Advertisement (gone after registration)

My new (last week) MP came with a leather strap. My M6 body uses an older nylon version. I don't mind the leather one, but it's a bit stiff. Does anyone know if this will "break in" and soften over time? I prefer the floppy nylon one, tbh, but maybe I just need to be patient.

Thanks.

I used the leather strap on M-A for a while to see that it was not comfortable.

The protection bits are always "in the wrong position", mainly at right.

I then swapped for one of my beloved nylon strap to see that those are much more comfortable in use.

Finally I use wrist straps in most case plus Leicavit or Motor-M.

Thanks. I think you're right that the leather strap seems "in the way" quite often. I haven't figured out a comfortable way to hold the camera. I barely notice the nylon strap. I think I'll find another nylon strap for the MP.

Hi the Leica leather strap which came with my M10M (purchased August/20) started to split and would have probably snapped very shortly after. However I do either have a 400g or 700g lens on the camera 95% of the time but had no problem with comfort.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought a couple of the Leica leather straps.  They're ok but I didn't love them.  I'm now using the leather straps from Hawkesmill England and love them.  They are super soft right out of the box, and look (and smell!) great.  I've got a wrist strap on my M4 and a neck strap on my M-A (I bought an extra neck strap, um, just in case I ever buy another Leica body 😏). I have no affiliation with the company, just a happy customer.

I had to go and find my M10 because I couldn't remember what strap it had on, and yes it's the standard leather strap so it must have loosened up enough I don't notice it anymore. I do recall a couple of evenings watching TV screwing the strap up into a ball which helped, but I think regular use has really softened it.

@jackbaty I'm using the original leather strap you showed above since April 2018 with my M10. It has softened somewhat, maybe not sufficiently but noticeably. It holds up very well without any sign of damage or similar wear. I have to agree with you that the strap is sometimes to stiff and somehow "in your way" and I'm also considering a wrist strap, especially since I'm using almost always now the Billingham 72 and all that strap is creating a bulky something on top.

Posted (edited)

For me, it depends on the specific strap. I left the thin leather strap on my M10, as it’s now rather supple, but replaced the bulkier, less flexible, leather strap on my M10 Monochrom with the old nylon Leica strap.  For the M10M, I placed some protective round leather ‘donuts’ around the lugs, as the newer body lacks the plastic pieces above the lugs, which were attached to prior models for scratch protection.  I bought extra nylon straps at one time to ensure I always have the option.  They are great, provided one is careful to ensure that the plastic locking tab is fully secure, although attaching the strap in correct orientation took some time for me to learn to do quickly.

On my SL2, which I use in part with big native zooms, I’ve replaced the Leica strap with the far more flexible and easily removable Peak Design Leash. 

So, for me it really depends on the specific circumstances and objectives.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

I've used a variwty of straps over the years on my cameras. Leather has a tendancy over long periods of time to crack and break, and nobody wants that to happen to their Leica. Nylon always seemed so plasticy/chincy. Finally I knew different bodies needed different straps depending on the season and whether wearing the camera over heavy or light clothes, tucked away in a bag or worn., shoulder or bandoleer style, or even on the belt. I decided that old leather straps were too frail and went to a leather supply store, purchased nice supple leather with a distinct grain, and made my own straps...which I've modified as circunstances demanded, both length and method of fastening to the camera bodies. There is no good universal system for me, but I've found an acceptable solution for a readily attachable/detachable strap, even if it rubs the lugs. I use wire fishing snaps, which although thin are quite tough, quick to attach or detach, and I can have straps with or without shoulder grips. I also learned a new skill in leatherworking as a side benefit.

Thanks for all the feedback here. I think I'll try keeping the leather strap on the MP for a bit and see how it wears. If I change my mind, it's like a 3-minute inconvenience to swap straps, so no big deal, really. Now I'm on to deciding about whether or not to use the case I have :).

I’ve got an original Leica leather strap on my M9M and agree that it is very stiff right out of the box. I addressed this by rubbing coconut oil on it and letting the oil sit for about 30 mins before wiping it clean. That helped ENORMOUSLY. That was back in 2015 when I first got my M9M. Since then, the strap has continued to soften over the years. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2021 at 10:12 AM, jackbaty said:

Thanks for all the feedback here. I think I'll try keeping the leather strap on the MP for a bit and see how it wears. If I change my mind, it's like a 3-minute inconvenience to swap straps, so no big deal, really. Now I'm on to deciding about whether or not to use the case I have :).

It's like breaking in a new baseball glove. Alex Rodriguez said he tossed a new glove in the swimming pool and let it set there for a day or two before he started breaking it in. I wouldn't try that with the MP.

I've tried too many other straps of varying makes, materials and sizes but always come back to the nylon one with the sealed on grippy shoulder pad. A couple of years ago I bought a job lot of 9 used ones for less than 50 bucks, now all my M's of differing flavours wear them and I've a drawer of new Leica leather straps laying unused. After reading Jeff S's post #11, I had a local  cordonnière, ( cobbler ), punch out a number of black leather "donuts" to protect the camera bodies and that works fine.....Thanks Jeff!

On 7/15/2021 at 8:44 PM, jackbaty said:

Thanks. I think you're right that the leather strap seems "in the way" quite often. I haven't figured out a comfortable way to hold the camera. I barely notice the nylon strap. I think I'll find another nylon strap for the MP.

I use the same type of leather strap. It will loosen up. Give it some time. You will love it.

This may be off topic and I know they've been discussed on the site before, but I am a big fan of Gordy's camera straps. The thin leather strap breaks in quickly and in my opinion is the perfect width to stay pliable and carry the weight of an M camera and Summicron lens. The strap width may not appeal to everyone but for me its perfect.