Does the CL "dumb down" images when transferring via WiFi?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A friend texted me this morning in horror when he learned that one of his Fuji cameras has a buried parameter which, by default, compresses images transferred wirelessly. I'm not aware of such a default compromise in the Leica CL but thought I'd ask the experts. And, yes, I do use an SD card for 95% of my transfers.

Starting by the point that wireless download should be used just as review for example by one ipad and just to see a bigger preview of the image, as you said in fuji is a “parameter” so it can be modified, a pro user should never use a “profile by default” in any camera or it means you are not managing the instrument.

Edited by M.piras

No doubt about it, but there are those times when a file gets transferred wirelessly, and you begin editing, and you like your edit and want to keep it. This is the importance of the question: does the CL have such a parameter (I'm guessing not) and if so is it on by default?

I use a custom profile, and am relatively certain that I've gone through every parameter carefully, but so was my friend. Hence the post.

I was travelling last weekend and brought my CL & my tablet.  it has the Fotos app and the app version of Lightroom.  Transferring the files in Fotos worked perfectly and I was able to save the shots I liked to Lightroom.  When you save them from Fotos to Lightroom a message pops up that lets you select the preview version of the photo or the full DNG version.  Not wanted to use a lot of storage space I just saved the smaller preview version and then just did an auto-correct in Lightroom. 

It was more to just see what I shot and they photos actually looked pretty good on the tablet.  Of course I downloaded the DNG's when I got home for final processing on my home PC.  It worked so well that I may do this more often if/when I don't feel like lugging my giant-size 17" gaming laptop around on short trips.  People complain about the Fotos app, but it works seamlessly on my Samsung phone & tablet.  

• Like 2

OP:

My CL is always set to create DNG files only. I've carried the CL, iPhone, and iPad Pro on several trips and used Leica FOTOs to transfer DNG files to the iPad that I process/render (in whatever tools) while still on the road. They are identical to the DNG files I transfer direct from the SD card once I return home, I've checked this specifically. 

I process/render my photos in Lightroom Classic on macOS normally. But there are times when I prefer what I've done with SnapSeed or Photos or whatever on the iPad/iPhone, and I can't replicate it easily with LR's tools. Eh? who cares? I use whatever rendering I like more. :D

What FOTOs might do with JPEGs I cannot answer. ;)

G

1 hour ago, ramarren said:

I process/render my photos in Lightroom Classic on macOS normally. But there are times when I prefer what I've done with SnapSeed or Photos or whatever on the iPad/iPhone, and I can't replicate it easily with LR's tools. Eh? who cares? I use whatever rendering I like more. :D

It's interesting that you mention that.  There were some photos I shot last weekend where I liked the rendering from the Lightroom app on the tablet with just using the auto setting.  I could not get the same look on my PC with the full DNG file.  Could be though, that seeing the images on a small tablet is just different (more compressed?) than looking at them on a 24" color calibrated monitor.  I might try downloading the tablet's images and putting them side-by-side with the DNG in Lightroom and see if I can get them to match that way.  

On 7/23/2021 at 3:28 PM, ramarren said:

OP:

My CL is always set to create DNG files only. I've carried the CL, iPhone, and iPad Pro on several trips and used Leica FOTOs to transfer DNG files to the iPad that I process/render (in whatever tools) while still on the road. They are identical to the DNG files I transfer direct from the SD card once I return home, I've checked this specifically. 

What FOTOs might do with JPEGs I cannot answer. ;)

G

If you use LR mobile on your iPhone your images will be automatically synchronized to LR  (CC version) on your Mac through iCloud. I suppose you could migrate them to LRC from there.

6 hours ago, jaapv said:

If you use LR mobile on your iPhone your images will be automatically synchronized to LR  (CC version) on your Mac through iCloud. I suppose you could migrate them to LRC from there.

This is true, but I refuse to play with Adobe's cloud storage which LR Mobile requires.

I don't need the automation. I want explicit control. :D

G

11 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Yes but transferring images from one device to another has little to do with control and more with convenience. 

??
I simply have no use for Adobe cloud stuff, and will not use it. Stuffing my SD card into the card reader that's always attached to my computer is always the most convenient, reliable, and fastest way to have all my exposures on my computer, and I am in complete control of the process. 

G

On 7/24/2021 at 7:40 PM, jaapv said:

Yes but transferring images from one device to another has little to do with control and more with convenience. 

Yes that's how I view it, too, and in fact I'd argue that wider access to pics gives us more control. In any case, I want the option of transferring wirelessly and am happy that Leica sends full-res photos.