Tri-Elmar (MATE) and BMW1200GS - Great Combination

lanetomlane

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm a keen motorcyclist and when I ride I always have difficulty in deciding what focal length lenses should accompany my M10, or M9 Monochrom; due to the restricted storage space if I only take the tank bag. Usually I take a 50mm "fitted" and a 35mm.

Don't know why I never thought of it before (probably due to my senior years) but last week I remembered I had a 28-35-50 Tri-Elmar and took it along, what a great combination. I only ever ride the bike during daylight and so the f4.0 aperture is plenty fast enough.

I've had this latest Version 2 for about 18 months and so far so good. I bought a Version 1 shortly after they were introduced but after a couple of years had mechanical problems with it, in that it wouldn't pick-up the correct frame lines. I had it repaired by Leica but the same fault developed again a couple of years later and so I eventually traded it in. (Telling David Stephens about the problem.) I really missed the lens and so when Stephens got another one, I bought it, but unfortunately the same problem occurred. I read somewhere that the Version 2 was much better mechanically and so when a nice came up on eBay, I jumped in again; and so far so good.

I'd be interested to know of other people's experienced with this lens, as I think it's a great concept.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I’ve had version 2 for many years starting on a M7 now on a M10R. It has been a great lens, no problems thus far. It has become my most used travel lens, fast enough for my usual daylight use. This plus a 24f3.4 and a 90mm APO Summicron make a great travel kit. Doug

Can't speak to the WATE, but I, too, am often on my motorcycle (Ducati) with - usually - the CL. You are not saying you transport your M in the tankbag, are you? I'd be afraid the vibrations (even if you had Ohlins on the GS, which it doesn't come with stock) might harm the internals of the camera when it sits on top of the metal tank. It's of course right at hand when you need it along the way. Been trying to figure out the best way to keep the camera safe and "unrattled" on the bike, that's all.

2 hours ago, HuntingSand said:

Can't speak to the WATE, but I, too, am often on my motorcycle (Ducati) with - usually - the CL. You are not saying you transport your M in the tankbag, are you? I'd be afraid the vibrations (even if you had Ohlins on the GS, which it doesn't come with stock) might harm the internals of the camera when it sits on top of the metal tank. It's of course right at hand when you need it along the way. Been trying to figure out the best way to keep the camera safe and "unrattled" on the bike, that's all.

Ducati produces only friendly vibrations. Those won’t hurt the M-mechanism. I’m not sure however about BMW. That’s more a shaker.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, lanetomlane said:

I'm a keen motorcyclist and when I ride I always have difficulty in deciding what focal length lenses should accompany my M10, or M9 Monochrom; due to the restricted storage space if I only take the tank bag. Usually I take a 50mm "fitted" and a 35mm.

Don't know why I never thought of it before (probably due to my senior years) but last week I remembered I had a 28-35-50 Tri-Elmar and took it along, what a great combination. I only ever ride the bike during daylight and so the f4.0 aperture is plenty fast enough.

I've had this latest Version 2 for about 18 months and so far so good. I bought a Version 1 shortly after they were introduced but after a couple of years had mechanical problems with it, in that it wouldn't pick-up the correct frame lines. I had it repaired by Leica but the same fault developed again a couple of years later and so I eventually traded it in. (Telling David Stephens about the problem.) I really missed the lens and so when Stephens got another one, I bought it, but unfortunately the same problem occurred. I read somewhere that the Version 2 was much better mechanically and so when a nice came up on eBay, I jumped in again; and so far so good.

I'd be interested to know of other people's experienced with this lens, as I think it's a great concept.

This scene reminds of Wells-Next-the-Sea in Norfolk, UK.

I haven't used my MATE on a motorbike, but I would recommend packing it securely to avoid excessive vibration. It is a very complex mechanism and deserves sensible packaging in transit. I have Version 2, coded by Leica as an after-service. I think it is ideal for your chosen purpose.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gobert said:

Ducati produces only friendly vibrations. Those won’t hurt the M-mechanism. I’m not sure however about BMW. That’s more a shaker.

