Replacing the M screw covering RF adjustment with red (or black) dot Leica logo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A polarizing question, but a fair one.

If one wanted to replace the screw above the lens (on, say, M-P or M10R black paint) with the red (or black) dot logo sticker, is the hole as big as the original logo sticker? Is the screw flat so one could just put the sticker over it? I found no topic of this sort but if it has been answered please do link to the thread.
Thank you for your civilized answers, please no dumb discussions of "why would anyone want to do that?" kind, it is an academic question.

• Al Brown changed the title to Replacing the M screw covering RF adjustment with red (or black) dot Leica logo
5 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

replace the screw

The 'hole' is a different size and I think the red dot plug sits on a machined face. I think if you search for some rangefinder adjustment videos you will probably get a look at the 'hole'.

No the screw isn't as big as the logo, nor is there the recess for it to sit in, so if you stick a logo on top it will protrude and look a bit odd.

You could return the camera to Leica and ask them to fit a regular top plate with logo, but that will be very expensive.

Consistent with the above, the screw on my M10 Monochrom is noticeably smaller in diameter than the red logo on my M10.  Dot sizes have varied with different M models, but I doubt any are as small as the M10M screw.

Jeff

You can buy Bindi stickers in most Indian stores or even online. Comes in all the colors of the rainbow. Use one for each day of the week.

I occasionally use it on my M10-P. Green, Yellow and Purple are interesting.

https://www.amazon.com/Assorted-Indian-Forehead-Tattoo-Sticker/dp/B01C32L8ZI/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=multicolor+bindi+sticker&qid=1626185667&sr=8-2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There are only two "dot" sizes from Leica. The larger one for the M240 series and the original one for the M6, M8, M9 and M10

As pointed out by Pedaes above, they are larger than the screw on the P, and will sit proud of the front of the top cover and may look a little odd.

I was watching a YouTube review of the M10 the other day and the host did something a little different with covering the red dot. He felt that as a wedding shooter, the red dot distracted his subjects. OK, I can see that point. But instead of the random piece of tape, he cut a rectangle of tape slightly smaller than the viewfinder window and placed it neatly over the dot. It resembled the look of the old frame line illuminating window. It looked very subtle and cool! It looked like something Leica would have done.

Why would you want to do that? 😏

The screw is actually better (IMO) because it provides easy access to the vertical rangefinder adjustment on the M10. All you need is a plastic "spudger" to loosen/remove the screw and a 2mm allen wrench to tweak the mechanism.

14 hours ago, duoenboge said:

I own the M10-R. I would be very happy with a screw and not the dot. Leica said to change it costs 700€.  🤪

Did Leica mean they'd replace the M10-R top plate with an M10-P top without the logo for €700?  I didn't know they did such customization.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Just a little heads up on the matter, even the smaller Leica red dot covers the M10R BP screw (which is flat) completely.

The end result looks satisfactory (of course just for dot fans).

Edited by Al Brown