Sigma 150-600 dg dn f5-6.3 [merged]

Virob

• Virob changed the title to Sigma 150-600 dg dn f5-6.3
  • 2 weeks later...

Although I am primarily interested in a long prime in L-mount (say 500mm f4), the Sigma 150-600 is interesting if the bokeh on the longer end isn't too busy (for a subject at a distance of some meters to some tens of meters), and if it draws sharp at infinity. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, helged said:

Although I am primarily interested in a long prime in L-mount (say 500mm f4), the Sigma 150-600 is interesting if the bokeh on the longer end isn't too busy (for a subject at a distance of some meters to some tens of meters), and if it draws sharp at infinity. 

+1 exactly how I feel, a long prime would be more attractive to me. However I'm hoping to get my hands on a 150-600mm to try out as soon as possible after launch. If it performs according to expectations, it will replace the  Sigma 100-400mm L.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/2/2021 at 10:50 PM, helged said:

I shot with the Sigma 500 f4 for a couple of years on the Canon 1dxii. It is one heavy lens. The weight of it is ultimately why I sold it and eventually moved over to the SL2 + 90-280, which is why the 150-600 at 2.1kg's appeals. But it clearly won't have the bokeh of an f4 lens and I suspect nor will it be as sharp at 500mm. The AFC on the 500 f4 was also not great, so that's an area I hope Sigma have improved on with the new zoom. It will be very interesting to read the real-world reviews when they come. 

• Like 2

https://www.sigmaphoto.com/150-600mm-f5-63-dg-dn-os-s

"It can be used with SIGMA's 1.4x and 2x L-Mount teleconverters, with AF effective up to 1200mm."

"The lens has a Focus Limiter switch offering three-zone AF modification, which helps to speed up AF performance, and on the L-Mount it is possible to set a custom focusing limit via the SIGMA USB DOCK"

And a big plus for the many Arca Swiss plate users: "On the lens body there is a magnesium tripod socket attachable to an Arca Swiss type clamp."

Waiting for more images; those shown in the video above, starting from about 20:00, look promising! (but it should be Arctic, not Antarctic, in one of the image presentations... ;)).

Edited by helged
  • Like 3

......Waiting for more images; those shown in the video above, starting from about 20:00, look promising! .......

Thanks Helge. I agree the images in the Sigma video presentation you posted above do look good. From my specific field of interest, the wildlife images especially those of the Owls and Foxes look great!

FWIW here's a sort of review from DP Review.  To be honest, I've found that their sample images are often very disappointing (as in this case), more like a bunch of random snaps which don't really illustrate or tell us much about the lens' capabilities.

Hands-on with the Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS Sport

Edited by michali
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, michali said:

FWIW here's a sort of review from DP Review.  To be honest, I've found that their sample images often very disappointing (as in this case), more like a bunch of random snaps which don't really illustrate or tell us much about the lens' capabilities.

Hands-on with the Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS Sport

Additional comments/images: https://sonyalpha.blog/2021/08/04/sigma-150-600mm-f5-6-3-dg-dn-sports/

• Thanks 1

......Waiting for more images; those shown in the video above, starting from about 20:00, look promising! .......

Here's another review with an SL2 and some images, as long as you can ignore the rather sad looking Asian Elephant & other poor wretched animals in the Bronx Zoo - FFS 😡!!!

Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports Review 

• Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2021 at 2:45 AM, jaapv said:

What I have seen from this lens was enough to make me pre-order one and trade my 100-400 in today.

I have done the same thing - or rather I will put the 100-400 up for sale. The 1.4 extender I will keep.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, helged said:

The reviewer was very impressed by AF speed on L mount (Panasonic S5), including AF tracking.

"The 150-600mm acquires focus and locks on quickly when using a single focus point. The lens is also rapid when using continuous autofocus and tracking modes. I was able to track riders zooming around a motocross track, dogs running, and birds flying. If you’re a sports or wildlife photographer I can tell you that you’ll have no issues capturing the subjects that interest you."

Sounds like an excellent option for those who don't need the full sports-professional kit.

• Like 1

The lens is shipping in the UK.. got notification from LCE yesterday lunchtime that they were sending mine out, anticipated it's arrival after bank holiday weekend but courier dropped it off late this afternoon.  KUDOS to Sigma, first impressions from unpacking is build quality is right up there, the included case and straps, lens hood and cover etc, the feel of switches, very nice focus limiter, torque settings for zoom etc all very impressive and confidence building.  Just took a few shots of flowers and the odd garden bird to test AF response, on the SL2, very responsive and no slouch on the CL though a bit of a handful😃.    Looks a bit like it does on Sigma's promotion on their website where they show it mounted on the FpL. Looking forward to playing and testing.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Boojay said:

The lens is shipping in the UK.. got notification from LCE yesterday lunchtime that they were sending mine out, anticipated it's arrival after bank holiday weekend but courier dropped it off late this afternoon.  KUDOS to Sigma, first impressions from unpacking is build quality is right up there, the included case and straps, lens hood and cover etc, the feel of switches, very nice focus limiter, torque settings for zoom etc all very impressive and confidence building.  Just took a few shots of flowers and the odd garden bird to test AF response, on the SL2, very responsive and no slouch on the CL though a bit of a handful😃.    Looks a bit like it does on Sigma's promotion on their website where they show it mounted on the FpL. Looking forward to playing and testing.

Good news Jayne. Looking forward to seeing your images.  

Best

Mike

• Thanks 1

• jaapv changed the title to Sigma 150-600 dg dn f5-6.3 [merged]