New lens, feels like old CL now digital

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There is a new lens from VL, the new Ultron 28/2.0, which is like having a 40-42mm Summicron. And it performs quite well. But step by step.

As usual with recent VL lenses build quality and haptics are great. You could choose between 3 styles, mine is the black one, but the lens as such is equal in all 3 versions. The lens is tiny, 39mm screw only, light, but you feel its weight or solid structures. Every ring is moving smart, that is a pleasure. Lens hood is recommended, I guess even more using the CL. Hoods look well, but are priced as Leica. One nice aspect: shortest distance 50cm.

On the CL the 2.0 lens is equal to 40-42 mm, so you have an equivalent to the good old 40mm from the old CL. I cannot compare the performance, years ago I had an analog CL, but it is sold. But I feel back in a kind of personal sweet spot, between 35 and 50mm. I love it, since I have the Ultron it is on my CL: for travel, family, landscape. The combo is small, I have it with me all the time, there are even smaller alternatives, but not with this image quality.

I am not a pixel peeper and I make only random tests upfront, use counts. The Ultron is no super wideangle, it is rather balanced and in terms of look closer to 35mm, I like that. The lens is sharp, it is really sharp over entire picture (at least on APS-C). Microcontrast is great, that helps a lot with landscape, nature etc.. One very nice aspect is the ability to seperate objects from background as you can focus very accurate between 0.5 and 2-3 meters. A nice play with sharpness and Bokeh. The Bokeh is smart, smooth and calm, no irritating structures, one may think boring. But for „fancy“ Bokeh I have other lenses. Colors: closer to the pop of Leica, close to that wonderful sky-blue of Leica, and well balanced. Colors seem quite realistic, close to what your eye sees. Does the lens have a special look? No, it is a well balanced lens with a lovely ability to separate close objects wide open.

I guess it becomes my new day-to-day work horse, providing sufficient room for creativity (close distance, wide open), but ensuring great results. A clear recommendation.

M-mount, adapter needed. Price 850€ plus lens hood 80-100€.

Any other Ultron users, any comments? Any further experiences? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Waiting on delivery of the lens, I have the 35 Ultron (same hood - some saving😀), like how it performs, weight/0.5/f/2 etc but haven't had a 28mm for my M for some time and look forward to using it on the CL too.   I'm expecting it to feel and give similar IQ to the 35 and from your words it sounds like it will.  I have 4 TL lenses and some Panasonic L mount but there's no doubt the CL is much more suited to these small manual focus lenses.  Hoping to see some images from yours please.

• Like 2

vor 35 Minuten schrieb FrozenInTime:

28mm is a great everyday lens on APS-C ; a 28mm Summicron is my favorite for the TL2.

The new Voigtlander looks good; the only complaint, amongst many superlatives, I've read of is field curvature across the sensor width on full frame cameras.

i read field curverture too and something about vignetting, but both were not visible on my CL. For me no issue.

• Like 1

vor 2 Minuten schrieb Boojay:

Waiting on delivery of the lens, I have the 35 Ultron (same hood - some saving😀), like how it performs, weight/0.5/f/2 etc but haven't had a 28mm for my M for some time and look forward to using it on the CL too.   I'm expecting it to feel and give similar IQ to the 35 and from your words it sounds like it will.  I have 4 TL lenses and some Panasonic L mount but there's no doubt the CL is much more suited to these small manual focus lenses.  Hoping to see some images from yours please.

correct, why having such a nice little CL when using these large lenses…

a German website, a relevant one, rated the new 35 Ultron above Leica in terms of performance.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PDP said:

There is a new lens from VL, the new Ultron 28/2.0, which is like having a 40-42mm Summicron. And it performs quite well. But step by step.

As usual with recent VL lenses build quality and haptics are great. You could choose between 3 styles, mine is the black one, but the lens as such is equal in all 3 versions. The lens is tiny, 39mm screw only, light, but you feel its weight or solid structures. Every ring is moving smart, that is a pleasure. Lens hood is recommended, I guess even more using the CL. Hoods look well, but are priced as Leica. One nice aspect: shortest distance 50cm.

On the CL the 2.0 lens is equal to 40-42 mm, so you have an equivalent to the good old 40mm from the old CL. I cannot compare the performance, years ago I had an analog CL, but it is sold. But I feel back in a kind of personal sweet spot, between 35 and 50mm. I love it, since I have the Ultron it is on my CL: for travel, family, landscape. The combo is small, I have it with me all the time, there are even smaller alternatives, but not with this image quality.

