MP deliveries?

I picked-up a silver one just a couple of months ago and this was already very difficult. Leica Wetzlar told me that the orders are back to the high level of the early 2000 years, so they are really struggling to satisfy those. Might be that black paint has an even bigger backlog?

1 hour ago, yeeper said:

Has anyone recently gotten a new delivery on an MP black paint?  They seem to be on perpetual back order.

I received a black paint MP this past week, but sadly it's on it's way back to Leica France via my dealer because the rear ASA dial was stuck on 100 ASA right out of the box............Now I have to wait for it's replacement which they promised would be soon, we'll see.

I do like though that it really does appear that more people are ordering/buying film M Leica's, and other film cameras too mostly used I guess in that case. It's interesting and maybe a small indication that many are getting tired of the constant 2 years or less pressure and desire to "upgrade" on the digital side of things, certainly so in my case. Of course there's also more than a few Leica M buyers that are purchasing them for the "bling"....but that's ok, it helps keep Leica ticking over which is only a good thing for those that use their cameras enough to need a good CLA or service now and again.

When I bought my ALC black paint MP 10 years ago, I was lucky, as I just got one of the last slots in the batch. They make them in batches, to order. If you have just missed a batch then you may have to wait several months for the next batch numbers to be filled.

IIRC, there are only a handful of staff at Wetzlar who can now make film cameras, and I expect that they are very busy.

The summer holidays are coming up soon too, so that makes a difference to delivery times.

26 minutes ago, petermullett said:

many are getting tired of the constant 2 years or less pressure and desire to "upgrade" on the digital side of things

Are they pressured by Leica to buy in to the latest fad or is it Leica who is pressured by them to deliver the latest fad?

• Like 1

Or is it other people who pressurise people to get the latest fad?

There is nothing wrong with companies improving their products. No one is forced to buy the newest thing just because it's newer. We, as sentient beings with minds of our own, have to stop that mentality for the sake of the planet and future generations.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, ianman said:

Are they pressured by Leica to buy in to the latest fad or is it Leica who is pressured by them to deliver the latest fad?

Yes..........

vor 3 Stunden schrieb andybarton:

IIRC, there are only a handful of staff at Wetzlar who can now make film cameras, and I expect that they are very busy.

Another topic is the limited throughput of the manufacturing machines in Portugal and at suppliers in Germany. As I got told some of them are the same used to manufacture parts for M3.

1 hour ago, andybarton said:

It's strange that many of us can resist such "pressure" though.

As you said earlier, it's hard to see how Leica is pressuring anyone to buy simply by releasing a new or updated camera.  Lack of buyer self control seems to be the bigger issue 😉

51 minutes ago, logan2z said:

As you said earlier, it's hard to see how Leica is pressuring anyone to buy simply by releasing a new or updated camera.  Lack of buyer self control seems to be the bigger issue 😉

Agreed - I bought an M4 in 1968 (and 3 lenses in the next couple years), an M6 in 1985, and no other Leica gear until 2009 when I retired and went crazy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, petermullett said:

it really does appear that more people are ordering/buying film M Leica's, and other film cameras too mostly used I guess in that case. It's interesting and maybe a small indication that many are getting tired of the constant 2 years or less pressure and desire to "upgrade" on the digital side of things, certainly so in my case.

I think you are making a valid point here, and one that I can empathize with. The struggle is real – and I suspect most of us can admit to "chasing the dragon" at one point in our lives. That is just the way consumer markets work, even if, apparently, there are heroes amongst us immune to the temptations of consuming. 

Personally, one day I merely realized that for a couple of years I had not paid much attention to digital body updates. Thus, quitting was for me a gradual but liberating experience, although this act alone did not cure GAS. In contrast, what I've come to find is that, with film gear, one can direct GAS towards more durable cravings.

I hope this newfound general enthusiasm for film photography gets support from manufacturers, Leica or otherwise, in the form of new bodies. I'm sure I could come up with justifications for buying just one more film body – just one last time.

3 hours ago, andybarton said:

It's strange that many of us can resist such "pressure" though.

I am really trying to resist the pressure to get one of the new Nikon Z fc (retro) mirrorless cameras with the 28/2.8 prime.  Probably going to fail, again...

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, jukka said:

there are heroes amongst us immune to the temptations of consuming.

But there is nothing heroic about it. I am perfectly happy with my almost 12 year old M9, I have no need to upgrade and more importantly, due to the specs of subsequent models, I do not want to upgrade... not Leica anyway as things are looking. In fact as I have said many times before there is no upgrade path from the M9, only side grade as the sensor tech is no longer available. It’s like using the word upgrade when changing types of film... they are different rather than one being evolved from another.

Edited by ianman
  • Like 1

For me the M10 platform provided various improvements over the M9, unrelated to IQ, including more robust build (weather sealing, tolerances and reliability), improved VF (diameter, magnification and eye relief, as well as 2m frame line optimization vs 1m), quieter operation, slimmer form factor, etc.  Any other improvements (ISO range, etc) were an added bonus. Others may not care about or value these changes. Choices are good.

edit… just recognized thread topic… sorry for digression 

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

5 hours ago, ianman said:

But there is nothing heroic about it. I am perfectly happy with my almost 12 year old M9, I have no need to upgrade and more importantly, due to the specs of subsequent models, I do not want to upgrade... not Leica anyway as things are looking. In fact as I have said many times before there is no upgrade path from the M9, only side grade as the sensor tech is no longer available. It’s like using the word upgrade when changing types of film... they are different rather than one being evolved from another.

Same here. I’m very content to have an M-D 262 as the only digital Leica body. Lenses on the other hand…

Has anyone received an MP recently through Leica Store Manchester?  That's where my order is (from last year).  To keep my ear to the ground at a secondary dealer, I signed up for stock alerts at B&H.  I keep getting notices of "We haven't forgotten about you!  It's still back ordered."  So I'm assuming Leica Store Manchester is also getting zero MPs from Wetzlar.