M-D 262 Shutter count

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 7/5/2021 at 8:30 PM, adan said:

At one point (through the M9) the hexadecimal "unique image ID" was a good guide to shutter actuations,  but these days that returns nonsense values such as

0x4FD04248AA05F620A1CB61 = 5751169604009719328 (5.7 quintillion) "exposures"

I just played with this for the first time since I got the camera!

I think maybe it went away on the last FW update...

when I use a DNG from before the FW update (which I only installed a few months back, it probably came out ages ago!)

I get

Image Unique ID                 : 00000000000000000000000000005f98

(somewhere around 24472 clicks according to a hexadecimal calc online - sounds about right it was iirc 5000ish when I got it in 2017)

Now post latest FW update the unique image id reads

Image Unique ID                 : 00000000000000000000000000006373

However, when I access the M9 service menu I can still see the shutter count which is listed at 25470

My take away from this is that there's 14months between the 2 sample files and only 998 shots, I should use my M9-P more 😁 (which is a bit hard when there's an M10 sitting there that I've not had for 2 months yet!)

• 1 year later...
On 7/6/2021 at 10:48 AM, a.noctilux said:

In the manual, the file number can be L101 xxxx etc......As I have not done more than 10 000 pics, I don't know if the M-D would go to L101 0001 after L100 9999 or no...

Maybe one M-D owner can simulate that, insert SD card with file num. L100 9999 just to see what happends after taking a pic.

Bringing back this thread from the grave.

I've just gone over the L1009999 threshold on the M-D and whilst the folder number - as mentioned here previously - on the memory card increased by 1 the individual file numbering reset to L1000001. I had forgotten the content of this thread and expected the file numbering to go to L1010001 but, clearly, I was mistaken.

Evidently I'm going to need to be very careful when backing up my files in regard the method I use as I now have "L100xxxx" DNG images stored from M8.2 / M9-P / M-D Typ-262 and M Monochrom bodies.

My current method is to add either an MD or MM prefix designation in the processed-out TIFF file names but, in light of today's events, perhaps a better system would be to insert the prefix in the DNG title instead as this will ensure the RAW files won't be over-written.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Thanks 2

Sorry this didn't work.

My M-D might have it's own numbering in firmware.

Trying out for first time as I have not yet taken 9999 pics with my M-D.

With new formatted SD card and a copy of M-D one file changed name to L1010001.

I took a picture, the naming just continue it's numbering as before, not L1010002.

As side note, using this for many years to separate " files from different digital M" on my SD card I name the card with the same  M name.

Then the important part, when I copy the SD card in HD or computer, I increment folder name one digit.

This works with M-D even if the files names are L100xxxx, the folder names are different, for example now I read 138LEICA (folder).

• Thanks 1

Thanks very much, Arnaud, for both the suggestion and the trial run!

I don't seem to remember having any problem with the numbering from my other bodies - and my M9-P had reached over 77,000 before it was released - so perhaps the issue is M-D specific?

I'm in La Rochelle at the moment so, slightly annoyingly, can't verify how things from previous bodies were logged on my back-up drives but I seem to think that the Folder Number became a part of the File Number. Was that true? If so; was that something I set up using the rear screen options?

For the time being I'm now re-naming my DNG files with a MD or MM prefix as mentioned earlier. That will be perfectly suitable although a little bit of a PITA to remember to execute!

Philip.

I haven't hit the 10000 mark yet but was planning to simply rename all my old files ie batch change filename from L100xxxx to L101xxxx but | realise I would have to do this to all my backups as well. Then the next time the clock rolls over I would rename L100xxxx to L102xxxx to leapfrog that batch and so on ...