Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Having appropriate, high quality materials, like cotton for a shutter curtain is part of having high quality anything else.

And, that something is old & has been around for a long time does not necessarily mean that that something is inferior.

Yes the shutter curtains obviously have to be high quality also when the camera is high quality. When you put a bad quality shutter curtain into a Leica, it still would be a cheap bad quality  curtain in a really well build shutter.

As said before I never sated that cloth shutters are inferior or that I have a problem with older technology.. I just wanted to note that they aren't the reason that Leicas are quit and vibration free. Its the shutter mechanism itself. 

I

 

Edited by Kriehuber
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The title of this thread caught my eye, and "In the Wild" truly describes my titanium M6. I purchased it in DC in early 2012; a long story, but I found out the previous owner was an award-winning  photojournalist for Newsweek. I continued to travel with it and even though it's in severe "user" condition (titanium and "user" hardly ever being used in the same sentence) it continues to perform flawlessly. Since it had so many scuffs, scratches, and a few dents, I was never afraid to take it out an

Thanks for all the help with this thread, my camera arrived and I'm really happy with it !   Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

While I can't offer a comparison between two bodies, I can offer you a view of a titanium 35mm Summilux on a silver chrome M-A.  This is my favourite combination for travel.  Very small and convenient.   Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder a

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Kriehuber said:

Yes the shutter curtains obviously have to be high quality also when the camera is high quality. When you put a bad quality shutter curtain into a Leica, it still would be a cheap bad quality  curtain in a really well build shutter.

As said before I never sated that cloth shutters are inferior or that I have a problem with older technology.. I just wanted to note that they aren't the reason that Leicas are quit and vibration free. Its the shutter mechanism itself. 

I

 

Hello Kriehuber,

I would think that having a high quality material for shutter curtains would be an important part of having a "quiet and vibration free" shutter mechanism. It is not only modern, high technology that makes things work well. Sometimes older low technology works perfectly well.

Best Regards,

Michael

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello Kriehuber,

I would think that having a high quality material for shutter curtains would be an important part of having a "quiet and vibration free" shutter mechanism. It is not only modern, high technology that makes things work well. Sometimes older low technology works perfectly well.

Best Regards,

Michael

I now said multiple times I have no problem with older technology, it often it works better and more reliable then more modern stuff. I also never said that something not modern does not work well. As also said more than ones I did not want to discuss or prove anything. I just wanted to share that this is possible and has no influence on the quietness or vibration of the shutter. So I don't really get your messages and this discussion. There is really no point to it. 

That said a titanium shutter is by no means a "modern, high technology". The Cloth shutter in all Leica Ms and the Titanium shutter in the Nikon F / F2 are pretty much the same just the material is different and they both startet in the 50s. Nikon Fs work as well as Leica M3s today. 

Edited by Kriehuber
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Kriehuber said:

I now said multiple times I have no problem with older technology, it often it works better and more reliable then more modern stuff. I also never said that something not modern does not work well. As also said more than ones I did not want to discuss or prove anything. I just wanted to share that this is possible and has no influence on the quietness or vibration of the shutter. So I don't really get your messages and this discussion. There is really no point to it. 

That said a titanium shutter is by no means a "modern, high technology". The Cloth shutter in all Leica Ms and the Titanium shutter in the Nikon F / F2 are pretty much the same just the material is different and they both startet in the 50s. Nikon Fs work as well as Leica M3s today. 

Hello Kriehuber,

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Best Regards,

Michael

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...