From darkroom to Lightroom…

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am just started off in the digital camera world. Love my CL as much as my Canon F1. 
Then, in the darkroom, having spent a good half hour setting up the bathroom, I would think nothing of waving my hands or a bit of card under the light to alter the image I have taken.

Now, I feel guilty pressing a button and changing the image! I can so easily get rid of unwanted things in the image, I can even change the sky, weather etc.

Is it just me?  I have not been “processing “ much but feel I will have to rein in the temptation to go over the top. 

If you think you have processed too far, rein back a step or two so that your processing does not look obvious. Viewers should be drawn to your subject, not your treatment of the subject, except for rare occasions.

As you are new to digital processing, I suggest you search for video tuition online,  (Julieanne Kost is recommended), and embark on self-learning 'night-school'. You will soon discover new and exciting skills.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Harrydog said:

Now, I feel guilty pressing a button and changing the image!

Because you can doesn't mean you have to! The 'rules' for some competitions limit what you can manipulate, and you need to establish your own rules.

The good news is Lr is non-destructive. David gives good advice above.

Have fun!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harrydog said:

I have not been “processing “ much but feel I will have to rein in the temptation to go over the top. 

just press the "auto" button and move onto the next shot ;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, frame-it said:

just press the "auto" button and move onto the next shot ;)

That is the 'Point and shoot' approach, which works, to varying degrees, according to your needs. However, if you wish to learn more, please do as I suggest and learn about the possibilities with a disciplined workflow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harrydog said:

Now, I feel guilty

The best way to get rid of this is to overdo your postprocessing several times, more contrast, saturation, darker skies, etc. Often, the prints look even more exaggerated than on screen, so try that out too. In the end you’ll land on a comfortable place. See also the work of Lambda on this forum (in Street photography he’ll be found I guess), so you can learn that a certain kind of pp can also become your fingerprint. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, Harrydog said:

I am just started off in the digital camera world. Love my CL as much as my Canon F1. 
Then, in the darkroom, having spent a good half hour setting up the bathroom, I would think nothing of waving my hands or a bit of card under the light to alter the image I have taken.

Now, I feel guilty pressing a button and changing the image! I can so easily get rid of unwanted things in the image, I can even change the sky, weather etc.

Is it just me?  I have not been “processing “ much but feel I will have to rein in the temptation to go over the top. 

I had b/w darkrooms since the 80’s, and fully transitioned to digital in 2009.  The tools changed, but my goals (a great print of a worthy pic) and eyes did not.  Focus on the end result and you’ll be fine.  But I agree with the earlier suggestion to learn the tools well (via videos, books and/or workshops); the added convenience and flexibility of digital workflow is amazing, and continually improving with every new software (and hardware) iteration.  I don’t feel guilty; I feel relieved.

Jeff

• Like 2

On 7/15/2021 at 9:41 AM, Harrydog said:

I would think nothing of waving my hands or a bit of card under the light to alter the image I have taken.

I still do the same, but with my mouse and in Photoshop. I mostly use the things in Photoshop that remind me of the darkroom, and dodging and burning are the essentials. As for going over the top, just put the image aside for a few days and then look at it again with a fresh view, just because digital can be instant doesn't mean it has to be.

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 2