Yes flat twin motorbike is kind of shaker 😌, but becomes better since three or four generations of BMW.

I travel thousands of kms with tank bag with M inside, R1100, R1150, R1200, more or less on difficult roads.

From experience, I just had some 'padding', as clothes or under/in the bag a thick foam to absorb vibrations.

Voyager Bag is very nice for map and some photo gear 'protected' and easy access.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

14 hours ago, wda said:

This scene reminds of Wells-Next-the-Sea in Norfolk, UK.

I haven't used my MATE on a motorbike, but I would recommend packing it securely to avoid excessive vibration. It is a very complex mechanism and deserves sensible packaging in transit. I have Version 2, coded by Leica as an after-service. I think it is ideal for your chosen purpose.

10 out of 10; it is Wells Next Sea in Norfolk. Living near St Ives (Cambs) the North Norfolk Coast is a perfect day out on the bike.

17 hours ago, HuntingSand said:

I’ve ridden BM’s for years (certainly over 40) and have always carried Leica’s in the tank bag without any problems. I usually put the camera in one of the Leica “foam” bags and have never worried about it.

• Like 2

Sorry for out of topic, this would be my last OOT 😉.

The 'tank' Voyager Bag that I keep while changing motorbike over years is as practical as a tank bag can be.

Here in rainy day, crossing the Shannon in the ShannonBreeze, easy to protect

whole frame from M9 + Summilux-M 35mm  ( not MATE ! )

here crop of object of interest

comparing with the higher GS's tank bag which I never have.

• Thanks 1

The MATE seems to me to be a great idea badly implemented. I bought mine for use on the M8, so it was used almost exclusively on the 28mm and 35mm settings, and the results were superb. But working as a journalist, I was unable to trust this lens, so stopped using it. The biggest problem was the tendency to flare when used at the 50mm setting. This flaring doesn't happen too often, but when it does it's drastic - the pic is unrecoverable. The other problem is that if you are changing lenses fast, it's easy for the focal-length-adjustment control ring to get moved away from the setting that you wanted, so that the lens produces no useful image.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, a.noctilux said:

The 'tank' Voyager Bag that I keep while changing motorbike over years is as practical as a tank bag can be.

There are two tank bags for the GS; I only use the smaller one. Are you still riding the RT? I always had RS’s but promised myself an RT when I was 60. Was still having fun on the RS and so bought a GS for my 70th birthday, three years ago.

1 hour ago, a.noctilux said:

1 hour ago, roydonian said:

The MATE seems to me to be a great idea badly implemented. I bought mine for use on the M8, so it was used almost exclusively on the 28mm and 35mm settings, and the results were superb. But working as a journalist, I was unable to trust this lens, so stopped using it. The biggest problem was the tendency to flare when used at the 50mm setting. This flaring doesn't happen too often, but when it does it's drastic - the pic is unrecoverable. The other problem is that if you are changing lenses fast, it's easy for the focal-length-adjustment control ring to get moved away from the setting that you wanted, so that the lens produces no useful image.

I agree about the risk of lens flare at 50mm setting. Did you use the Tri-Elmar lens hood?  I found that helps.

1 hour ago, lanetomlane said:

There are two tank bags for the GS; I only use the smaller one. Are you still riding the RT? I always had RS’s but promised myself an RT when I was 60. Was still having fun on the RS and so bought a GS for my 70th birthday, three years ago.

I never have RT.

This is (are) not so common R1200ST.

I ride another ST 1200 now, as the All Black was fire victim one night in Paris ( it then replaced the older red ST which had 70k km ).

Before that I had the RS 1150.

With this one we travelled in hiden France and Europe.

seen in this thread some time back

Returning to MATE,

we have a nice read here

and here

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1