Recommended Filters / Accessories for a New M10-R Shooter

tedwill

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello. I just ordered the M 10 R and the 50 mm Summilux F1.4 lens to start.  I plan on starting from scratch and learning to use this camera properly.  I have many years experience with film SLRs and digital SLRs with many lenses.  My kids are grown and I'm no longer shooting their sporting events.  I really want to spend my time with street photography and buildings, architecture, landscapes, etc.  I'm starting with the 50 and will add a 35 APO (still on the waiting list) and get a 21 later on.   What filters for the 50 Summilux would you recommend?  I was thinking a basic UV to protect the lens and perhaps an ND filter for bright settings.  

Thanks in advance,

-Ted

The standard 50 Summilux M has a pull-out hood and good coating; no need for any protective filter.  The M10-R has low base ISO and excellent highlight recovery, so generally no need for ND filter with hand held daylight exposures.  The only filters I use for M shooting (post M8.2 days) are colored filters with a Monochrom.      My SL2 serves other needs, some of which require filters.  YMMV.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

The standard 50 Summilux M has a pull-out hood and good coating; no need for any protective filter.  The M10-R has low base ISO and excellent highlight recovery, so generally no need for ND filter with hand held daylight exposures.  The only filters I use for M shooting (post M8.2 days) are colored filters with a Monochrom.      My SL2 serves other needs, some of which require filters.  YMMV.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff!  I'll be interested to learn when you shoot with the SL2 vs the M10.

1 minute ago, tedwill said:

Thanks Jeff!  I'll be interested to learn when you shoot with the SL2 vs the M10.

M bodies with 28/35/50 focal lengths, RF only (since the 80’s). SL2 with native zooms, weather sealing, AF, etc…totally different experience, but similar to film days when I used an M, but also used SLRs (and other formats) for different needs and experiences.  I also use the SL75 with the SL2… never liked the 75mm frame lines with an M.

Jeff

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a same M10-R and the Summilux 50 ASPH and I do recommend 4-6 stop ND filters if you like to take your photos with the lens wide-open.

Summilux are ultra-fast for M bodies as the highest shutter speed for M is 1/4000 rather than 1/8000 in most DSLRs. I will have over exposure problem when I shot wide-open on F 1.4 in a sunny day.

I use the 46mm B+W ND for both my Summilux 35 and 50 and it worked perfectly.