

49 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Rent one in the meantime and see if it satisfies and if you bond with the M/RF experience; some do, some don’t.  No need to rely on future predictions or opinions from strangers, which will cover the spectrum.

Jeff

This is a good idea, but part of it feels like throwing money away. Here's why: if I rent it'll cost me $670/week for the kit I'm thinking of. If I want to really spend time with the camera for a month of regular shooting and getting accustomed to the M experience, it'll cost ~$2700/month. That seems like a potential waste of money, since if I buy the kit and don't fall in love, I am thinking I can sell it for less than a $2700 loss after a month or two. Am I crazy for thinking that way? 

3 minutes ago, eyeheartny said:

This is a good idea, but part of it feels like throwing money away. Here's why: if I rent it'll cost me $670/week for the kit I'm thinking of. If I want to really spend time with the camera for a month of regular shooting and getting accustomed to the M experience, it'll cost ~$2700/month. That seems like a potential waste of money, since if I buy the kit and don't fall in love, I am thinking I can sell it for less than a $2700 loss after a month or two. Am I crazy for thinking that way? 

Well, if you buy it and don’t like it, you could potentially lose 20% on dealer trade-in unless you’re ok with the hassle of selling on your own.  Alternatively, you could buy a clean used M10 or M240 and not lose much if it doesn’t suit.  You might even work out a demo opportunity with a good dealer.

Jeff

54 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

I was thinking the same, at the end I got a good deal on a M10-r and upgraded from M10-p. all and all much better camera.

I got it for $7500 new from a store in NJ. I don't know the people, but I came in 2 days.

https://www.hhgregg.com/products/leica-m10-r-digital-rangefinder-camera-silver-chrome-20003?_pos=1&_sid=063cbab40&_ss=r&fbclid=IwAR3qJ1VksUXgkYmZSeBOpIItbw-GYujjgmdSQDuJvSaBTRRnahchbqnasMg

with electronics you can always wait. or you get it now, enjoy it and when you get the itch again in a few years you try a new one.

How are they able to sell it for so cheap if it's brand new (might have to pull the trigger myself)? Were you able to register it with Leica?

Just now, TheGerman said:

How are they able to sell it for so cheap if it's brand new (might have to pull the trigger myself)? Were you able to register it with Leica?

I'm wondering the same. Prices are incredibly low. 

4 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Well, if you buy it and don’t like it, you could potentially lose 20% on dealer trade-in unless you’re ok with the hassle of selling on your own.  Alternatively, you could buy a clean used M10 or M240 and not lose much if it doesn’t suit.  You might even work out a demo opportunity with a good dealer.

Jeff

I saw a used M10 for $3700 shipped from Thailand listed the other day. Would you expect I'd be able to sell that back on the used market for a decent price if I don't fall in love? 

I have an idea.

Leica Soho offers photo walks where where you can get a loaner camera and lens and join a group of folks on an "instructor" led walk around town for free. Thant would give you a taste of the M and you would know if its something you would want explore further.

call them and see if there is anything like that happening in the near future

Do you want a camera to use now and over the next at least 12 months? Buy it now. Do you miss anything in the m10r what you expect to get in the M11? For me the M10r works really well, I don't really miss anything. M11 too far away IMO.

13 minutes ago, eyeheartny said:

I saw a used M10 for $3700 shipped from Thailand listed the other day. Would you expect I'd be able to sell that back on the used market for a decent price if I don't fall in love? 

I only buy from reputable US Leica dealers.  Prices and trade policies are easy to check.  So, too, are demo opportunities I mentioned (one example above… Leica SoHo… good dealer).

Jeff

39 minutes ago, TheGerman said:

yes, no problem on registration, Not sure it makes a difference. they sell other leica gear at normal prices

56 minutes ago, eyeheartny said:

Just a thought, but some of the better known rental companies offer a chance to buy out the rental if you decide you like it. They would apply some or all of the rental fee toward a purchase. Lensrentals.com is one that comes to mind. Might be a way to save some money while also ensuring you like what they have sent you. 

Regarding the buy now or wait question, I think that's an endless cycle. There is ALWAYS something better/new/exciting coming. At what point do you stop waiting for the next thing? 

Posted (edited)

Buy what you need, when you need it!

Digital Leicas have a finite life span of about 10-15 years. Once used, value will depreciate 10-20%. Will depreciate 30-40% when a newer model is released.

This means that a Leica M10-R that retails for USD 9000 will fetch about USD 7,500-8000 once used, and will drop to USD 5500-6300 once an M11 comes to market.

Of course, you may pay less or more depending on condition, and demand and supply.

If you are buying second hand, keep this in mind, when negotiating price.

Edited by rramesh