Leica 90 mm 11670 v 11633

marcg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I be grateful if somebody could run very quickly through the differences between these two lenses.

They've been discussed in bits and pieces on this forum but I can't find any particular point by point comparison.

I think I'm particularly interested in their use with the macro adapter 14652

Thanks

Marc, most of answers are in Macro-Elmar-M Wiki

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica Order No. - 11633-black - 11634-silver - 11629-black set MACRO-ADAPTER-M - 11670-black "big top" version

Thanks for this. I was looking for a bit more narrative then rather than a list of specifications.

I expect the wiki pages useful for somebody who is extremely technical – and I am certainly not

You have some useful links to discussions, in Wiki page bottom.

Not only technical but real users, follow some links,

like this one for example

myself, in M8/M9 days, it was the older 90mm 11633 with to 1/3 "goggled eyes" that I used for years.

Never need to go to the newer 11670 as I use other SLR lenses when LV/EVF is available on my M.

Edited by a.noctilux

Thanks for this. It's helpful.

I keep on seeing that the adapter is designed for use with the 11670. I'd like to know what disadvantages they would be using it with the 11633 – which is generally speaking a slightly cheaper lens.

One of the problems with many of the discussions on this forum are that they don't refer to them by their numbers. They refer to them simply as "old" and "new" but as there are at least three collapsible lenses, it's never really clear what they're talking about

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 18 Minuten schrieb marcg:

They refer to them simply as "old" and "new" but as there are at least three collapsible lenses, it's never really clear what they're talking about

The really old collapsible 90mm Elmar lens from the Sixties had no macro capabilities, so I guess when "old" and "new" are mentioned in a thread on the Macro-Elmar 90mm lens, then the posts refer to the earlier 633 and 634 lenses as "old" and to the 670 lens as "new". Optically, there is no difference at all between those lenses, and the 633/634 lenses were also sold with an adapter. The only thing I do not know is whether the new adapter may be used with the "old" lens, and vice versa. 

Andy

Edited by wizard

I've just discovered this discussion here https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4539403

Which pretty well covers everything and in fact the OP in that thread says

I have searched on the Internet and found very little answers to any of these questions.

Which confirms the impression I had formed.

One very interesting comment is

they made the adapter the same length as the lens extension

and so what I'm starting to understand is that you can use either of the two versions of the 90 mm lens with the adapter in place and in that case you would use the lens and its collapsed state as a normal lens but extended for macro.
The advantage of the newer version – 11670 – seems to be that because you can lock it closed, the lens is more stable.

I'll have to read the thread a few more times and do a bit more looking around to see what other conclusions I draw

Lots of details here regarding the macro adapter versions: 

Differences between ‘old’ and ‘new’ 90mm macro:

New version:

• 6 bit coded
  • Locking extension
  • Can focus to infinity with latest version macro adapter M

Old version:

• Not coded from factory
  • Non-locking extension
  • Can focus to infinity with latest version macro adapter M

Edited by beewee
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, wizard said:

The only thing I do not know is whether the new adapter may be used with the "old" lens 

Works perfectly. Only problem with 90/4 macro v1 (11633 or 11634) is to change aperture in retracted position. One has to extend the tube a bit before retracting it. Hardly convenient but easily feasible and the clip-on hood can be reversed for transportation contrary to the current one, reason why i kept the 11633. Here 11633 with macro adapter v2 (14652) on Sony A7s mod.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1