Looking for a small travel bag for a M10, preferably available from Amazon, with B&H being second choice.

MikeMyers

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm going to be visiting my brother soon on a one-week visit.  Last time I took my Nikon Df with three lenses, and this time will be my M10, maybe only with my old 35mm Summilux.  I got to wondering what kind of small case I could get, to protect the camera while it's in my car, and to carry when I'm walking around outside with the camera.  Florida is getting so much rain lately, that I'm never sure I won't get soaked, and I don't feel like testing the ability of a small bag go fend off water.

My preference is something that could maybe hold the camera and perhaps my 90mm Summicron, even older than my 35.  Ideally it would be leather, as I like leather, it would have protective padding, it would be no larger than necessary, and if at all possible it would come from Amazon, so if I don't like it I can easily return it - not to mention free shipping.  As to color, I'd prefer something neutral, like dark brown.  It should have a neck strap too.

Anybody have any suggestions?  I'll also be traveling to NYC, Massachusetts, and Colorado.  If the bag is small enough, it would go inside my carry-on bag.  If it had a small pouch inside for a second battery, charger, and extra memory card, that would be a bonus, but my pants have lots of pockets.

The price is secondary, but looking dull and boring would be much better than anything flashy.

I have the small Leica bag by Billingham, but there are lots of options.  However, don't patronize Amazon.  It's an evil company that's destroying the country.  Predatory pricing that forces small businesses into bankruptcy.  Monopoly.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hmm, great choices, but I already have a leather bag I got from B&H similar to these.  I'm looking for something small, large enough for maybe the camera and a few odds and ends, possibly a second lens.  

I'll look these over some more later today, as I think several are awesome, but they're not what I was searching for.

I use the Billingham 72 while I walk the dog.

Really small, taking my M10 and one lens up to 50mm, maybe even 75mm.

Watertight, well padded and pretty robust and easy and quick access to the camera.

Basically an everyday bag.

Edited by Helge

Mike, I highly recommend this https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1375350-REG/tenba_638_425_special_edition_dna_8.html

It's a great brand. Incredible material, very functional, discreet, many hidden bags and zippers. Water repellent, compact rain cover, super light. I would say smart 😎

I never had the pleasure to have a Billingham, but I'm positive I will in the future. 

The Tenba bag essentials - 15 months ago. It feels like two years ago. Many changes happened since then in my workflow. I custom a lot my camera and lenses. Sold and bought lenses.

M evolution! Yes please!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Helge:

I use the Billingham 72 while I walk the dog.

Really small, taking my M10 and one lens up to 50mm, maybe even 75mm.

Watertight, well padded and pretty robust and easy and quick access to the camera.

Basically an everyday bag.

„Watertight“ was wrong, I meant rain safe

A bit left-field, perhaps, but I bought one of these (in dark brown) and couldn't be happier. I've three Billinghams and a few other things lying around but since this arrived it's all I ever use.

Natural leather (surprisingly heavy-weight) with end-flaps which help against rain ingress; small lock on the outside slip-clasp gives some (equally small) amount of casual anti-theft protection. Inside is a perfect width for an M stacked vertically across-ways and two adjustable dividers make for a 3-section interior. Zippered closure at the rear for cards / cash / phones etc. Shoulder strap can go remarkably long for cross-wise comfort if desired.

Not sure if 30cm (12") length is too long but if going away on a trip I'll regularly have two M cameras each with wide or standard lenses (hoods fitted) and two more lenses (75 & 90) in soft pouches double-stacked in the 3rd section. It's only 12cm (5") wide and 17cm (7") tall so all-in-all it's hardly a large bag.

It also looks very, very understated to the point of being Very Boring; not something which screams "$20k of Camera Gear Inside Now!!!".

Highly recommended;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MegaGear-MG1332-Genuine-Messenger-Mirrorless/dp/B076ZSG8Q4

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Lots of tempting, beautiful, and very functional choices, but many of them don't fit what I'm searching for: "I got to wondering what kind of small case I could get, to protect the camera while it's in my car, and to carry when I'm walking around outside with the camera."  

The most tempting one posted here so far is the "Billingham Stowaway Pola Shoulder Bag - Black Canvas/Black Leather 500701-01".

I need to do some more searching, to find out the inside size.  'Helge', what you wrote was very encouraging.  Does the M10 fit into your bag bottom-plate down, and with at least a 35mm Summilux attached, lens shade reversed?   I suspect this might be exactly what I'm looking for.  I need to do some more searching, to find out the inside dimensions.

