SL2-S and/or SL2

tom0511

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there,

I have been shooting the SL2 for a long time and overall I am quite happy with the system and body.

I dont shoot much low light, so for most of my images the high ISO quality is fine. I use up to 6400 max on the SL2.

I still somtimes thing that the even better high ISO of the SL2-s would allow me more flexibility when takin images of my kids, dog, family, sports inside (for example more freedoom to also stop down a little more if needed, or maybe to get better shaddow rendering, ...). So I wonder if it is worth to add a SL2-s as a second body.

So I wonder from those who shoot (or owned) both cameras, or have switched from SL2 to SL2-s: from which ISO upwards do you find the noise advantage visible? Do you feel you have gained much for real life photograpy adding a SL2-s body?

In good light I see the SL2 as an advantage in regards of cropping ability and in regards of moirree.

15 minutes ago, tom0511 said:

So I wonder from those who shoot (or owned) both cameras, or have switched from SL2 to SL2-s: from which ISO upwards do you find the noise advantage visible? Do you feel you have gained much for real life photograpy adding a SL2-s body?

In good light I see the SL2 as an advantage in regards of cropping ability and in regards of moirree.

There's a visible difference even at 1600.

While I'd love to have more native cropping ability, since Adobe introduced Super Resolution this is starting to be a non-issue for me

Edited by Simone_DF
  • Like 2

Tom0511,  I owned the SL2 and now the SL2-S.  My experience, I realized that I didn't need the MPs of the SL2.  Yet, I did need a better low light sensor performance for my genre of photography.  The SL2-S delivered for my needs; better low light performance, lower noise and less MPs.  Hard to give you advice on a second body.  Personally, I have a SL Type 601 as a second body solely for the sensor rendering.  It renders better color IMO and for my landscape photography.  For me, I gained more for switching to the SL2-S.  r/ Mark

• Like 3

Night and day difference.  Have been with the SL systems from the original SL to the SL2 and then the SL2-S.  The SL2-S is incredible in low light and in all other situations.  Pictures taken at 6400 are very useable.  I still have all three, can't give up the original SL, but the SL2 will be sold.  Just have not been happy with the noise in shadows even in situations with plenty of light.  The 24MP files from the SL2-S are plenty big to even print very BIG prints.

• Like 4

Just curious, for the people who say it is a night and day difference at 1600 etc, are you downsizing the SL2 to 24mp? Doing so should greatly reduce the noise and is a more apples to apples comparison. Personally, I have not had any issue with noise from the SL2, but I do not have the SL2s, so I cannot comment on how they compare.

Overall, it sounds like to me that if you don't use low light photography that much, and you don't go above ISO 6400, that the SL2 should be great for you. It sounds to me more like you just want to buy something (which is fine). If that is the case, then perhaps the SL2-S, or maybe a faster lens? If you are only using the zooms, then perhaps a fast prime would help more than the camera.

Gerade eben schrieb Stuart Richardson:

Just curious, for the people who say it is a night and day difference at 1600 etc, are you downsizing the SL2 to 24mp? Doing so should greatly reduce the noise and is a more apples to apples comparison. Personally, I have not had any issue with noise from the SL2, but I do not have the SL2s, so I cannot comment on how they compare.

Overall, it sounds like to me that if you don't use low light photography that much, and you don't go above ISO 6400, that the SL2 should be great for you. It sounds to me more like you just want to buy something (which is fine). If that is the case, then perhaps the SL2-S, or maybe a faster lens? If you are only using the zooms, then perhaps a fast prime would help more than the camera.

Thank you for the open answer. I am fine with lenses and have the primes I believe to need. Dont use the zoom that often any more. However I also experience, that specially with such sharp combo, shallow DOF (open apparture) does only work well for certain subjects/situations. 

• Thanks 1

I'll agree that the SL2s files are much cleaner than the SL2 files, but I wouldn't own both, unless I needed to use 2 at a time like at weddings or whatever. Both bodies are awesome but I actually prefer the smaller files. 

Not a bad position to be in though :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tom0511 said:

Hi there,

I have been shooting the SL2 for a long time and overall I am quite happy with the system and body.

I dont shoot much low light, so for most of my images the high ISO quality is fine. I use up to 6400 max on the SL2.

I still somtimes thing that the even better high ISO of the SL2-s would allow me more flexibility when takin images of my kids, dog, family, sports inside (for example more freedoom to also stop down a little more if needed, or maybe to get better shaddow rendering, ...). So I wonder if it is worth to add a SL2-s as a second body.

I originally owned the SL & then the SL2 when it was launched @ end of 2019. The SL2 is probably the best digital camera I've ever owned. 2 weeks ago I bought an SL2-S as a back-up for the SL2. I'd been using the CL as a back-up up to now, but found that a little frustrating (size related), so I opted for the SL-2S.

Which camera is better?

That's a very subjective question & is wholly dependent on the type of photography that you do & the subjects that you shoot. In my case I do mainly wildlife & birds. I had the opportunity to try out the the 2 cameras side by side on a short safari last week. Each camera has its own strengths & weaknesses.

Overall, there's no question that the SL2-S produces cleaner files, even more so at higher ISOs, even though I very seldom venture above 1600 ISO. This is probably a function of the generally bright lighting conditions in Southern & East Africa. In any event, Topaz AI does an excellent job of dealing with noise in post production. 

However the  ability to crop , especially with distant & difficult to get to subjects, makes the SL2 more attractive for me. I found the SL2-S a little limiting in this aspect & questioned myself whether I should've rather purchased a second SL2 body instead? 

