I feel so stupid, but what is this?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've owned my 240 for about 3 years and today I noticed something new.  In the bottom corner is a split box.  One side is red, the other is blue.  I am sure that it was not there before, so I must have done something in settings, but I cannot find out what.  It does not show up on the final photos.  But, what is it?

Thanks in advance.

Wayne 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

TOTC - if you push the info button during playback you will cycle through the different info options. The one you have cycled to shows areas which are above (red) or below (blue) your clipping limits (you can set these in the full menu). When I’m using my M240P I usually have this screen selected and will occasionally have a quick look to check there’s as little red as possible if the DR is very high as I find it more “glanceable” that reading the histogram (I don’t have to put my reading glasses on to see it)

Edited by NigelG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Remember that unlike film you can push the shadows with digital (the indicated blue areas) as there will be information lurking there. Pulling back the highlights from the overexposed (red indicated areas) is much more difficult and you might only have one colour channel to play with.

I tend to just focus on the red areas  - but only when I think they shouldn’t be “burned out”(and there’s enough dynamic range to play with).

• Like 1

@too old to care Glad you asked, I've seen this symbol occasionally and ignored it, perhaps the blinkies blinded me.   The clipping indicators are not completely accurate, often I find there is about 1/2-1 stop more exposure tolerance in the dng.   Recently, with a different body I attempted to see if 2 stops would be tolerated in post, they weren't.  1 stop was maximum.  

• Like 1