Q2 autofocus rectangle size adjustment

Advertisement (gone after registration)

How to disable it?  I like to shoot AF-S with single field focus. My problem is that the focus rectangle always comes up with two red triangles in opposite corners. I realize that this allows for changing the size of the rectangle, but I want to get rid of it. I’m sure there is a simple way, but I cannot find it. Help, please. 

Posted (edited)

You are out of luck. No way I’m aware of to eliminate the two corner markers. You could choose SPOT then you only get a cross-hair indicating the focus place. 

Edited by Leica Guy
6 hours ago, Leica Guy said:

You are out of luck. No way I’m aware of to eliminate the two corner markers. You could choose SPOT then you only get a cross-hair indicating the focus place. 

That’s a damn shame, because shooting with the single focus rectangle disables all Capture Assistants except when the shutter button is depressed halfway, at least that’s what’s happening on my camera. Most annoyingly, it prevents making exposure adjustments using the live histogram. Why should this be? Is there a workaround?

I have been using spot focus, but I would prefer a larger focus area most of the time. 

On 7/18/2021 at 6:18 PM, robgo2 said:

That’s a damn shame, because shooting with the single focus rectangle disables all Capture Assistants except when the shutter button is depressed halfway, at least that’s what’s happening on my camera. Most annoyingly, it prevents making exposure adjustments using the live histogram. Why should this be? Is there a workaround?

I have been using spot focus, but I would prefer a larger focus area most of the time. 

Changing the focus box from spot to a larger size doesn't disable anything. Press the center button of the d-pad to toggle the info overlays off and on.

On 7/21/2021 at 8:55 PM, hdmesa said:

Changing the focus box from spot to a larger size doesn't disable anything. Press the center button of the d-pad to toggle the info overlays off and on.

Sorry, but that's now how it works on my Q2. Once the two red triangles appear (on their own, I might add), there is no way to get rid of them, and the Capture Assistants disappear except when depressing the shutter button halfway. Toggling the center button has no effect.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, robgo2 said:

Sorry, but that's now how it works on my Q2. Once the two red triangles appear (on their own, I might add), there is no way to get rid of them, and the Capture Assistants disappear except when depressing the shutter button halfway. Toggling the center button has no effect.

That's not normal when AF mode is in Field (mode that allows the box size to be changed).

Long-press of the rear screen is what initiates the red brackets. Half-press of the shutter or pressing the center button of the 4-way arrow pad turns off the red brackets.

Two things you could try that will keep it from ever happening by accident:

1. Under Focusing menu, turn off Touch AF in EVF. Using the rear screen to move the AF point while looking through the EVF activates the red brackets – this is for sure a firmware bug Leica needs to sort out. The long-press should not work while looking through the EVF with Touch AF in EVF on, but it does. If you depend on Touch AF in EVF, then use Spot AF.
  2. You can further keep it from happening by accident from your thumb resting on the side of the LCD while you grip the camera by turning off Touch AF.

If you do both the above and need to set the focus box size again, turn on Touch AF, set the focus box size, then turn it off again.

Edited by hdmesa

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 7/23/2021 at 2:28 PM, robgo2 said:

2Sorry, but that's now how it works on my Q2. Once the two red triangles appear (on their own, I might add), there is no way to get rid of them, and the Capture Assistants disappear except when depressing the shutter button halfway. Toggling the center button has no effect.

On my Q2 I have the same issue - the two red triangles appear when I am shooting. But only when shooting vertically. Pretty sure my nose touching the LCD screen is causing this.

Are you touching the screen somehow while shooting?

4 hours ago, KenBennett said:

On my Q2 I have the same issue - the two red triangles appear when I am shooting. But only when shooting vertically. Pretty sure my nose touching the LCD screen is causing this.

Are you touching the screen somehow while shooting?

Well, I am a left eye shooter, so it’s possible that my nose touches the screen. I’ll have to pay attention to this. Thanks for the suggestion. 

1 hour ago, RoySmith said:

One’s nose touching the LSD screen and triggering the focus box resize was a major problem for us left eyed shooters until the most recent firmware update to version 3.1

Make sure you have installed that update.

Roy

If you have Touch AF in EVF turned on, it still happens with 3.1 because the rear screen is expecting touch input in that mode. What they need to do is disable the long-press functionality in that mode.

It known as the 'AF Quick Setting' (=long press functionality).

As per Leica instructions for FW 3.1 (1.1 for Q2M)

'TOUCH AF IN EVF MODE

Touch AF is deactivated by default when EVF is in use to prevent any inadvertent altering of the AF metering field. AF Quick Setting continues to be accessible. This function can also be disabled if that is not wanted (e.g. when focusing with the left eye).

Factory setting: Off

• ▸  Select Focusing in the main menu

• ▸  S e l e c t  Touch AF in EVF

• ▸  Select the desired setting

(On, AF Quick Setting Only, Off)

• –   On
    – Positioning of the AF metering field (quick tap)
    – Accessing the AF Quick Setting (touch and hold)

• –   AF Quick Setting Only
    – Accessing the AF Quick Setting (touch and hold)

• –   Off

Note

• In this case, you can change the position of the AF metering field by swiping.'

Edited by Budfox