LEITZ PHONE 1 – Leica Smartphone with 1" Sensor

LUF Admin

5 hours ago, frame-it said:

as far as i know it is NOT a Korean company, on the contrary 66% is owned by the Taiwanese Company Foxconn [that makes the iphones etc]

Can you please post a link to where it says Sharp is a Korean Company?

It is North-Korean. I was informed by reliable sources that Mr Kim Jong-un is personally supervising the production process.

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Robert Blanko said:

OMG, no rangefinder... I‘m out.

Please wait for the MD version that will have the rangerfinder, the FOTOS app will wifi images to your real phone. 

Edited by jaeger
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, ianman said:

My M4-P has one.

Just like my one. I reckon that the phone is being trialled in Japan which is a known early adopter market. Interest from other markets will be monitored. The folks on this Forum may not wholly fit the profile which Leica is chasing. This model will have to be provided through the telco chains just as the Huawei models were/are if the adoption rate is go above a trickle. Most phones are sold today through the 'eligible for an upgrade' ploy used by operators. Phones don't really fit into the luxury goods market segment because the turnover in new models is so great and they have become disposable items. The real beneficiaries are of course Facebook/ WhatsApp/Instagram, Google, Apple etc, etc.

It will be interesting to watch how Leica tries to find a niche for this item.

William

• Like 2

21 hours ago, luigi bertolotti said:

Curios that is named LEITZ... maybe it's sold in Japan only for questions related to the usage of Leitz name...

I think it will be costly a lot... apart brand value, the body, from the description, is a special one...

Indicates that Lrica does not regard it. primarily as a camera, I guess. 

36 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Indicates that Lrica does not regard it. primarily as a camera, I guess. 

There could be other licensing or copyright issues. Worldwide, I would suspect that well over 90 % of photographs are now taken with smartphone cameras, so how Leica regards such devices is irrelevant to the actual situation. King Canute and all that. Most people now say “ I’ll get my phone” when they want to take a photograph. The photos often go straight into social media. Where traditional camera photos don’t make the cut in the minds of many people is the downloading and processing palaver. Leica is right to dip into this market, but it is not really a luxury goods market. It is a disposable electronic goods market. As I said above, people on this forum would not be typical of the market which is being addressed with this new phone, which is also a camera, of course. 

William 

17 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Remember Vertu phones? https://en.vertuonline.com As the telecoms regulator in Qatar, an obvious market for such items, I had to deal with the issue of counterfeit Vertu phones, believe it or not. The Leitz phone is not a gold plated or jewelled monstrosity and, as such , it is part of the general market for smartphones which is a disposable electronic goods market. Perhaps Leica/Leitz is planning 'special editions' in the future. I don't know why I am arguing this issue with you as I have not the remotest interest in fancy phones and I'd be surprised if you do either.

William 

Edited by willeica

13 hours ago, earleygallery said:

I would be very reluctant to move away from an iphone

The only reason I would ever move away from an iPhone is to avoid the Apple tax. Some of the other top smartphones on the market are much better value.

But jumping from Apple tax to Leica tax doesn't appeal.

I'll wait for the Panasonic version 😅

• Like 1

9 hours ago, frame-it said:

its for sale IN Japan, and there is support IN Japan

Yep. I knew it. 

Sharp has no support for this camera, sorry, phone outside from Japan. Leica has no service in G7 country where I'm.

Who is going to buy mobile phone which has no local support? If who is not in Japan. 

Edited by Ko.Fe.
  • Like 1

Wonder if / when it may appear in the UK?

My old Sony android will need replacing soon.

I very nearly upgraded to a Huawei but held off when things went pear shaped with Huawei products  

John

On 7/16/2021 at 9:45 AM, LocalHero1953 said:

Interesting!

• the partnership with Sharp.
  • any news on price?
  • will it come to other countries eventually?
  • lens design and FL? A typical 28mm full frame equivalent would be 10mm for a 1 inch sensor. The optical design to fit that on a slim body, and focus closer than infinity would be interesting in itself.
  • I didn't know Leica had a design studio in Munich
  • What flavour of android will it have? Basic or custom version? Smartphones with limited sales and custom software make me nervous about updates.

I am always looking for the perfect pocketable camera. I've tried the Ricoh GR and Leica TL2, but keep coming back to the smartphone. The trouble is, most smartphones, even those that produce raw files, over process the image (including the Huawei phones that have Leica's input), making raw little better than JPG. A large sensor and Leica optics and colour science may help. 

I guess it is called Leitz to avoid clashing with previous agreements between Leica and Huawei of China.

• Like 2