Giving up on LR - what should I choose?

On 7/21/2021 at 8:26 AM, RobM said:

Darktable? You must mean darktable 😉 They make a noise about the lower-case d. 

Well, the price is right! I’ll give it a try. Thanks. 

Rob, I just noticed, you're not by any chance the Scottish "no-nails" guitarist and lute player Rob MacXxxxxx, are you?  If so, I'm a frequent listener and fan on Spotify! 🙂

All the best!

• Thanks 1

I am! Form an orderly queue for autographs 😄

I teach from home - these days via Zoom - and needed to get out for a health walk every day. I soon got bored with that, so bought a cheap camera to give me something to do. I quickly realised that I loved photography, and then began the years of experimenting with different cameras and mediums, eventually selling all my equipment for a Leica M9 Monochrom, which after a year I traded in for a Q2M, which is definitely the camera I’ve been searching for all these years. I now have a Q2 as well, though have not quite found my voice with colour photography , though I love the camera. 

I don’t know why I told you all that, but there it is! 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, RobM said:

I teach from home - these days via Zoom - and needed to get out for a health walk every day. I soon got bored with that, so bought a cheap camera to give me something to do. I quickly realised that I loved photography, and then began the years of experimenting with different cameras and mediums, eventually selling all my equipment for a Leica M9 Monochrom, which after a year I traded in for a Q2M, which is definitely the camera I’ve been searching for all these years. I now have a Q2 as well, though have not quite found my voice with colour photography , though I love the camera. 

Fantastic! I'm smitten with the old stuff, a Leica IIIf, Summicron 5cm/2 and a Summaron 3.5cm/3.5. I have a bit of trouble with colour too, only seem to take photos of brightly coloured things. 🙂  Just did a quick Google and the lower-case darktable has support for the Q2. See: https://www.darktable.org/resources/camera-support/

Cheers!

• Like 1

I changed to Capture One and haven't regretted it so far, although LR 6.14 still runs on my ancient Mac. I haven't tried Affinity yet but it appears go have pretty good value for money. They offer to load a free test version.

Edit - there is a digital post-processing sub-forum, which might give you more responses:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/forum/55-digital-post-processing-forum/

Stefan

Edited by StS
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 7/19/2021 at 11:50 AM, RobM said:

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. After following all the links and suggestions, I've opted for Exposure 6 - thanks Bobitybob. You win! 😀

Rob, please let us know how Exposure works for you. It is very similar to Lightroom, so should be easy to learn. It has been on my emergency LR replacement list for some time.

Will do. My experience so far has been entirely positive. My editing is intentionally minimal, so every editing program has far more to it than I will ever need.

Exposure, Shadows, Blacks, Whites, Clarity, and sharpening is about all I ever use, apart from the rare moment of wild fancy! Exposure X6 has all of these as easily accessible as with LR6, and in the same place. 

There is a large section of film-style presets which are dangerously fun to play with...

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/11/2021 at 9:51 PM, RobM said:

Will do. My experience so far has been entirely positive. My editing is intentionally minimal, so every editing program has far more to it than I will ever need.

Exposure, Shadows, Blacks, Whites, Clarity, and sharpening is about all I ever use, apart from the rare moment of wild fancy! Exposure X6 has all of these as easily accessible as with LR6, and in the same place. 

There is a large section of film-style presets which are dangerously fun to play with...

Did Exposure recognize and import your existing LR catalogue? If so, does use of the catalogue work seamlessly for you?

Lightroom can't work before it knows where the pictures are located.  But you can store them how you like. I use LR to filter my files and find the pictures I need to process and export. It is that function I was interested in knowing how Exposure handles filtering.

2 hours ago, wda said:

Lightroom can't work before it knows where the pictures are located.  But you can store them how you like. I use LR to filter my files and find the pictures I need to process and export. It is that function I was interested in knowing how Exposure handles filtering.

