LEITZ PHONE 1 – Leica Smartphone with 1" Sensor

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, errebe said:

🤔… looks like a big, heavy brick in your pocket… I’d rather take a true camera and a true, small and slim phone with me… the partnership should be with Apple…

I don’t agree. Sharp has produced some of the best electronics in the world.

Any news about potential software updates? For how long will the software be supported? What about security updates? Android and third parties historically never had more than 2 years of updates support average.

Any news about selling personal data to third party companies? According to many independent reports, Android is a sinkhole and the worst in terms of privacy, and I expect this phone to be the same for obvious reasons.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TonyPolson said:

A camera(phone) is only as good as its sensor. A one inch sensor with 20.2 MP can only come from Sony..

Yes, but the sensor is not the only factor. What Leica does with the signals from the sensor makes a big difference AFAIC. The SL2-S is one example.

• Like 1

My school football coach always told us to play to our strengths.... consequently I reverted to playing rugby instead. A game my school was particularly strong at.

I'd probably argue Leica should stick to its strengths too. In the smartphone field there is the 800 Kg gorilla in the room - namely Apple - that has been in this marketplace for over 10 years, and a fractured landscape of competing Android phones sporting various, but uneven versions of the software.

It's a minefield of a market for a new entrant and I know I wouldn't want Leica's impeccable brand name to be sullied with the above mentioned fractured Android market, whether it's Sony's version of Android or Samsung's, or Huawei's, etc. The hardware specs are only part of the equation with phones, so much relies on software with regular and prompt updates, and it's interaction with the device.

• Like 4

It's not about the hardware.....It's all about the software. Will it be easy for an old person

like me to adapt to software that is not IOS?  Will it work easily with my Apple

computers?  Maybe, Canon or Nikon should think about putting iPhone tech into one

of their small cameras.  

Ciao,  Sully

1 hour ago, anrando said:

Sharp is now a Korean company so I doubt any part of it is made here in Japan.

as far as i know it is NOT a Korean company, on the contrary 66% is owned by the Taiwanese Company Foxconn [that makes the iphones etc]

Can you please post a link to where it says Sharp is a Korean Company?

3 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Yes, odd. But it has the Leica red dot and name on the body.

I have a few red dots with Leitz on them. This one says Leica, but back in the day Leica cameras and lenses, in keeping with the the origins of the name, were Leitz products and were marked as such. Given that mainly only old collector folk like myself remember Leitz I expect that this will be known as 'The Leica Phone'. Although, when I went into the graveyard in Wetzlar in 2018 looking for the grave of Oskar Barnack some local people that I asked for directions had never heard of him, but they knew where the Leitz family grave was. Make of that what you wish.

William 

• Like 1

This has to be an elaborate April Fools (or similar).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Haha 1