Images of M-Summicron 50mm Version IV - Tab Version - anything against using it on SL/SL2/SL2-2?

omega1848

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there,

I am trying to gather sample images of the M Summicron 50mm Version IV (the tab version) used on SL/ SL2 or SL2-S. How does it hold up? Of course I am aware that the recent M Summicron 50mm or even the M Summilux 50mm is "better" and more modern, but I am looking for the "Summicron" look (if there is any... 😉 ) but really "love" a tab on lenses as well, hence looking for the "in-between" versions of the M Summicron 50mm with the tab, even if quality might not be up to "todays" standard. But "how" good/ bad is it really?

Any help/ images/ samples highly appreciated!!

I know there is a general image thread with various lenses for each of the Leica SL body versions, but honestly it is very, very time consuming and exhausting to scroll thru hundred of pages to see how lens "A" is performing on body "B" - wouldn't it make more sense to have individual threads for different lenses (which contain different bodies) instead the other way around (as it is today)? Because the subset of Leica SL-Series bodies is obviously a lot less than lenses (M, R, SL, 3rd parties...).
For example I am also looking for "comparison" of the M Summicron 28mm versions (older) 11604 vs. the (recent) 11672 - to find "samples" - it is nearly impossible! Regardless if for an SL series body or M series body...
Any chance to change that? Or is the general consens "never change it - we did so from the beginning - and we don't wann change it - go to flickr if you want more..." 😉

few weeks ago I tested the fist Summicron-r 1963 and the new Summicron-SL 50 and to my surprise the rendering of bokeh was the same. the SL lens had more detail and resolution.

Personally I like faster lenses look. I use the Summilux-M and the Noctilux most of the time.

I have done a test of some 50's  but not the one you are looking for.

the results are:

Noctilux is a dream lens, it has artifacts all the way to f4, nice center sharpness and glow follow at 0.95.
The Summilux-M has a beautiful soft rendering wide open, the most snotty bokeh, and enough detail and sharpness wide open.

Sigma 45mm is sharper than most M lenses, but nothing special in rendering and slow AF some times.

Summicron-SL 50 is a wow lens, pull out detail everywhere and quite a jump on performance from any other lens in the lineup.

I never got the Summicron-m, I think I got enough in my list.

the voiglender-M it worth mentioning was great little lens, just little CA wide open. great sharpness at f1.5 and super light.

• Like 1

From a purely optics point of view the 50mm Summicron-M v4 (with tab) is identical to the latest non-APO 50mm Summicron-M with integrated hood.

I do have the the v4 with tab and the SL2-S but haven’t had a chance to test it. If/when I get around to it, I’ll let you know but I rarely ever shoot 50mm. In fact that’s the reason I went with the v4. It was because I prefer using a focusing tab and also I didn’t want to pay new(ish) prices on a v5 that seldom use.

• Like 1