LEITZ PHONE 1 – Leica Smartphone with 1" Sensor

LUF Admin

Didn't anybody notice that it has a 1" sensor? That is the same size as the Digilux2. If Leica managed  to get that little lens to a good level, we are looking at a pretty serious camera here.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TonyPolson said:

I guess it is called Leitz to avoid clashing with previous agreements between Leica and Huawei of China.

I cannot imagine that relationship will survive the coming years as Huawei is criticized, even banned, by large parts of the Western world. 

• Like 1

The biggest question in my mind is who is the target market for this device?  To me it would seem to be Leica groupies who think that every snap should be frame-worthy. But maybe some serious artists and professionals will be attracted as well, assuming that the IQ lives up to the hype. Still, if the vast majority of pics will be posted to Instagram, who really needs a Leica lens and a 1-inch sensor?

The Sharp Aquos 6 comes with a Leica 19mm equivalent Summicron lens and a 1" sensor from Sony.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/6700690282/sharp-aquos-r6-smartphone-puts-a-22mp-1-inch-sensor-behind-leica-branded-summicron-lens

Not really many conclusions to be drawn here...

Looks like it will take pretty decent photos and would be good in a pinch when you don't have a real camera with you.  Have to wonder about the functionality of making calls, texts, emails, and web browsing, things you use a cell phone for 99% of the time.  

6 hours ago, andybarton said:

The Sharp Aquos 6 comes with a Leica 19mm equivalent Summicron lens and a 1" sensor from Sony.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/6700690282/sharp-aquos-r6-smartphone-puts-a-22mp-1-inch-sensor-behind-leica-branded-summicron-lens

Not really many conclusions to be drawn here...

Yes but the Leica lens will be made in Germany whereas the Sharp lens is just badged Leica, and won't have the same coatings, and won't be made as well and blah blah blah

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Camaro5 said:

Looks like it will take pretty decent photos and would be good in a pinch when you don't have a real camera with you.  Have to wonder about the functionality of making calls, texts, emails, and web browsing, things you use a cell phone for 99% of the time.  

I can see some folk buying one of these just for the photo taking bit and not bothering with the phone and the weather forecast etc.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!