Looking for a small travel bag for a M10, preferably available from Amazon, with B&H being second choice.

MikeMyers

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just now, pippy said:

It would help us all a geat deal if you could define what you consider to be "SMALL".

LxWxD.

Thanks!

Philip.

I thought I did - big enough to hold my M10, base plate down, a small lens attached, and maybe just enough more room for another lens.  Small, but with protective padding, and I'm a sucker for real leather.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeMyers said:

Yes, Amazon.  It's a safe way to try things I'm not sure I'm going to like, as I can just send it back if it's not what I hoped it would be.  Shipping is "free", and most of the time things are delivered in a couple of days, possibly the next day.  Mr. Bezos and B&H both sell at a discount, and I prefer to support B&H whenever possible.  My favorite way is to go to B&H once a year, and pick things out in person.  As to doing my research, isn't that what the internet is for?  As for buying direct, that is usually a LOT more expensive.  I bought my M10 from B&H, after a lot of internal debate - but this was before the virus hit.  

There was a theory, called the long tail, which meant that the internet would bring diversity and business to small, niche and obscure service and goods providers; and to an extent it does.  But, suppliers like Amazon do not - they’re like orange cheese.

6 hours ago, MikeMyers said:

The most tempting one posted here so far is the "Billingham Stowaway Pola Shoulder Bag - Black Canvas/Black Leather 500701-01".

I need to do some more searching, to find out the inside size.  '

https://billingham.co.uk/products/pola-stowaway

Scroll down to tech specs.

If you read reviews at various retail sites, you will see how other Leica M owners fill theirs.

I don’t own one, instead using an old Fogg Lyre in black canvas, which is similar.  But the new Foggs are far more expensive these days and have grown larger. I’ve had great success more recently with other black Billinghams, but typically in their lighter but still rugged Fibernyte material, which I think is a Stowaway option. 

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Jeff S said:

https://billingham.co.uk/products/pola-stowaway

Scroll down to tech specs.

If you read reviews at various retail sites, you will see how other Leica M owners fill theirs.

I don’t own one, instead using an old Fogg Lyre in black canvas, which is similar.  But the new Foggs are far more expensive these days and have grown larger. I’ve had great success more recently with other black Billinghams, but typically in their lighter but still rugged Fibernyte material, which I think is a Stowaway option. 

Jeff

I did as you suggested, and also checked it out on the Amazon page.  It might be a perfect answer, but then I found this image, which makes me wonder if an M10 with either 35 or 50 would fit in the bag.  I tried to find the re views you mentioned, but I didn't see any that referred to an M10.

I'm sure it would work fine for my Fuji X100, but I already have a belt pouch for that camera, made by "National Geographic".  My Leica won't fit.  Thanks though - tomorrow I need to check if they make a slightly larger version of this case - I never heard of Billingham before, but I like what I see.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

4 hours ago, earleygallery said:

Bag threads really should be banned from the forum, as with politics and religion. Same problem, it's all way too personal.

I respectfully disagree - thanks to this discussion I have far more choices now than before I posted the question.  There are no "winners" or "losers", just lots of options that I can select from.  Nobody is "fighting" here, just expressing their opinions.  

• Like 1

Well, with what I've learned so far, I did some more searching and found this:

https://www.amazon.com/Billingham-Digital-Hadley-Camera-Khaki/dp/B001JQLGFM/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=Billingham+cases&qid=1626230750&sr=8-4

It's larger than what I was looking for, but it should hold my M10 with lens, and one more lens.

Thank you to all the people who referenced "Billingham".

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MikeMyers said:

I did as you suggested, and also checked it out on the Amazon page.  It might be a perfect answer, but then I found this image, which makes me wonder if an M10 with either 35 or 50 would fit in the bag.  I tried to find the re views you mentioned, but I didn't see any that referred to an M10.

I'm sure it would work fine for my Fuji X100, but I already have a belt pouch for that camera, made by "National Geographic".  My Leica won't fit.  Thanks though - tomorrow I need to check if they make a slightly larger version of this case - I never heard of Billingham before, but I like what I see.

Mike.

Billingham are a major player in the bag industry.  Available worldwide.

Here is a link to their camera bag catalogue.  All the dimensions are there.   

https://billingham.co.uk/collections/camera-bags

You shouldnt need to hunt in different parts of the internet to get data on their ranges.  If you choose a model, then search for all the stockists.  

