R to L Lens Adapter

marknorton

12 hours ago, PetersPhotoChannel said:
I will have to verify the other two statements, one being that there are no R-lens profiles stored in the SL’s memory and that you can enter whatever focal length lens manually in the menue  and attach another lens with a different focal length - and still have a proper working IBIS. How could that work?

@PetersPhotoChannel In the SL2-S manual it says the image stabulation for the “normal” setting “Camera shake in all directions (horizontal, vertical, rotational) will be corrected automatically.”

It does not talk about the necessity for a focal length.  I keep my IBIS on most of the time and have used it with the R APO 70-180 f/2.8 in odd lighting conditions.  In the original SL, only lens IBIS was available (SL 90-280 f/2.8-f/4.0 was the only one if I recall).  The SL2(S) has a sensor that can detect multiple dimensions of movement, so I do not think focal length is used, but it is possible.

• 1 year later...

A combination of an R-L adapter and a ROM-equipped Zoom lens:

- Will the adapter transmit the focal length and aperture to the camera?

- Or just the focal length to the camera?

- Will the aperture be present in the Exifs?

Thanks in advance!

vor 36 Minuten schrieb Krycek:

Will the adapter transmit the focal length and aperture to the camera?

If it is an original Leica R to L adapter, I believe both the focal length and the aperture are in fact transmitted to the camera, and would also be shown in the Exif-data.

• Like 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb wizard:

If it is an original Leica R to L adapter, I believe both the focal length and the aperture are in fact transmitted to the camera, and would also be shown in the Exif-data.

Thanks but i want to be sure if the aperture will also shown in the Exif-data.

3 hours ago, Krycek said:

A combination of an R-L adapter and a ROM-equipped Zoom lens:

- Will the adapter transmit the focal length and aperture to the camera?

- Or just the focal length to the camera?

- Will the aperture be present in the Exifs?

Thanks in advance!

Depends on the type of R to L adapter. The adapter needs to have the equivalent ROM contacts e.g., see photos 4, 5, & 6 in which the contacts are visible :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leica-R-adapter-L-16076-for-SL-camera-and-Rom-R-lens-076-/192734454907?norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-153696-560033-8&mkcid=2&keyword=&crlp=355246904595_&MT_ID=&geo_id=&rlsatarget=dsa-764521878456&adpos=&device=c&mktype=&loc=9046317&poi=&abcId=&cmpgn=2033188068&sitelnk=&adgroupid=71572595973&network=g&matchtype=b&gclid=CjwKCAjw3MSHBhB3EiwAxcaEu-Zb_wg55ASlOuH5iy955DPWSTwQBHDoxG68irzBHa8AGeRwqC-LahoCdOAQAvD_BwE

There are other 'non-Leica' R to L adapters with no electronic contacts which although compatible with ROM lenses, will not transmit the lens' focal length and aperture.

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

vor 41 Minuten schrieb dkCambridgeshire:

Depends on the type of R to L adapter. The adapter needs to have the equivalent ROM contacts e.g., see photos 4, 5, & 6 in which the contacts are visible :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leica-R-adapter-L-16076-for-SL-camera-and-Rom-R-lens-076-/192734454907?norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-153696-560033-8&mkcid=2&keyword=&crlp=355246904595_&MT_ID=&geo_id=&rlsatarget=dsa-764521878456&adpos=&device=c&mktype=&loc=9046317&poi=&abcId=&cmpgn=2033188068&sitelnk=&adgroupid=71572595973&network=g&matchtype=b&gclid=CjwKCAjw3MSHBhB3EiwAxcaEu-Zb_wg55ASlOuH5iy955DPWSTwQBHDoxG68irzBHa8AGeRwqC-LahoCdOAQAvD_BwE

There are other 'non-Leica' R to L adapters with no electronic contacts which although compatible with ROM lenses, will not transmit the lens' focal length and aperture.

Thank you, I'm aware of what you're saying.
In my message #23 I specify my question for a Zoom equipped with ROM.
I would like to know if in the case of a Leica R-L adapter and a Leica R-Zoom (equipped with ROM) the aperture will be shown in the Exifs?

3 minutes ago, Krycek said:

Thank you, I'm aware of what you're saying.
In my message #23 I specify my question for a Zoom equipped with ROM.
I would like to know if in the case of a Leica R-L adapter and a Leica R-Zoom (equipped with ROM) the aperture will be shown in the Exifs?

A Leica R to Leica L adapter is not necessarily manufactured by Leica. 

7 hours ago, rcusick said:

Aperture as well.  Note.  I have the Leica adapter with rom lens. 

The exact aperture as set on the lens is not transmitted, only the estimated aperture made by the camera body.

This estimate is made for non electronic lenses via readings from the little window on the RHS front of the body.

Sometimes this estimate aligns with the actual aperture set on the lens. Sometimes not.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, AZN said:

The exact aperture as set on the lens is not transmitted, only the estimated aperture made by the camera body.

This estimate is made for non electronic lenses via readings from the little window on the RHS front of the body.

Sometimes this estimate aligns with the actual aperture set on the lens. Sometimes not.

BTW see this recent thread:

• Thanks 2