Dilemma: Q2 and/or Q2 Monochrom?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes I know it’s MY problem, but what would you do? I want to get the Q2 Monochrom. I currently have the Q2 and also a Sony rx1r.
Sell the Q2, put money towards the Q2 Monochrom and use the Sony for colour? The Sony IQ is excellent but no EVF and 24Mpx. Keep both Q2s and sell Sony? The Q2 of course does excellent B&W but...you know...

There is a saying about streetcars and women. A similar thing holds for cameras. Namely, every three years another one comes around. That means, I would do nothing, but taking pictures with the equipment I have. But only until you know for yourself, what you have to do! (Sorry, but that has to be communicated)

Edited by jankap

It’s not just about the camera for me, but about mindset and workflow.  In a similar vein, I own both the M10 and the M10 Monochrom.  But I never use them together.  The primary advantage of the Monochrom for me is the singular b&w mindset, demanding that I shoot exclusively b&w, as in my film days. And when in that mode, I don’t want to ruin the experience by also carrying a camera capable of color rendering.  Having two bodies with almost identical ergonomics and controls, however, helps when I switch gear for a different intent. Both cameras are fully capable of producing superb… or mediocre… prints; that’s on me.

Jeff

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

It’s not just about the camera for me, but about mindset and workflow.  In a similar vein, I own both the M10 and the M10 Monochrom.  But I never use them together.  The primary advantage of the Monochrom for me is the singular b&w mindset, demanding that I shoot exclusively b&w, as in my film days. And when in that mode, I don’t want to ruin the experience by also carrying a camera capable of color rendering.  Having two bodies with almost identical ergonomics and controls, however, helps when I switch gear for a different intent. Both cameras are fully capable of producing superb… or mediocre… prints; that’s on me.

Jeff

Very well said. 

Both the M10 Monochrom and the Q2 Monochrom have one attribute that no other digital cameras have:  They cause the image maker to think in black and white.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 2

You can still think B&W by changing what the EVF shows you. My CL has the EVF setup to only show B&W because that’s how I like to think. It doesn’t stop me from looking at the images in either B&W or color when I get them into LightRoom. One small change in your EVF would appear to give you what you want and it won’t cost you anything to do so.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Le Chef said:

You can still think B&W by changing what the EVF shows you. My CL has the EVF setup to only show B&W because that’s how I like to think. It doesn’t stop me from looking at the images in either B&W or color when I get them into LightRoom. One small change in your EVF would appear to give you what you want and it won’t cost you anything to do so.

There is no substitute IMO for thinking and seeing in b&w than having a camera that only takes monochrome pics. I argued the opposite for years, saying that I could still ‘think’ in b&w with digital cameras after decades using b&w film, and that was true to a degree, but that was before I used a Monochrom.  It’s not what the VF shows me (after all, the surrounding world still appears in color), it’s what I’m conditioned to think and visualize on my own.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Le Chef said:

So a Monochrome helps me forget that the world around me is in color? Wow! Does this come on prescription?

No, it helps you to better interpret that color world into b&w tonality…. even when not having the camera/VF to your eye…. to seek out desired compositions.  Of course that means using the Monochrom over an extended period to enhance the ability.  This is exactly what happened to me when I only loaded b/w film.  YMMV, as they say.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Sorry, but this is delusional. Show me how the Q2 Monochrome exclusively helps me “see” in B&W when setting my EVF on my color camera will do exactly the same thing? On your analysis merely holding the Q2 in my hand will let me see my world in B&W without ever lifting it to my eye? if in the past I shot B&W film did that change my world to monochrome or did it stay in color? Did the viewfinder of my film camera shooting B&W film show the image in monochrome or in color? Do the EVFs of the Q2 and Q2M differ in spec? If so how do they differ?

The real response is the OUTPUT is different and that’s why you buy a dedicated monochrome camera, not because it exclusively lets you see in B&W.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Le Chef said:

Sorry, but this is delusional. Show me how the Q2 Monochrome exclusively helps me “see” in B&W when setting my EVF on my color camera will do exactly the same thing? On your analysis merely holding the Q2 in my hand will let me see my world in B&W without ever lifting it to my eye? if in the past I shot B&W film did that change my world to monochrome or did it stay in color? Did the viewfinder of my film camera shooting B&W film show the image in monochrome or in color? Do the EVFs of the Q2 and Q2M differ in spec? If so how do they differ?

The real response is the OUTPUT is different and that’s why you buy a dedicated monochrome camera, not because it exclusively lets you see in B&W.

You misunderstand completely.  My comments have nothing to do with the EVF or any of its settings.  They relate only to one’s brain and mindset, merely helping one to concentrate on b/w compositions while out shooting. If one’s camera can produce color, the tendency is to look for compositions suitable for color, not b/w.  A monochrome camera forces discipline and better concentrates the effort.  That’s all.

Jeff

• Like 4