Thanks!

(I went for a walk a few months ago, and thought I was going to be caught by a shower.  I put the camera inside my shirt, and found some place almost dry.  Once was enough - even if my M10 is water resistant, my old lenses almost certainly are not.)

Here is a bag that I use for one camera and 1-2 lenses.  It's a little off the beaten path of most camera bags: https://www.filson.com/bags-luggage/small-rugged-twill-field-bag.html#sku=11070230-fco-000971914

It has no built in padding so the way I address that is I took a gardener's kneeling pad from Lowe's (1" thick cushy rubber type pad) and cut a piece the size & shape of the bottom of the bag.  This protects from impact in the event that I drop the bag.  The material the bag is made of is very thick and durable so I don't worry about smaller bumps and bangs.  Added protection can come in the form of adding an XL Zing neoprene pouch to put your M10 into and then putting the camera and pouch in field bag.

The material the field bag is made of is water resistant but not 100% water proof.  It would keep your camera dry under most conditions, but if you were outside for hours on end in a downpour, rain might soak through the fabric.  If you want hurricane proof water resistance, this bag would do the job:  https://www.filson.com/hunting-fishing/bags/dry-sling-pack.html#sku=20115946-fco-000002141

If you are interested in a more conventional camera bag, take a look at the Wotancraft 7 liter Pilot:  https://www.wotancraft.tw/en/product/pilot-travel-camera-sling-bag-7L-khakibrownC

Another great choice would be any bag made by Billingham, such as the Hadley Digital or Hadley Small. 

Edited by Herr Barnack

https://oberwerth.com/en/collections/kamerataschen

Different sizes from small to huge (for me) so in the middle you should find your.

Seem expensive, but when you receive the bag and feel the leather, open/ close the closing, you forget it. 

I got a  "George" in which I carry a M with lens, but no spare room for a second lens if you put in wallet and sun glasses or home keys. Have a look at " Harry and Sally" specs for more space.

Side note, I would not take it for a trek where it could get scratched, but it should acccept rain with no problem as lined with leather and synthetic fabric .

• Like 1

I’m sorry, but Amazon?  Really?

Some craftsman comes up with a neat product, and Mr Bezos sells it at a discount.  Why don’t you do some research and buy direct - that way the person who did the work gets the money …

Just saying …

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Dennis said:

Mike, I highly recommend this https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1375350-REG/tenba_638_425_special_edition_dna_8.html

It's a great brand. Incredible material, very functional, discreet, many hidden bags and zippers. Water repellent, compact rain cover, super light. I would say smart 😎

I never had the pleasure to have a Billingham, but I'm positive I will in the future. 

The Tenba bag essentials - 15 months ago. It feels like two years ago. Many changes happened since then in my workflow. I custom a lot my camera and lenses. Sold and bought lenses.

M evolution! Yes please!

That looks like a nice bag, a good size for a camera and lens. 

I think as an alternative a Think Tank Retrospective could be a choice, and I know the OP said 'small' but think of all the things that make life comfortable that can also go in a camera bag, so think small then double it.

• Like 1

This OP already has a very nice leather camera bag which he bought at B&H a few years ago.  Perfect size for a camera with lens, and two extra lenses, and misc. stuff.  I can take a photo of it - the brass label seems to say "Jack by Jill-e designs".  They only had one of them, and I wasn't leaving without it.  I can't find it at B&H, but I think this is the same bag:

https://www.aztekcomputers.com/419552-JILLE+DESIGNS-1AZTEKX7VX5.html

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Actually, I like some of the ones that are posted in this thread much more.  For now though, I'm trying to find something SMALL, for when I don't want the camera hanging around my neck.

1 hour ago, IkarusJohn said:

I’m sorry, but Amazon?  Really?

Some craftsman comes up with a neat product, and Mr Bezos sells it at a discount.  Why don’t you do some research and buy direct - that way the person who did the work gets the money …

Just saying …

Yes, Amazon.  It's a safe way to try things I'm not sure I'm going to like, as I can just send it back if it's not what I hoped it would be.  Shipping is "free", and most of the time things are delivered in a couple of days, possibly the next day.  Mr. Bezos and B&H both sell at a discount, and I prefer to support B&H whenever possible.  My favorite way is to go to B&H once a year, and pick things out in person.  As to doing my research, isn't that what the internet is for?  As for buying direct, that is usually a LOT more expensive.  I bought my M10 from B&H, after a lot of internal debate - but this was before the virus hit.  

• Like 2