Personally, I've never wanted one. I don't follow the crowd.  I use a small bag from Peak Design, and I have a 5litre model which takes my M10 with fitted lens, + second lens + Ipad . My spec for a bag are that it should be featherlight, compact, waterproof and have no loose external pockets which I consider useless. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MikeMyers said:

More Billingham small bag comparisons, with pics…

https://findingrange.com/2017/11/17/billingham-72-vs-4-other-billingham-bags/

There are of course other good brands and options, all subject to personal needs and tastes.  Tons of threads here, among the most frequently posted.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

45 minutes ago, MikeMyers said:

https://www.amazon.com/Billingham-Digital-Hadley-Camera-Khaki/dp/B001JQLGFM/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=Billingham+cases&qid=1626230750&sr=8-4

It's larger than what I was looking for, but it should hold my M10 with lens, and one more lens.

That's the one I mentioned above, only they made a Leica branded one. It's perfect for one camera and a couple of lenses or two cameras each with a lens.  I had my name and telephone number embroidered on the top flap just in case someone found it and was honest enough to contact me.  Maybe in Japan that might happen...

1 hour ago, MikeMyers said:

I never heard of Billingham before

Seriously? How did you manage this after 12 years in this forum?Just kidding, of course. Buy with confidence, superb products! If a product is popular for a good reason, there is no harm in following the crowds. I just spent the last week on a snorkeling holiday. My Billingham S2 kept my Leica CL safe and dry despite the occasional shower from high waves during boat transfers.

OP,

If you are not sure if you are the camera bag type perhaps small, lightweight and reasonable $$'s is a good place to start with your M10 outfit.  Pippy mentioned the definition of "small" and that is a good thing to decide.  

Leica Miami is a good store and not far from you.  I recommend making your selection in person and experiment a bit...hard to do that "online".

I have the  Artisan & Artist* ACAM 1100 Canvas Camera Bag.   ($249) which is well made in Japan with good materials, compartment adjustability and protection.  I have taken mine all over with M10, 21mm SEM, 50mm Summicron, 90mm M-E, Batteries, pen/paper, 21 Finder, cable release, occasional passport / ticket copies.  Can be equipped with shoulder or hand-carry straps.  

https://leicastoremiami.com/collections/bags-and-cases-shoulder-bags/products/artisan-artist-acam-1100-canvas-camera-bag?variant=345674739

Good luck with your choice.

• Materials: #10 Canvas, ballistic nylon.   Also available in black leather.

Size: 
    (outer) 250mm long x 160mm tall x 140 mm wide 
    (inner) 240mm long x 150mm tall x 65mm wide

Weight: 560g.   Color: Black

Edited by m410

9 hours ago, MikeMyers said:

Thanks for the information on Billingham - this might be just what I need:

https://billingham.co.uk/collections/camera-bags/products/72

Anybody have one?  Would a M10 with 35 or 50 lens attached fit?

This will allow you to carry a Leica M10 with a 50 Summilux. Nothing longer. And the side pocket will only fit a battery. It's compact, but if you need to carry something else e.g. second lens, a flash, or a small table tripod, or even your passport/ticket, you will need something bigger. Frankly for a camera and one lens, why would you need a bag?

The Billingham Hadley Small here would be a better choice, I think. It's more useful.

Best would be for you to visit a store and check out offerings. There are a gazillion camera bag choices, plus you can make you own with any bag and a padded insert.

Edited by rramesh

13 hours ago, MikeMyers said:

The most tempting one posted here so far is the "Billingham Stowaway Pola Shoulder Bag - Black Canvas/Black Leather 500701-01".

Imo its difficult to agree to that item as the zipper will most likely get into contact with the camera and the likely hood of water penetration will depend on the durability of the zipper

Edited by cboy

4 hours ago, MikeMyers said:

I have this one (and the Hadley Pro and Hadley Pro Small). This small shoulder bag is great for day trips out with an M and one lens, very quick to get your camera out when required., otherwise with a modest sized lens hardly notice I am carrying it. Take it on hikes just in case the opportunity arises.

vor 6 Stunden schrieb MikeMyers:

The Billingham 72 would even be smaller, however it carries only the camera with one lens attached, I didn't manage to carry an extra lens:

(sorry for the quick&dirty iPhone picture)

Edited by Helge
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, MikeMyers said:

Lots of tempting, beautiful, and very functional choices, but many of them don't fit what I'm searching for: "I got to wondering what kind of small case I could get, to protect the camera while it's in my car, and to carry when I'm walking around outside with the camera."  

I need to do some more searching, to find out the inside size.  'Helge', what you wrote was very encouraging.  Does the M10 fit into your bag bottom-plate down, and with at least a 35mm Summilux attached, lens shade reversed?   I suspect this might be exactly what I'm looking for.  I need to do some more searching, to find out the inside dimensions.

Thanks!

(I went for a walk a few months ago, and thought I was going to be caught by a shower.  I put the camera inside my shirt, and found some place almost dry.  Once was enough - even if my M10 is water resistant, my old lenses almost certainly are not.)

Billingham Pola... i just add an old Lowepro Divider and velcro sticker to add a divider inside the bag.

This bag is surprisingly big.