Harman Technology announce price increase

Steve Ricoh

I have been prolific BW film shooter from 2012 to 2019. I switched to bulks from get go. With several of them per year plus some pre loaded cassettes.

In 2012 Kodak TMAX was very affordable in bulks. Under 50 USD per 100' bulk. Kentmere was 29, if not less USD. I switched to Ilford, because it was not purple devil Kodak with arch curving and twice fixing time. I was burning through Polypan F and tried Fomapan 400 (it was crappy film back then). I had expired ECN2 400' bulks next for nothing. It is great for BW (low grain).

I checked Kentmere few months ago. 49 USD. Ilford was 79 USD. I checked it at beginning of this week. Kentmere 100' for 70 USD and Ilford for 100+ USD.

Sorry to say this, but it is the agony. Folks are ditching film for all kind of reasons. I ditched it because I don't have extra two hours per day anymore.

Where is hipsta buzz, but all hipsta do is shot one roll and brag about it for weeks and months. Here and where. This is not film photography which will keep Ilford afloat. 

I don’t use a lot of film, probably taking 1/10 of what I was doing pre-Covid. Same for digital. Little incentive when travelling is curtailed for safety reasons.

One of the reasons I choose film alongside digital is the way the output differs (lover of grain - I should probably develop in a 50/50 mix of Rodinal and sand 😉)

When my fridge begins to empty I’ll look for the cheapest B&W film - colour is already too expensive. At the moment Fomapan looks favourite.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The cost of virtually every consumable of any kind increases periodically, it's nothing new.  We all know the reasons why this happens and there's no point in debating it, including film.

I'd rather spend money on film than on digital cameras and if cost comparison is the only criteria to consider for the point of this thread, it's clear to see why I do. 

I also happen to enjoy film photography more.

6 hours ago, Steve Ricoh said:

When my fridge begins to empty I’ll look for the cheapest B&W film - colour is already too expensive.

It depends what you go for. I recently got a 10-pack of Kodak Color Plus for €47 (roughly £40). Ok, it's not Portra but at about 1/3 of the price it's worth trying out and it's even cheaper than Kentmere.

I also got a 10-pack of Ilford PAN 400 for the same price... I'm going to be testing this one very soon. After I'll choose either this or HP5 and go for 30 meter bulk.

Last year I purchased a brick of Color Plus and brick of Fuji C200, effectively making the unit pricing similar to what you’ve quoted.

I didn’t intend this to turn into an affordability thread, I posted what I had read on Emulsive thinking others might be interested, that’s all - until Ko.Fe mentioned price rises for other stocks and I replied to him.

On 7/16/2021 at 12:31 PM, Danner said:

BTW, B&H still has the 50-pack of HP5+ 36-exp. in stock for US $ 269.99, which equals US $ 5.40 per roll.  Great price, and might be worth stocking the refrigerator.

Does Ilford still ship the 50-roll party packs? The last time I ordered 50 rolls of HP5+ from B&H, I got 5 shrink-wrapped packs of 10 rolls each, albeit at a discount. In any event, I note that B&H's 1-roll price has already shot up to $8.12.

3 hours ago, Chuck Albertson said:

Does Ilford still ship the 50-roll party packs? The last time I ordered 50 rolls of HP5+ from B&H, I got 5 shrink-wrapped packs of 10 rolls each, albeit at a discount. In any event, I note that B&H's 1-roll price has already shot up to $8.12.

I just received a 50-pack this week.  It was 50 1-roll boxes, held together in groups of 4 boxes with rubber bands.  $5.40/roll.  With the recent price increase, that'll go away soon, an opportunity I didn't want to miss.

No one has mentioned the price of CiniStill or other movie films, but if you are interested in them then take a look here https://www.frame24.co.uk/online-store/Kodak-35mm-Vision3-400ft-122m-250D-5207-p99568608.  I know it requires rolling it yourself and an additional step in processing but £214 inc VAT and delivery.  Using the normal assumption of 4ft for a roll of 36, that works out at a very reasonable £2.14 a roll.

• Like 1

Just realised, my maths is a little out here. A roll of 36 is closer to 5 foot than 4 but you would still get around 80 rolls, which would make it about £2.70 a roll. Still not bad. 

They also sell Double X (5222) it’s more expensive but it would still work out at about £3.15 a roll. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Doug A said:

A cautionary note: the commonly available bulk loaders work with 100 foot rolls, not 400 foot.

Unless the user has access to a darkroom and a means of spooling down to 100’ lengths, and light tight storing, it could be problematic. Frame 24 have accessories for storing the subdivided 400’ roll, however I wouldn’t fancy doing it in a dark bag 

On 7/19/2021 at 5:34 PM, ianman said:

It depends what you go for. I recently got a 10-pack of Kodak Color Plus for €47 (roughly £40). Ok, it's not Portra but at about 1/3 of the price it's worth trying out and it's even cheaper than Kentmere.

I also got a 10-pack of Ilford PAN 400 for the same price... I'm going to be testing this one very soon. After I'll choose either this or HP5 and go for 30 meter bulk.

I actually like Kodak Color Plus - and that's a good price! Can I ask you where did you get it?

20 minutes ago, jonnyboy said:

I actually like Kodak Color Plus - and that's a good price! Can I ask you where did you get it?

This place... they have a website but as I live in Belgium I like to visit their brick and mortar shop in Ypres and always spend too much on goodies. I'm not sure they will ship to the UK but it's looks like they have no stock of that particular film at the moment anyway.

https://www.retrocamera.be/en/35mm-film-color-negative-kodak/807-kodak-color-plus-200-135-36-10-pack-0086806031479.html

On 7/18/2021 at 8:53 PM, Ko.Fe. said:

I have been prolific BW film shooter from 2012 to 2019. I switched to bulks from get go. With several of them per year plus some pre loaded cassettes.

In 2012 Kodak TMAX was very affordable in bulks. Under 50 USD per 100' bulk. Kentmere was 29, if not less USD. I switched to Ilford, because it was not purple devil Kodak with arch curving and twice fixing time. I was burning through Polypan F and tried Fomapan 400 (it was crappy film back then). I had expired ECN2 400' bulks next for nothing. It is great for BW (low grain).

I checked Kentmere few months ago. 49 USD. Ilford was 79 USD. I checked it at beginning of this week. Kentmere 100' for 70 USD and Ilford for 100+ USD.

Sorry to say this, but it is the agony. Folks are ditching film for all kind of reasons. I ditched it because I don't have extra two hours per day anymore.

Where is hipsta buzz, but all hipsta do is shot one roll and brag about it for weeks and months. Here and where. This is not film photography which will keep Ilford afloat. 

I bought an M9 for 4700 dollars new, and a M10R is now 9000 dollars, so things have a way of creeping up in price...

I agree, it is frustrating. Just be glad you are not shooting 8x10 color, which is now around 15 dollars a sheet for the film alone...makes you pretty careful with your metering...