What do you collect ? Bodies or lenses ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A year ago, I bought a Leica M6 to get back into film photography. Little did I know, it was the beginning of a fascinating journey into the Leica world. 

Over the past 12 months, realizing how fast the prices are skyrocketing, I acquired a bunch of lenses before they become more expensive. 

As a user, I’m confident that all I need is two bodies and two lenses to be happy and not need anything else: an M10R with a 35 Summilux Pre aspherical + an SL2S with a 28 Summilux. 

That being said, I’ve acquired a dozen lenses with collector value that I love to own and use once in a while when I feel like a change. It’s starting to look a little like a collection. 

Then, I wanted to have some nice bodies to use my lenses. So I got two beautiful Ms. The M10R BP and the MP3 BP (I also own a regular MP BP + MP silver + M7 BP) 

I am at a point where I need to give a direction to my “collection” for future acquisitions. I need to chose between focusing on lenses or in bodies. 

There are two bodies I love that I am considering to buy: MP Kyoto + M7 Hermès. 

But there are also beautiful lenses I dream to own. 

My question, or to put it better, the conversation id like to have with you guys is: would you rather collect lenses or bodies, if you had to chose between the two ? 

I know that choosing in renouncing, but when I start something, I like to do it perfectly, and I need to chose between one or the others. 

I’m at a point where if I chose bodies, I have enough lenses to use on my future bodies, and if I chose lenses, I have enough bodies to use with my future lenses. 

So if you had an enveloppe of money dedicated to collecting, what would you go for ? Five bodies with fifty lenses, of fifty bodies with 5 lenses. 

Edited by Steven

I should say that there is a particular event triggering this dilemma for me. 

i just bought a very expensive MP3 BP. It’s gorgeous. 
i also just found a very expensive camera I’ve wanted for a while. The MP Kyoto. There are only 100 of them and you don’t get the chance to buy one every day. Unique opportunity. But if I add this second beautiful collector M, I know I will not be able to stop there, and it would unreasonable for me to pursue the collection of bodies and lenses at the same time. So I need to choose a path. 

7 minutes ago, Steven said:

Gimme a few examples ! I need shopping ideas. 

craving this one right now : 85mm f/1.5 Helios-40-2

others on the "waiting list":

58mm f/2 Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar

35mm f/2.4 Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon

50mm f/1.4 Super-Takumar

Pentacon  f2.8/135

Kuribayashi Orikkor f2/50

Aires Coral f1.9/45

Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar f1.4/55

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Steven said:

A year ago, I bought a Leica M6 to get back into film photography. Little did I know, it was the beginning of a fascinating journey into the Leica world. 

Over the past 12 months, realizing how fast the prices are skyrocketing, I acquired a bunch of lenses before they become more expensive. 

As a user, I’m confident that all I need is two bodies and two lenses to be happy and not need anything else: an M10R with a 35 Summilux Pre aspherical + an SL2S with a 28 Summilux. 

That being said, I’ve acquired a dozen lenses with collector value that I love to own and use once in a while when I feel like a change. It’s starting to look a little like a collection. 

Then, I wanted to have some nice bodies to use my lenses. So I got two beautiful Ms. The M10R BP and the MP3 BP (I also own a regular MP BP + MP silver + M7 BP) 

I am at a point where I need to give a direction to my “collection” for future acquisitions. I need to chose between focusing on lenses or in bodies. 

There are two bodies I love that I am considering to buy: MP Kyoto + M7 Hermès. 

But there are also beautiful lenses I dream to own. 

My question, or to put it better, the conversation id like to have with you guys is: would you rather collect lenses or bodies, if you had to chose between the two ? 

I know that choosing in renouncing, but when I start something, I like to do it perfectly, and I need to chose between one or the others. 

I’m at a point where if I chose bodies, I have enough lenses to use on my future bodies, and if I chose lenses, I have enough bodies to use with my future lenses. 

So if you had an enveloppe of money dedicated to collecting, what would you go for ? Five bodies with fifty lenses, of fifty bodies with 5 lenses. 

I’m a collector with maybe 50 Leicas and even more lenses. I also have other non Leica items in my collection, going back to the mid 19th Century. While I have many M cameras and lenses, my main interest is in the LTM models particularly from 1925 - 1935 and also in the period 1948-1952. I have about 7 M film cameras, but I have no interest in ‘Fancy Dan’ special editions or paint jobs. The list of of Leica/Leitz items is very wide, particularly when you include the accessories. You seem to be looking at quite a narrow range of items. Unless you are planning to build a museum I would suggest that you keep on that narrow path and buy the ones you like. That is the advice which I got when I was starting out.

William 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, willeica said:

I’m a collector with maybe 50 Leicas and even more lenses. I also have other non Leica items in my collection, going back to the mid 19th Century. While I have many M cameras and lenses, my main interest is in the LTM models particularly from 1925 - 1935 and also in the period 1948-1952. I have about 7 M film cameras, but I have no interest in ‘Fancy Dan’ special editions or paint jobs. The list of of Leica/Leitz items is very wide, particularly when you include the accessories. You seem to be looking at quite a narrow range of items. Unless you are planning to build a museum I would suggest that you keep on that narrow path and buy the ones you like. That is the advice which I got when I was starting out.

William 

Thank you for the advice. Where do you keep your collection ? Hidden or visible ? 

18 minutes ago, ianman said:

I’m not a collector but if I were and collected lenses, I’d be sure to get the appropriate hoods... I was astonished at how much the cost of these had risen in the past few years. For some reason collectors seem to like boxes too.

I’ve always refused to buy a lens if it didn’t have the original hood. When I think about it, just the hoods of my two 35AA and two Steel Rims cost more than a new 35APO. 

boxes are a plus, for resale value, but I don’t attach to much importance to it. I have few lenses that come with their box. I care more for optical and cosmetic condition.