There's no right or wrong answer, It's all subjective & totally dependent on the type of photography that you do.

Edited by michali
  • Like 6

I use both. 

kids, dog, family”… the SL2-S absolutely shines, because regularly I’m shooting inside without flash and need to stop down. This is where I use the SL2-S the most. In good light… give me the megapixels of the SL2! But in lower light the SL2-S gives me around 3 more usable stops. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Alistairm said:

I use both. 

kids, dog, family”… the SL2-S absolutely shines, because regularly I’m shooting inside without flash and need to stop down. This is where I use the SL2-S the most. In good light… give me the megapixels of the SL2! But in lower light the SL2-S gives me around 3 more usable stops. 

jumping back in, I couldn't agree with this approach, but would add when in doubt (or hybrid situations) I find myself picking up the SL2-S more than the SL2.  I do also agree with a prior post that the cropping ability of the SL2 files is a fantastic benefit.  I went back last night and was looking at some of my older SL2 shots and the resolutions is a huge advantage for this use case.  If you are fortunate to own both, then I think that is a good direction.  If I had to pick one it would be the SL2-S, but I wouldn't own two SL2's.  I am still on the fence of whether I will keep my SL2, but will probably be debating this decision until it just makes sense to keep it and own both.  

I would strongly recommend reading the review of the SL2-S and comparison to the SL2 and SL on the Reid Reviews site (there's a subscription fee but if you're seriously considering between these cameras I think it's worth it IMHO).  I have the SL2 and like the larger files for cropping and relative lack of moire (which you do see on the 24mp cameras sometimes).  At the same time, I don't love the high ISO performance of the SL2 in terms of noise.  But as shown in Reid's review, when looking at equivalent file sizes from these cameras, the noise differences, while still there to some extent, aren't as dramatic.  For me, since I max out my ISO at 6400 when using the SL2, the difference in noise isn't dramatic enough for me to switch to (or add) the SL2-S.  And I can use a noise reduction program like Topaz Denoise AI to reduce the noise further.  However, your use cases and standards may differ, so again I would recommend checking out his review, which includes useful examples taken at various ISOs.

I still reserve the right to get a SL2-S if I change my mind ;)

Good luck.

• Like 2

Thank you. I have just read the Reid-SL2-s review. I have had an about long time anyways, but overseen the review.

At higher ISO one can see the difference in those images, specially in the shadows.

Thank you for all the experience in this thread. Since I have heavily invested in SL system (lenses and SL2) I have decided todo to get a SL2-s for indoor and lowlight use. As a gear oriented guy I went through different systems over the years. The combo M and SL (depending on the occasion) seems to work best for me. The SL is a great combination between image quality , user interface and flexibility. Even if the AF is not class leading.  We will see how often I use which SL2/SL2-s body. I will also post my experience, once I do have some. I do not plan to sell the SL2 though.

Edited by tom0511
  • Like 5

16 hours ago, tom0511 said:

Thank you. I have just read the Reid-SL2-s review. I have had an about long time anyways, but overseen the review.

At higher ISO one can see the difference in those images, specially in the shadows.

Thank you for all the experience in this thread. Since I have heavily invested in SL system (lenses and SL2) I have decided todo to get a SL2-s for indoor and lowlight use. As a gear oriented guy I went through different systems over the years. The combo M and SL (depending on the occasion) seems to work best for me. The SL is a great combination between image quality , user interface and flexibility. Even if the AF is not class leading.  We will see how often I use which SL2/SL2-s body. I will also post my experience, once I do have some. I do not plan to sell the SL2 though.

Enjoy the ride.  I promise you will love the files coming out of the SL2-S.  I use it with both SL and M lenses and I am very pleased for everyday use and street.  I love shooting with the summilux lenses in low light.  Example picture taken with SL2-S and the 35 1.4M at ISO 6400.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

And one street portrait taken late night with 50 Summilux at around F4.0 and 6400 ISO.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi,

In my own experience SL2 is perfect to 3200, and SL2-S is perfect to 6400. I love both camera. SL2 has more pixel and ability to crop. SL2-S is better in video, and low light. But honestly there is no huge difference between these two beasts. For me, to have the SL2 and SL2-S is the perfect combo. If only one, I would pick the SL2-S.

And about AF, yes SLs are not class leading, but at the end, the Leica SL2 and lenses is the best system you can have IMHO (I own also a D850, a Z7, a R5 and a A7RIII), not considering medium format.

Regards. M.

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/3/2021 at 1:42 AM, tom0511 said:

Curious to hear back if you purchased the SL2-S and if yes, do you see the differences shared in the various posts?

8 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

The SL2-S has better color science so you’ll find yourself grabbing that one most of the time, I bet.

Can you post an example? Primarily because I love the color in the SL2, and "better" sounds fishy to me. The S3 also had "better" color than its predecessors, but I preferred the S006...

Edited by Stuart Richardson

vor einer Stunde schrieb Stuart Richardson:

Can you post an example? Primarily because I love the color in the SL2, and "better" sounds fishy to me. The S3 also had "better" color than its predecessors, but I preferred the S006...

Look at the cobblestones in the first two. I don’t think it’s the temperature. The antifascism protest on the bridge, too. I tried to match WB as much as I could in LR. It’s very subtle but the blue, the black,, the orange, every color looks nicer, warmer with the SL2-S. It reminds me of the original TL a bit, just in FF.

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-sg9gfG/