Exposure doesn't use a catalogue as you would recognise it in Lightroom.  it reads the image files straight off the storage media and creates a new folder in which it stores it's version of XMP files, one for each image into which it writes previews, edits, keywords etc.  You can filter your photos using Smart Collections/collections the same as you can in LRc and also import text based keyword lists.  It allows filtering via metadata, rating, colour label etc the same as LRc.  You can even change the keyboard shortcuts to be the same as LRc in the Preferences.

If you take a look at their website there is a Tutorials section that covers most of this.

I started to use it when LR6.14 wouldn't work anymore on my new Mac, but I have drifted back to LRc which I have decided to give it a try for 12 months to decide if it's worth the subscription.  If I decide it's not and I'm thinking it may not be as I rarely use any of the other apps such as Photoshop then I will keep Bridge and Camera Raw which is free and go back to Exposure.

By the way I have no connection to Exposure other than as a now occasional user.

Edited by Bobitybob

Bob, thank you. I understand your position. I run LR 6.14 on Windows. I refuse to upgrade for reasons of risk to old legacy software. It does all I need and more. Exposure has been on my reserve list, in case future problems arise. Hence my curiosity over your experience.

What prompted your temporary shelving of Exposure?

Nothing really, it works very well and even offers somethings that Lightroom doesn't but you know what it's like, after so many years of using the same program it's hard to change.

Perhaps an analogy may help.

It’s like when your favourite pub the ‘Lightroom Arms’, closes and you can’t access it anymore, you look around for an alternative and find a new place to go the ‘Exposure House’.  It’s close to home, the beer is good, and the other customers are friendly. So you settle down to enjoy the experience. However, after a while you realise that although it’s good and fulfils all your needs it’s not the same and there are a few foibles that annoy you. You then hear that your old pub is reopening after a refurbishment, and although you have been very happy at the Exposure House, you feel you just have to give the Lightroom Arms one last try. The prices are more or less the same so off you go on opening day and indeed your old comfortable haunt is there and is now offering additional services such as big TVs with sports, a wider range of beers with enhancements, and different rooms to help you perfect your drinking in ways that you can’t do in the old pub. You are home!  You decide to give it a try for a bit and all goes well and then you realise that your favourite pub has got a bit trendy and loud and you never use the enhancements or try the other rooms as it’s so hard to find your way in and learn a new etiquette you hardly ever bother and never use them.

Luckily, you never offended anyone at the Exposure House and pop in occasionally just to keep up with what’s going on as you know that you may not want to use the Lightroom Arms at the end of the day.

There's a lot that comes with the Photographers subscription Plan and it probably is good value.  However, over the last couple of months having set it all up, other than Lightroom Classic and the occasional venture into Photoshop which is stunning but the learning curve is enormous I have hardly used any of the other features, no taking my iPad on holiday with me to edit and sync as I am happy to wait until I get home, no Bridge or website builder, no free fonts etc.

I will always keep my current version of Exposure X6, particularly for it's ease of use, edit layers, the film simulations and some of the overlay effects and should I decide at the end of the day that what I am paying for the use of just Lightroom Classic isn't value to me, I will go back to Exposure without any hesitation as I offers all I need and more.  

Hope that's helpful

Edited by Bobitybob
  • Like 1

Bob, that is a very interesting and apt analogy. I was bordering on feeling sad that your story had ended. You clearly are happy with your hybrid solution. For me, I continue to learn about tools in LR 6.14 I seldom use, but sense could be useful to me. In conjunction with my old version of Lr, I do value Nik Viveza and its control points. It is a better way of masking, for me, than struggling with Photoshop.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rob, I too lost access to my old copies of PS and LR, my go to RAW processing software, when my iMac platform was updated following repairs. I do believe if you have the use for it the Adobe subscription service is good value. However for my limited needs I opted to download a freebee copy of Affinity photo that came with my Xrite colour management software just to try initially. Took a while but getting to like it. Not particularly intuitive to use but plenty of instruction videos online and their tech. boys and girls are very helpful. The developer module also has a built in ‘Q' lens profile ( never knew how much vignetting the lens had until I turned off the lens profile ! ) It has many of the PS features I previously used and supports my NIK software plugins. Worth a try.

Dyfrig.

Edited by rhysgill
spelling error
  • Like 1