I am not a pixel peeper and I make only random tests upfront, use counts. The Ultron is no super wideangle, it is rather balanced and in terms of look closer to 35mm, I like that. The lens is sharp, it is really sharp over entire picture (at least on APS-C). Microcontrast is great, that helps a lot with landscape, nature etc.. One very nice aspect is the ability to seperate objects from background as you can focus very accurate between 0.5 and 2-3 meters. A nice play with sharpness and Bokeh. The Bokeh is smart, smooth and calm, no irritating structures, one may think boring. But for „fancy“ Bokeh I have other lenses. Colors: closer to the pop of Leica, close to that wonderful sky-blue of Leica, and well balanced. Colors seem quite realistic, close to what your eye sees. Does the lens have a special look? No, it is a well balanced lens with a lovely ability to separate close objects wide open.

I guess it becomes my new day-to-day work horse, providing sufficient room for creativity (close distance, wide open), but ensuring great results. A clear recommendation.

M-mount, adapter needed. Price 850€ plus lens hood 80-100€.

Any other Ultron users, any comments? Any further experiences? 

Interesting thank you. Did you notice any significant color fringing? Just curious as i would like a smaller 28/2 than my Summicron for the digital CL.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

Tried to wait until I could post impressions (especially after 6-bit "modding"), but the picture came out so great that I had to post it... this is probably the most gorgeous thing I own:

(The only thing that doesn't ooze quality here is the release button on the Leica M-L adapter... that felt surprisingly and sadly very, very cheap.)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, eobet said:

The only thing that doesn't ooze quality here is the release button on the Leica M-L adapter... that felt surprisingly and sadly very, very cheap.

Do you mean it is a plastic button? My one is metal apparently but i bought the black adapter... 

On 7/11/2021 at 7:05 PM, lct said:

Interesting thank you. Did you notice any significant color fringing? Just curious as i would like a smaller 28/2 than my Summicron for the digital CL.

On 7/11/2021 at 7:29 PM, PDP said:

nothing

On the CL's cropped sensor, I assume.  Any experience regarding color fringing performance on M bodies?

Edited by cpclee

Found a bit of color fringing at f/2 on CL, M240 and Sony A7r2 mod but could be worse. Comparison with Summicron 28/2 v2 on Sony here:

Summicron:

Ultron:

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, lct said:

Do you mean it is a plastic button? My one is metal apparently but i bought the black adapter... 

It is not plastic, it's just a rather loose fit that feels sloppy (and in my eyes it's rather ugly, "tradition/retro" notwithstanding). But it's just a small detail.

2 hours ago, eobet said:

It is not plastic, it's just a rather loose fit that feels sloppy (and in my eyes it's rather ugly, "tradition/retro" notwithstanding). But it's just a small detail.

Mine does not feel sloppy at all i must say. The button of the Leica R to M adapter is round by comparison but both look at least on par quality wise with my best Novoflex and Voigtlander adapters. FWIW.

Hmm. The Ultron 28mm looks a little bulky to me, but then I'm a little spoiled: 

Leica CL + MS Optics Aporia 24mm f/2

Leica CL + Color-Skopar 28mm f/3.5

Leica CL + 1972 Summilux 35mm f/1.4

:D

G

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 2

Edited by huwm

I must admit, I'm a bit surprised about the large amount of color fringing found in the raw file... though the camera itself corrects it in its jpeg and any modern software can also handle it, I almost think this is worse than my old camera that's in the photo (which is 100% crop)...

Plus, nobody has mentioned this yet but the display on the TL2 shows all of this fringing as red lines I think? And it's quite all over the place... (I haven't managed to pull of that 6-bit coding yet, though... although I'm unsure if that has any bearing on what I'm seeing.)

Edited by eobet

1 hour ago, eobet said:

I must admit, I'm a bit surprised about the large amount of color fringing found in the raw file... though the camera itself corrects it in its jpeg and any modern software can also handle it, I almost think this is worse than my old camera that's in the photo (which is 100% crop)...

Plus, nobody has mentioned this yet but the display on the TL2 shows all of this fringing as red lines I think? And it's quite all over the place... (I haven't managed to pull of that 6-bit coding yet, though... although I'm unsure if that has any bearing on what I'm seeing.)

A large amount of CA would be worse than that. As i suggested above the CV 28/2 has a bit of CA at f/2. The only 28/2 lens doing better is the Summicron AFAIK but it is more expensive needless to say.  

• Like 1