Really? Leica CL in 2021?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, Chilternarts said:

So as I mentioned a few days ago, I went ahead with the purchase of the Leica CL and 35mm f1.4 lens. I'm open to the CL perhaps being a bridge between a full-frame Leica in some time. I got the whole set for £2800 brand new, so the time-value of enjoying the camera + any potential trade-in will be well worth it if that happens. 

So far I've taken the CL out everyday and greatly enjoy not having a swinging Nikon brick around my neck. I have only taken casual photos so far, but I'm definitely inspired to get creative with it and have been busy scouting out unique location spots for some upcoming shoots...

That's excellent news!  Welcome to the Leica family. 

Glad to hear you are so pleased with your CL and 35 Summilux.

• 1 month later...

Hi, just bought a CL, having admired it for a while.  Looking forward to putting it through its paces,  went out with it today for the first time, and enjoyed using it.  I will share images on the image thread in future, but attach my first.  Live in England on the south coast.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, PJ2 said:

Hi, just bought a CL, having admired it for a while.  Looking forward to putting it through its paces,  went out with it today for the first time, and enjoyed using it.  I will share images on the image thread in future, but attach my first.  Live in England on the south coast.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Beautiful. The Leica has captured the soft colours well. Looks like Deal, Kent. 

On 7/6/2021 at 5:49 PM, TMorita said:

Once upon a time there was a man who had a Toyota who was considering an upgrade to a Mercedes.

He posted on an Internet forum, "If I upgrade my Toyota to a Mercedes, how much will this reduce my daily commute time?"

The forum members told him, "Upgrading your car from a Toyota to a Mercedes will not change your daily commute time, because the commute time depends mostly on the driver's skill, and not the car used."

Though others have managed to ignore it, I'll address this, as you appear insistent on pushing false analogies. First, the analogy itself is poor and hardly parallel in any way. In traffic, you are constricted by uncontrollable circumstances (other cars, speed limits, etc.). Aspects which make a Toyota different from a Mercedes aren't even allowed into that particular equation. A Bugatti would arrive at the same time as a Yugo, for instance. In photography, you are capturing an image and representing it to the eyes at a later time. There are MANY factors which would make one image "better" than another, even outside of subjectivity; one camera being "better" than another when the goal is presented, as it has been. You will say, "but a photographer's skill is more important," and everyone here would agree, BUT, as the OP has already appropriately acknowledged, his skill level is his skill level, for any camera he picks up, so that component is out of the equation. And so, in this case, the focus (bad pun) is entirely on the camera itself, just as he made clear in his initial post. Sidestepping that relevant question and pointing out an obvious and irrelevant fact didn't offer assistance the first time, and no additional help when it was reframed for the second post above. If analogies are important to you, perhaps you could have stated, as would have been more appropriate, that it's like asking if a Toyota offers a better driving experience than a Mercedes for my family and myself. At least that would open the door to address factors which are (somewhat) parallel to photography, and beneficial to the OP.

38 minutes ago, wda said:

Welcome to the forum and Leica ownership, PJ2. Did you buy new? Which lens did you buy?

Used, silver with 28mm kit, and 23mm summicron.  Looking to slow down and simplify things.  I also own Olympus pen f - so I like the rangefinder - but too many buttons on it.  But will keep it for long exposures.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 minutes ago, elambo said:

Though others have managed to ignore it, I'll address this, as you appear insistent on pushing false analogies. First, the analogy itself is poor and hardly parallel in any way. In traffic, you are constricted by uncontrollable circumstances (other cars, speed limits, etc.). Aspects which make a Toyota different from a Mercedes aren't even allowed into that particular equation. A Bugatti would arrive at the same time as a Yugo, for instance. In photography, you are capturing an image and representing it to the eyes at a later time. There are MANY factors which would make one image "better" than another, even outside of subjectivity; one camera being "better" than another when the goal is presented, as it has been. You will say, "but a photographer's skill is more important," and everyone here would agree, BUT, as the OP has already appropriately acknowledged, his skill level is his skill level, for any camera he picks up, so that component is out of the equation. And so, in this case, the focus (bad pun) is entirely on the camera itself, just as he made clear in his initial post. Sidestepping that relevant question and pointing out an obvious and irrelevant fact didn't offer assistance the first time, and no additional help when it was reframed for the second post above. If analogies are important to you, perhaps you could have stated, as would have been more appropriate, that it's like asking if a Toyota offers a better driving experience than a Mercedes for my family and myself. At least that would open the door to address factors which are (somewhat) parallel to photography, and beneficial to the OP.

Well done and well said elambo. Through great willpower I managed to ignore TMoritas's unhelpful and irrelevant analogy, along with a variety of other unintelligent Posts, because I wanted to keep the discussion on point and keep the actual worthy comments coming in. 

To add to your point, the analogy was plain silly. A more correct analogy would have been "Will a Mercedes that drives 150mph get you to work faster than a 100mph Toyota? That depends, what is your drive to work like? Open highway roads at 5am without another car in sight? Then heck yes. Do you have the driving skills to drive at 150mph? If the answer to these questions are yes, then the answer to the analogy is, yes; upgrading to the faster car will get you to work faster. Either way the analogy is still dumb and irrelevant.

Also, do you notice that when I commented how I bought an old £70 film camera to help improve my photography skills (better framing, more thoughtful process etc) no one started tooting how the camera wouldn't make a difference to my skills or photo IQ quality :D